ToonzPremium (2D Animation tool) now Open-Sourced

Concerning light works, I don’t think the two are comparable, since light works isn’t open source at all. (I guess neither is toonz until the 26th). But regardless of license, once opentoonz is released, it will already be a huge step ahead of where light works is. The light works promised it would go open source and then seems to have forgotten about that detail. :confused:

Lightworks devs delivered an epic fail in terms of (open) source code :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree wholeheartedly. I jumped on the Lightworks bandwagon, only to discover that the developers decided to change their minds after the large influx of new users. They turned out to be a rather opportunistic bunch of people in the end. It is a shame, because I did enjoy Lightworks as an editor.

Lightworks “Free edition” is a complete joke - more of a trial version. I do hope OpenToonz will not follow Editshare’s bad example.

Will it be available in english?

That’s a really good question. The whole Toonz Premium website and the interface are in English; but with a Japanese company releasing OpenToonz and hosting it on a github page written in Japanese, I’m also curious whether we’ll initially see a Japanese UI.

I’m super antsy, looking forward to tomorrow. My most pressing question, throwing this out into the void - will we be seeing only source first, or will we see some binaries?? I don’t suppose anybody’s read anything further about what we can expect?

Nothing new as far as I know, though I did send and email to try and set up an interview. No response on that yet, either.

And for me… I’d much prefer a release of source code instead of binaries if they were to choose one over the other. Releasing the source at least shows that they’re serious about making Toonz open source the right way.

From what I understand, even though it’s now owned by a Japanese company, it’s still being developed by the same team. I have no reason to believe the initial release won’t be any different than it is now as far as language support goes.
I’m more worried about this supposed “open source” release. What’s the license? Will it contain the full suite of tools? So many questions…

how much is this time to be added on GMT time?

Haha, I was wondering that too. We’re talking “Saturday 11 am” (that time is correct, isn’t it? Google Translate had one job to do) Japan Standard Time, yes?? Edit: Unless the Github page is entirely misleading in its brevity. Looks like that time refers to a seminar where the Dwango chairman will be presenting, and not to anything else specifically.

@Fweeb - right, I assumed source was going to be released (it is Github, and it is called OpenToonz :). But my curiosity is whether we’ll need to wait for some generous soul to provide some builds, or whether they’ll be available right away.

it will be released 11 am japanese time. It is 7 am in japan now. That makes it 4 hours from now!

https://github.com/opentoonz

I will try to compile it on Ubuntu after I have some sleep - given that it can be compiled on linux. If not, then i guess i will have to wait till someone puts up winderz builds - which i am guessing digital video will put up right away - so they can show it.

source code is out now - much earlier than expected! This is their license:

Copyright (c) 2016, DWANGO Co., Ltd.All rights reserved.Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.3. Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

the readme is all in japanese :frowning:

they have several git repos for plugins and stuff:

it depends on qt and cmake, so it should be easy to compile on linux, but i am not sure if the build scripts are prepared for it.
https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/blob/master/how_to_build_win.md
https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/blob/master/how_to_build_macosx.md

they have an english website, so that is a good sign:

So that means you can grab source code, and move it into blender, as long as the license is included in blender somewhere?

why do you want to move it into blender? xD Lets get the application running in english first.

It’s a BSD license

Yeah, what I meant was if there are any really neat NPR shaders and lighting models, jam those into blender… If this is possible.

no. blender is gpl3 now which is viral. blender changes all code to be under the gpl and that clearly says its copywrite may not be replaced or omitted. i think blender should move to an mit license or something not so viral. maybe at the next rewrite the license can be changed.

Sweeeeeet, there’s a Windows binary. Downloading now. Here’s hoping I don’t have to edit this post with a more somber tone! :slight_smile:

All good here. Installs without a hitch and plays well with my tablet!

You can’t just move code from one application to another and expect stuff to work, the many differences in how the two applications are coded (from architecture to implementation methods to variable/function names) means it would take far more than simply hooking the features up to the Blender UI.

In a way, the code in this toon software could have something for use in Blender’s freestyle and grease pencil functionality, maybe even the compositor for NPR purposes.

If blender makes any use of opentoonz at all, I first and foremost interested in interop. That is, the 2 apps working together to make a kickass 2d animation pipeline. The first thing that comes to mind is importing vectorized cels from opentoonz into blender as grease pencil layers, which can be further manipulated using Daniel Lara’s upcoming tools. With such a workflow you would essentially add a full 3d environment with all of blender’s power to your shots. It’s a frickin holy grail of toolsets.

Downloaded the app for Windows, and installed it. I have been playing around for an hour or two, or so, now, and no crashes, everything works!

The node editor is divided into a view (camera) and FX setup. There is a good range of effects available. The X-sheet approach is very classical, and works well. There are no limitations as far as rendering goes: 2k, 4k, 8k,… all works.

This is very much geared towards frame-by-frame 2d animation productions. And it is definitely NOT for everyone - it is too much of a “work (war) horse” for that. I suggest anyone interested in using OpenToonz will need knowledge about classical 2d animation production workflows before you even open the application.

The GUI looks a tad clunky, but as far as I can ascertain, it belies the depth of the program. At least the GUI can be set to dark, medium, and light. It does work really well on my three screen setup: windows can be pulled into any of the screen, and the drawing/scene viewport screen can be switched to a full screen mode. Really cool.

Vector drawing tools work well with my Wacom, although the options seem a bit simple (but I haven’t looked too much yet at whether they can be customized in any way).

Some of the terminology takes some getting used to: a keyframe or animation cel is called a “level”.
But so far, so good. I haven’t touched the revisions or team stuff. I have a feeling I have only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

Word of warning to the uninitiated: This is some serious in-depth 2d animation software. But it is absolutely AMAZING this is now open sourced. I have been looking for more traditional animation software with X-sheet functionality - THIS IS IT!

Super!

edit Just discovered it has a skeleton and IK tools!

Nice piece of software, great way to start a weekend. Trying it now.

Hurry! Someone must implement right click select and themes!!!