[Update] For Maya to Blender Migrators - Vismaya Tools Ver 1.1 Released

I’m extremely happy that someone has taken the initiative to make this addon. IMO, this will make the transition for Maya users so much easier. I would like to donate to the development of this addon and future development. Is there a donation page somewhere?

Thank you to everyone who is working on this addon and making it possible.

Cheers,
Vince

cool!!i wish blender 2.7 will be like this

Latest Addition - the menu set features some commonly used operations. Just to simplify it for the end users. Some features are additions of available addons. I think GPL permits them. Thanks for all those who encourage us. More on the way.

Thanks for creating permanent “Delete History” option in Vismaya Tools Adddon…,

I never used Maya, but 3ds max, thats a great tool. but why there is no sound on your video? and how can i get the quick-add tool at the top like yours ?

Very nice work! Thnx.

please change “TOOL_PROPS” to “TOOLS”.

!!! Amazing Work !!!

> it would be good to have a Tools Shelf and a Properties Ui Shelf Version…

I like that you are doing this work, I just installed the addon. But at first glance a few things are bugging me.
First, as krokodil already mentioned, it’ll be nice to change the region type to “TOOLS” instead of “TOOL_PROPS”. I did this myself for now.
Second, Since there are now tabs supported in the tool shelf, wouldn’t it be of convenience to give the Vismaya Tools its own? Well, maybe there’s some argument against it. I’d like to hear it!
Thrid, some collapsable sections would do the panel good. Now it’s always a long I have to scroll through.
Thanks!

And I’m wondering if you could implement one more feature. In Maya I’m able to save operator settings as a preset and when using the operator I can load the preset. This would be something useful to have in the “TOOLS_PROPS”.

I wanted to learn Python anyway, so I just started with making some changes to your init.py to make the toolshelf subjectively better.
I took the whole thing to its own tab and organized all the stuff in panels. It’s the first time I’ve done anything in python, so excuse me, if there’s something stupid or unoptimized or even a bug. Feel free to improve on it! :slight_smile:
I attached the code as a zip file. Just copy the init.py contained in it over the “old” one, if you want to use it.

And I attached a screenshot.

Attachments

Vismaya-TabPanel__init__.zip (14.4 KB)

Hi Vaquero, Thanks for the Fantastic Job. I’m sure blender heads will like this. I’ve already replaced this with the old one. Thanks for your contribution once again. Keep Supporting

Hi tHe.cReactor + Vaquero!

Thank you for small Maya world in Blender!
Please put "Turnaround Camera " to separate shelf like Snapping or Parenting. This function is not used very often (?) and Animation panel will be a little bit clear.

So how are things going with this project? This is an interesting area of work.

Here is an interesting article from 2010 that still seems relevant in some ways to what you are doing:

Good luck with your project. I think there are some good channels and needs that it fills.

Nice, man! Finally someone who sees blender next evolution the way I do.

but we should contribute on fixing it a bit, it’s too messy too cluttered and unorganized right now, although i love the effort, i use it myself, just because of the “freeze” buttons it has that are a blessing.

Hey all. Any Maya artists here in SoCal regularly using this tool for Blender? I organize most of the SoCal Blender User Meetings(BUMs) and am thinking about making this tool part of our Working Groups projects if there are people here in SoCal that want to contribute. We have a Maya tech artist on the team that is working on a specialized modification of the blender outliner. It will provide some of the Maya functionality and some new concepts that will bring the blender outliner closer to an acceptable professional level.

Please let me know. I would rather support this project than re-invent the wheel. I need to know though are there SoCal Maya crossover artists using this tool?

Thanks,
JT
SoCal BUMs organizer

Hearing that a maya tech artist is working on Outliner is music to my ears. However, I would DEFINETLY get in contact with the official maintainer of that part of blender and discuss it with him/her. Too many patches never make it into blender due to a lack of proper teamwork and communication with the the core blender team and outliner DESPERATELY needs to be improved and merged into trunk.

Thanks for the efforts!

There is no module owner for it. It’s pretty much orphaned. I’ll keep this thread and project informed on the progress. : )
Regarding the current adversarial politics of getting a patch approved, it seems specialty branches are the way to go so that’s our focus. Then the powers to be can decide if they want to catch up with us. ; )

Well, this project seems to be discontinued by the original authors, but I still found a copy on one of my hard drives. For any interested party, I decided to put it back online.
You can find it here: https://github.com/OlafHaag/VisMaya_Tools

Now that there are application templates and custom manipulators in Blender, it might be more useful for migrating Maya users to utilize these instead. But for now, this old addon must suffice.
I didn’t check if all the functionality still works, only that it loads. So if you find a bug, feel free to fix it and make a pull request, if you like.