Unreal Engine [thumbs down]

What do you mean, to use the unreal editor? The actual games itself are probably the most optised compared to other engines, as long as you’re not using graphic intensive jobs on your phone, i.e using baked lighting instead of dynamic etc.

You won’t be able to get away with using the editor anywhere other than a nicely spec’d desktop with a good cpu, lots of ram, and nice graphics card.

But I asked myself, why do I want to put my crappy games on a PS3? The answer was, So I could play it on a wide screen TV with joysticks. Well, I can do that now with the HDMI outputs from my laptop, to the TV, right? Problem solved.

But that implies you have a decent laptop with gaming graphics card. Most don’t - well I don’t, this is probably a matter of what you got… My intention was to give a game to my sister’s boyfriend so he could play on his xbox, they don’t have any pc’s as such, just a crappy laptop my sister uses for school. Don’t get me wrong, I get why sony and microsoft want to make sure you can’t just run anything on their consoles, for risk of malware etc, but an indie dev is going to sold by the idea of, hey I can put my game on my xbox or ps3, but of course they won’t unless they shell out money or are already established of a developer’s license. (Bearing in mind this is for personal usage and not for resale purposes)

It’s good to know that your will work if you get the chance to deploy for console, but let’s be fair only 1% are in that category, most have a team with 6 figure costs, in short, you’re probably right, why bother with compiling it for xbox or playstation?

hmmm

I meant if this laptop is sufficient to make a small level with lighting also and use the editor.
Btw, does UE4 use real time lighting as Cryengine ?
I can run sandbox Cryengine on low smoothly.

Unreal, has a sophisticated lighting setup, so it probably matches cryengine. As to whether it can run on your dual core, 4gig system, you’ll have to download the 6gb and test. I tried on my imac with 16gig of ram and ati graphics card and it was sluggish. I much prefer developing in unity, as the development area is much lighter, but only way is for you to try yourself.

Where UE4 falls down in my opinion is that as of now, it practically demands that you “keep up with the Joneses”. That means for optimal use, it’s recommended that you buy a 2000 dollar enthusiast machine every few years (and in this case you find out that the UE4 engine in reality is actually quite expensive).

I do hear though that they are set to work on optimizing things, but even then I’m not sure if you would be able to make games with it without at least having a high-end 500-1000 dollar GPU and 32 gigs of RAM or more (depending on the scale of game you want to make).

‘Anyone else share their experiences? I’d be glad to hear.’

Well, it seems that UE is for professionals.

Comparison to BGE is meaningless. Unreal, Unity, CryEngine focuses on creating real-time content. BGE is more like a toy, what is attached to Blender (like VSE).

1 Like

thank you for this thread which is totally not biased and is not preaching to the choir.

1 Like

In its current state, I would actually agree with this, because for one thing I open a project of mine in newer builds of Blender and something, without fail, is just broken.

Right now for instance, the BGE has a new bug where the application of force is completely broken (so most games will not work in the newest builds). Sadly, I don’t think the issue of fix A breaking feature B is not going to go away anytime soon because the codebase is still pretty messy and full of hacks.

Also at this point, if people really want to use an open-source engine with no royalty requirements along with being a bit lighter on hardware than UE4 (not to mention an engine that plays well with Blender), then the upcoming version of Godot is showing real promise with the tsunami of commits that have come in the last 2 weeks (many of them being patches from the community)

Along with the rapid rate of feature development and bugfixing, there will also be a lot of usability improvements (seriously, people who use the new version will not want to go back to version 1.1).

Another issue I see with both Unity and UE4 is that while their feature-set grows rapidly, so does their list of bugs and regressions (people on the communities for both engines often complain of projects breaking frequently and Godot seems to be avoiding that for now). Though the BGE is even worse in this regard in that there’s numerous regressions even with very little development.

I think I wrote here in BA before: BGE should have been a potential success story for Blender development overall; unfortunately it is not possible anymore.

I’m a Unity user for 8 years. I cannot say too much good things about it’s actual development.
What about Torque, by the way? I haven’t checked it since years…

The problem with BGE as it has been mentioned tirelessly, is every new version breaks something else, which is fine we know the developers are not so bothered about the BGE. The other thing that is annoying is that for all the good stuff, we rely on basically Martin Uptis, like lense flares, SSAO, real time water, area lights… this is dependent on whether he has released a fix for the latest version of blender, or you’re forced to download an unstable branch which may or maynot work on your OS.

You’re forever googling to find stuff and fix stuff, more so than you would be with unity where these things come right out of the box.

Yeah I do like godot, and who could deny something that is championed by ndee, trouble is it lacks some features unity has or will have and if you’re serious about game development you’re going to have a better time learning a tool we know is somewhat of an industry standard. Of course the majority of us will never be real game developers.

thank you for this thread which is totally not biased and is not preaching to the choir.

You’re welcome. :smiley:

Then what? There is Unity, use Unity, it doesn’t require such a powerful PC.
To be honest there are multiple dozens of game engines what are better than BGE by default.
I really cannot get your problem and why you are ‘trolling’ about Unreal.

Never life for indie game developers was easier than now; you have access to industry-level engines for free.

Unreal Engine 4 crashes and bugs out for me even with as little as the preset empty project opened up and nothing eals running on my 4 core gaming computer;
I have a great GPU too so it must just be just the UE4, I had 3 and it was awesome; I see now why they made 4 for free. They couldn’t sell it the way it is.

What should I say, Blender crashes more on my PC than Unreal. Should I have the conclusion that this is why is it free?,))))

There should be something else behind the crashes.

The Godot developers know where the engine is weak at the moment and have plans to work in those areas (like how it lacked in the usability department in version 1.1 and have been banging out the shortfalls for version 2).

The 3D part of Godot will also be poised to become a lot better once they implement the Vulkan API (and the current backend will be kept to maintain compatibility with older devices).

Maybe BGE could get better if you guys stopped complaining and talking crap about it and start making good content with it.
BGE is not good because less than 10% of its users are good enough to make things happen.

1 Like

The Godot developers know where the engine is weak at the moment and have plans to work in those areas (like how it lacked in the usability department in version 1.1 and have been banging out the shortfalls for version 2).

The 3D part of Godot will also be poised to become a lot better once they implement the Vulkan API (and the current backend will be kept to maintain compatibility with older devices)

Indeed, but if you’re going to invest time in learning a game engine why not opt for something that is developed by more than a handful of developers, that is more likely to be game industry standard, and seems to be a nice inbetween compared the to unreal bloat monster and BGE bug quandary?

Now of course, all of us here are guilty of using and loving blender, although it is not at all industry standard, and the vast majority of people here would actually do just well sticking with BGE for their games as the vast majority will never write game ready sellable games. So I guess I’m being somewhat contradictory.

Also, I’m not sure I completely agree with your points on the more popular the software - the more bleeding edge it is - the more bugs it will have. I mean I don’t disagree with this point, but one could say if you never modify or change the software to include more bleeding edge support - of course you will have a more stable software to use. But that doesn’t necessarily make it better?

There needs to be some sort of balance with new technology and stability?

What are your thoughts?

Maybe BGE could get better if you guys stopped complaining and talking crap about it and start making good content with it.
BGE is not good because less than 10% of its users are good enough to make things happen.

We’re not talking about little games here TwisterGE which I’m sure you’ve made. We’re talking about fast optimized games, which can load big game scenes, compile to a variety of different Operating systems, and don’t rely on one or two individuals for bleeding edge support.

Just in case, you were unclear on that :wink:

‘Maybe BGE could get better if you guys stopped complaining and talking crap about it and start making good content with it.
BGE is not good because less than 10% of its users are good enough to make things happen.’

So if I drive my car and I’m pushing the pedals stronger it magically becomes a Ferrari?:wink: