Velociraptor (in the style of JP3)

unfortunately ive been having some problems with my keyboard (im typing with an on-screen keyboard) so i might not get to finish the raptor till i can fix the keyboard. but I will update here once it’s finished

edit: Got a new keyboard so I can start working on it again

update: I haven’t found time to work on this in a while, but I’m finally getting back to it. Right now I’m sculpting on the latest version of this model and it’s going well. After that I’ll try and put together a texture for it and give animation a go.

feedback always appreciated

Still sculpting, it’s progressing nicely :slight_smile:

Couple more images:

Up next is sculpting in the mouth, going further into detail all around and eventually texturing :slight_smile:

Really cool sculpt! This is gonna look great when it’s done!

One thing that caught my attention was the eyelid. I’m not sure why, but it looks a bit unnatural to me. Maybe sculpt in a little dip for the tear duct?

Also when you start texturing, I’d highly recommend using projection painting if you weren’t already planning on it!

Thanks and yes, I have noticed that the eyelid doesn’t quite fit in in terms of realism. I’ve been trying a few things with it but haven’t found something I like yet. I will try what you said about the tear duct see how it goes from there.

Here’s where I’m at now, been giving more definition to the scales that line the mouth area:

Working with around 2.2M polys as that’s as far as my laptop can handle for now, but I’m liking the results :slight_smile:

I tried adding a tear duct but it proved to be more difficult than I thought, so I messed around with the shape of the eyelid and made it more oval, as well as added small scales around it to give it more of a “weighty” look. Looks a little better, but not quite there yet.

You are doing very very good so far… I can’t wait for the final render!
~greetings~

The main focus of today was on parts that looked too stiff (particularily the legs and feet) and adding more muscle/wrinkle definition in order to fix it. I don’t really know much about anatomy (or dinosaur anatomy) so I went with whatever looked right. Here is a full-body view of what I currently have:

For the head, I added some roughness to the inside of the mouth, improved the definition on the scales that line the mouth and added some more definition above the head as it seemed a little flat.

I also added some ridges/scales on the front sides of the three fingers, these still need some work.

Let me know your thoughts :slight_smile: Still have a way to go before I can get to texturing, but it’s getting there.

Wouldn’t let me post 3 pictures in one post, so here is a screenshot of the back of the feet.

really nice sculpt work, maybe shorten the lower jaw a bit, but that’s minor. how much subdivision is this? and how much verts count? if you don’t mind me asking.

and we can’t see your image in the post above.

I’m using multiresolution modifier at level 4 right now:
Verts, 2,297,700
Faces, 2,295,729

Also fixed the picture above

Small update:

Tweaked the general shape a little to look better with how the sculpt looks:

Update: With school in session now, progress has slowed a little, but I’m still working on it. Today I worked on the neck area and arms, and parts of the leg/hip area. As far as it has come, I think I can do better, so I have been considering upping the detail level once more in order to add all the little wrinkles and skin details to make it even more realistic. I want to stay in the sculpting process until it looks as best as I can get it to, and will afterwards do the texturing (though I’m not particularly good at it, that could be a long process in itself)

the proportions have been tweaked slightly, particularly on the head

Perhaps better views of the details on the head:

Nice work! Though the scales around the lips look a little big and seem to stand out a lot, you should try blending them in a bit more with some similarly sized scales nearby.

Thanks for your feedback! Now that you mention it, they do kinda stand out. I will see what I can do.

For those scales, I used this picture as a reference:

The detail is looking impressive so far, can’t wait to see if it will be the same case when you apply the textures, shaders, and lighting.

Keep it up.

Nice topology and rigging. Have faith with the sculpting tools. It just takes practice. Initially, coming from Mudbox, I found Blender’s sculpting tools unintuitive. Now, with practice, I love how they feel.

That said, are you using a Wacom pen or similar? Sculpting in any software without a pressure sensitive tablet is really tough.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it keeps me going. :slight_smile:

Though I do have a Wacom tablet w/ pen, I’ve been using a mouse up until this point :cool: