Two devs hired with Valve Steam Workshop donations

This is amazing news indeed, can’t wait to see what they can cook up :smiley:

Also it’s great that the steam workshop agreement actually brings in this much money so shortly afterwards, hopefully this income will only grow with time.

Damn it, this is what comes from skimming the good news too fast… that said, a half year is not cheap either, so the point still stands right? RIGHT? sheepish

Xnormal 4 coming sometime Q1 2014 will work in Linux.

By the way, what happened to the spreadsheet? Can’t access it anymore.

Xnormal also can’t bake lightmaps ad far as I know and that’s pretty important for game devs.

Not much about it but the quality is very good you have to think as render engine also is not bad for general use gpus has not. I’m interested to laptops with AMD graphics, Intel as these two are the ones you can use almost any engine in real time with gpu.

Español
No se mucho del tema pero la calidad es muy buena hay que pensar como motor de render también, no será malo para uso general de gpus no?. Me interesa para laptops con graficos Amd , Intel ya que estos dos son los que no se puede usar casi ningun motor en tiempo real con gpu.

Not much about it but the quality is very good you have to think as render engine also is not bad for general use gpus has not. I’m interested to laptops with AMD graphics, Intel as these two are the ones you can use almost any engine in real time with gpu.

Español
No se mucho del tema pero la calidad es muy buena hay que pensar como motor de render también, no será malo para uso general de gpus no?. Me interesa para laptops con graficos Amd , Intel ya que estos dos son los que no se puede usar casi ningun motor en tiempo real con gpu.

Cool! but what about Mac? :wink:
I’m still little pissed that they dropped 32 bit systems…which is all I happen to have on both Linux and windows…

Still working for me using this link:

Note: that cage baking so far has the most amount of supporters…
I guess I’m not the only one that desperately wants this in blender.

I’ve seen this come up a few times in different places, such as this Google spreadsheet, but does anybody know definitively if there is an actual licence issue with having a Photoshop PSD or PSB importer? I know there were licence issues with linking to QuickTime, which is why it was dropped. Since QuickTime was used to import PSDs into Blender that ability was lost.

Adobe has published a publicly available file format document which explicitly states

This document is provided for 3rd parties to read and write the Photoshop native file format.

Is it really true that binary FBX can be reverse engineered and a basic importer implemented without licensing problems and yet there are issues over PSD?

Yeah, I think there’s some confusion over this. Importing PSD files should have no license issues, the problem is in using the QuickTime library.

Can’t we use OpenRaster then?

@Sinan, There are ways as me and others on here have discussed. But if youve fully integrated your realtime engine into blender with level editing ability, materials, lights etc you must have built a huge amount of code to track and convert. Im asking for a set API middle ware api that can be interfaced without having to code heavy on such issues per engine. If we get given a set API middle ware no matter what engine is being used we have the set universal interface for each of these sections relevant to any engine to plug into. On the baking side take a closer look at the papers and video on this thread i last added. HUGE level baking with near to ground truth within 23 mins on one card. Let me also make clear this is not the end game, but just the minimum, the new realm of engines wont need to bake a single thing, but that’s far beyond whats possible with blender at this point. I still say a realtime post pro engine through opengl makes more sense right now than BGE being re-writen. The BGE as is is dead, if just patch after patch was the way forward with realtime engines no new engines would ever be created. The fact is trying to update an old engine to new standards is 5 times harder than just starting from scratch with all the new tools and idea’s available at conception point. Hence work on a Yebis 2 style post pro engine that can be used for realtime or offline and benefit all Blender users. Then if enough funding for the realtime engine side of blender comes along, start work on a new cutting edge engine. People like me have already been working on new engine opengl designs for 6-12 months because repeated statements from devs saying the BGE is not of interest in any way to the devs.

While openraster would be great, and I am very much pro, doubtlessly others will dislike the fact ora can’t be opened in ps.

I think, the real reason psd isn’t implemented yet is because the fileformat is evil: https://code.google.com/p/xee/source/browse/XeePhotoshopLoader.m#102

That said, there’s at the least a few GPL opensource programs out there that open it to some extend, and layervault has a ruby implementation opensourced under MIT, so the developers wouldn’t habe to statt fro scratch.

@3dluver, would it kill you to use paragraphs?

I know close to nothing about OpenRaster, I couldn’t really find much information about it at all on the wikipage or their homepage or google. The only reason I suggested it is because a person on polycount said that it apparently supported the .psd format. However from the information I found it only mentions “being a PSD replacement” so it is likely that the person on polycount had misunderstood it.

However there must be some open library with .psd support. Otherwise Krita, Gimp and others wouldn’t be able to use it, right?

Half-Life 3 Confirmed :smiley:

Well I dont think it has been “confirmed” to the general public, but somewhat for the fans. Headcrab addled fans like myself will hone in on those little hints Gabe Newell gives for example. The code word for working on Half Life has been “Ricochet”, which Gabe said he was working on. Based on the direction of things and a sensitivity to the general flow of the game dev world/industry as a whole, I think its safe to predict that with that also comes the next Source engine… this will tie in directly to the Steamworkshop. Valve knows they make bank by creating a platform for gamers and developers in which they can create sell and buy content. Thus the next source will probably be competing as well with a competitive licensing platform for game creators and jump up there with the same dev market Unity/UDK are targeting. They will have the edge due to having the primary distribution platform as well.

I believe this is also why it is important for them to 1) get content creation tools on steam and 2) begin integration with a primary 3d package…the obvious choice is Blender since it is also the most accessible.

There is also a push for linux and the steam box, which will go head to head (hopefully) with current gen consoles. It creations one big circle for content creation, distribution, consumption all with Valve squarely in the circle, rewards guaranteed. In this case everyone is a winner, even the open source world which Valve supports.

really greats news for blender!! i’ve used blender for the steam workshop, and now for 3d artist, life in game engine will be much better!!

Thanks for confirming this.

Having read the Wikipedia entry on OpenRaster it seems to me that some of the confusion relates to the licence the file format description document is under rather than licensing issues over PSD. Though it’s not explict on the web page it looks like it could be part of the SDK documentation. It provides a link to the SDK user to user forum.

I’m not a lawyer, there may be terms of art involved here and the SDK licence may not actually mean what it appears to mean in every day English.

Depending on how you read it, the licence could either be rather alarming or not really a problem.

The SDK documentation license thing is annoying, I don’t know what it means precisely. But there are existing PSD implementations (for example in OpenImageIO), so we don’t necessarily need to even read any SDK documentation. For typical game dev you don’t need to support all the latest features in such PSD files anyway, usually just reading the composite image, or maybe some individual layers.

The openness of OpenRaster is much nicer in this regard of course. But mainly my point is: the reason we do not have PSD support is because no one has worked on it, not because a license makes it impossible.

Finally Valve NOTICED Blender :slight_smile: Really great and exciting news!
Thank you for the great work and the big patience, Devs!
Thank you for the support, Valve!

I really hope all this will drastically change the whole picture of how World perceive CG software devs and artists.

so how will they update us on what is going to be done and what isn’t?