Valchion - Game Suspended

Not sure yet, but I have a pistol and a machine gun right now. The pistol will be more powerful than the rifle per-bullet, but the rifle fires much faster. However, you have to pick up ammo for most weapons - the pistol will probably have infinite ammo.

EDIT: Okay, I changed the building to be less busy according to a suggestion I got over at TIGForums. In addition, I’ve gotten the explosion sprite up, though it’s still pretty WIP.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/ExplosionAnimBig.gif

Attachments

Explosion is very nice, not too many frames - playing just the right speed. Keep up the great work Solar. :slight_smile:

Looking great so far, congratulations!

Thanks, you guys. I still messed about with the bank’s wall tile and the scene outside the bank a little bit - I think it’s time to move on to new locations and mechanics.

I got the explosion spawning after you destroy the enemy (which you can target with a keypress), which is good. One problem that has arisen is rolling while targeting - he currently will roll toward the targeted enemy, no matter what direction you push. Besides that, though, it’s going well.

Attachments

Maybe you could add some shadowing effects to it it looks nice, have you tried to blend modern shading with oldschool shading to see how it would look like?

Yeah, I do have some dynamic lighting in the bank - it looks pretty good. You can see it in the video. Perhaps I can make the sun lamp look more evident by tweaking the values… I’ll have to see. Thanks!

Here’s another devlog video.

Never fixed that video above to be in the post. Did it right now. In other news, I got a runtime to work. :smiley:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/SoldierOfYES.png

GUI works and everything. It was painless, but only because I had worked with this issue before. In order to run the game without mipmapping, you have to use a command line argument. Since I would rather not have to distribute batch scripts, I made a game scene that checks to see if the game has no mipmapping enabled. If not, it starts the game again with mipmapping disabled and closes the current game. The result is that the game comes up for a second or two, closes, and starts again. The second time, mipmapping is disabled, so the game continues to the first scene. It’s not painless, but it works. The console is present, too, but I think I can disable that with a command line argument, as well.

Welp, here’s another little update. Got the sewer pretty much finished… I should probably make it actually 3D rather than 2D planes like that, so that’s something else to work with. I’m still trying to find a nice style, as the 3D fencing doesn’t look the same as the rest of the world, really. Anyway, it’s a WIP. The sewer water animates already, which is good.

Attachments

I do not like the sewer being so 3-d! aha.
Sorry, but I fell in love with your original style, I think the sewer entrance should be done the same way as the trees.
You perspective is great, reminds me of the first FF games… you know, the good ones :wink:

I really liked the way it is, I dont mind in 3d parts, I think that the best is use what you think that ll be great you know the storyline, you know draw the concepts, the 3d is part of what you want and this is the way you could create somthing more like what you want, its your game make it the way you want it to be, usually when I play something I keep wondering why this isnt is like that, but now that you are the game creator I think that the best is to make something that you like! I think that it should be like that for all the game projects that we start!

Well said. I have no problems with the sewer grating, as it matches the style of that ruined buildings you showed before, which are 3d too.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think the sewer’s outside could be more 3D. It’s a little flat. Anyway, I’ll work on that. Here’s another development log update video.

Hey, this looks great. Fence looks better already, and I love the little jumping animation. Personally I think the “walking” sound sounds a bit like a “bump into wall” sound, and perhaps you could use different footstep sounds depending on what kind of surface he walks on (assuming that wouldn’t ruin the retro feel of the game). But that’s just me. Keep going :yes:

Thanks. Yeah, the sound could be different - I’ll look into it.

Sorry about the lack of devlog updates. Games have been taking up my time, but I’m forcing myself to work on this. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/GUIProgress.png

So, I’m working on fixing up the GUI. I’ve got the primary weapon ammo counts (currently in clip / maximum available) working, and the rest are just labels. The reason that the two icons on top are pushed over so much is because I thought of having cash in the game, but decided against it.

I was thinking that enemy robots could drop the cash when defeated, and you could use the cash to purchase weapons and sub-items from human merchants still around in the area. I ended up deciding against it. Basically, it would work against the Metroidvania feel of the game. Without the mechanic of cash, I’ll be forced to have lots of hidden areas and interesting branching paths to host all of the different weapons and items. However, there now won’t be too much interactivity with other NPCs in the game, and you won’t have a huge reason to attack any of the enemy robots, as they won’t drop anything more than health or ammo.

I also am working on a more 3D tunnel, as the original was quite flat. I also fixed up Simon’s walking animation to animate correctly at the same speed as the forward and downward animations (finally).

I’ve also been working on music for the game, creating different tracks and seeing what from my old tracks I could use, if anything. Anyway, that’s about it.

@SolarLune, I like the updates, but I’m curious as to the size of the HUD, do you press a button to make it (dis)appear? Or make it smaller? Keep up the good work!

Yeah, the HUD appears only when you press the Enter key (Start button) to bring it up. Otherwise, it’s invisible, like the other screenshots and gameplay videos show.

The Ammo counter could possibly stay somewhere visible, but I think that it works alright for now.

Great solar lune, just great, the menu reminds me of the first pokemon s menu! hehe, nice work!

Thanks, leonnn.

Here’s a small update.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/ItemGet.png

Yeah, it plays a jingle now, which you have to wait until the end for. :wink:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/BetterTunnelGUI.png

So, I’ve got a little more of the GUI, as well - there’s now a play-time counter that counts how long you’ve been playing. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l620/SolarLuneTP/Sewers.png

Also, I’ve got a little of the sewers finished. I think the water should be brown or green… We’ll see how that goes. I think that I should add some water dripping down, little platforms and pipes and things - you know, make it interesting.

EDIT: Oh, and the sound - I’ve got a lot more sounds in the game, and some BGM, too! I currently have two songs - one for the sewers, and one for the town. :slight_smile: