Touchdown

Just awesome! I also would like very much a quick tutorial and some wireframes. :evilgrin:

Fantastic use of the material, the glossy reflection of the lights on the metal building to the left is beautiful. Great level of detail, I think moving the ship a little bit forward the camera, let say at the point the left engines cover a bit the second building on the left, would improve the general proportions of the scene.

Great work!

Thanks guys for the feedback. Animal, you’ve spotted a few interesting things. If I ever return to this piece, those points are where I’ll start.
In the meantime, Naturalpainter, here are a few wires and viewport images as well as a clay render. They should give you a fairly good idea of how I went about modeling the city. I’ve tried to follow Chris Stoski’s advice (“only model what you need”) and built the city accordingly. The only truly detailed pieces are the craft and the platform. The other elements got their details mainly from the textures, which keeps the piece quite low poly.

Attachments

Thank you very much, Bertrand! :smiley:

Hmmm, if the wireframe image were a bit bigger or with a close up of the main scene, it would be great! :slight_smile:

Hi Naturalpainter. These are screen grabs, hence the small resolution (the resolution of my screen). Is there any part in particular you’d like to see more of?

Superb work! Nice! NO CRITS! :smiley:

WOW! I am very impressed. Much better then many tv shows. It should go in the gallery. I don’t suppose you could do an animation?

By the way, what were your texturing techniques? Especially with the windows as those look very good.

–
Kevin

Hi Kevin. Thanks for the kind words. Animation is not really an option since this was rendered in Indigo (20 hours rendering time per frame would be a bit much). For the windows, I collected lots of night-time cityscape photos, created one big texture with just skyscraper windows on a black background, and used this texture as an emitter. The foreground buildings were rendered like that, the background buildings were rendered twice, once without windows and once with only the lights, composited in post.

Looks good. Vibe a-la oldschool scifi cover art. Don’t change a thing.

The ship and the two main buildings. But I don’t want to abuse! :smiley:

Keep the good work!

No problem, Naturalpainter. I’m grateful for the interest. Here are two Blender viewport close-ups (solid, since the wires were not very readable). Sorry it took so long.

Attachments

Errrm what is indigo?

oh got it! didnt know it was a render engine…so why is it better than yafray?

have been rather busy with my new job lately…but nice to see some really amazing work on my return to the forums…superb work, proves blender all over again. respect.

@anubis: indigo is an unbiased renderer, which means that the rendering is physically correct. Yafray is hugely approximated.

anubisZA: Downside of Indigo is: Images can take days to render. But I wouldn’t render with anything else :wink:

anuraag_01: Cheers man, very kind!

Moved to the gallery.

BgDM

Thanks BgDM. Much appreciated.

YES!! I am so glad this got in the gallery. It really inspired me.

–
Kevin

Really nice! You’re a rendering animal… do you ever sleep? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Neo! I do but I wish I didn’t have to. :wink: