Wallmart tracking device ?

Guess it is out of range, but then again, if implanted, it could run of electron from your body, but still not likely. If it’s only 5CM then what’s with all the fuss about ?

Please, extrapolate. This should be funny enough to break Kansas_15’s funniest post record. (and you probably know what I mean by “funny”).

If it’s only 5CM then what’s with all the fuss about ?

It’s 5m, not 5cm. Though that’s a maximum, not a set value (meaning you could have recievers limited to a shorter range).

Martin

As for the cellphone issue, one of the fellows at my college has set up a company that can locate you by GSM mobile phone, with only a software upgrade no GPS required. company is called CPS:

http://www.cursor-system.com/cps/default.asp

You are being watched :smiley:

Alex

Sounds like you’ve some therioes you’d love to try out…

:o

wtf is wrong with america? I mean, really, only there do such insane concepts pop up. Thank god i’m half a globe away from those taggers, comsumers and providers. To hell with all of you, i’ll be in the nearest secret underground cave hatching a masterplan to destroy you all!

You must be frothing at the mouth by now with that sick amount of hatred and cynicism that poored from your lips.

Or you’re making a conceited remark designed to dupe others into flames and/or believing you so you can play with their minds. If the latter I applaud your effort and thanks you for it.

I also have two RFID cards to access restricted areas on campus. Yes, my boss knows when I enter a room. Should he know? Of course. If I use one of my cards at another location, do they know who the hell I am? Heck no- there’s no central database of RFID numbers- only the database at work can associate my number with me. The RFID chips don’t actually store personal info, just an index number that lets a computer look up a row in a database.

I would assume that all Walmarts will be networked together, so they would recognize me and my purchasing habits at their store as long as I carried one of their store cards with me. But if I take my Walmart merc. into a bank with RFID scanners, will they know who I am or the products I have bought? Not unless there’s a master conspiracy involving Walmart and the Federal Reserve. But I guess that makes sence now that I think about it…

not needed. you can track any sellphone if you have acces to the data of the antennas of the telephone company. your telephone is constantely transmitting signals to recievers. if you have the data of three of them you can do some basic math and they know your position. within a pretty close range.[/quote]

Not true.
You can only track the phone within an individual cell. That is an area that can be a few blocks to a few miles in diameter. Sometimes more than 2 cells overlap, most times they don’t. For most military and law enforcement applications, that is not precise enough. The towers are not directional and can’t give a bearing to a cell phone. When there are multiple cell towers in range of the phone the service hands off to different towers based on the traffic load. The best you get is "he is somewhere in this cell, oh, he just moved to this cell, so he is in this () slice, or moving – not very precise.[/quote]

some basic radio stuff:

the strength of a signal is measured in S points. the cell that has the highest s points value gets the connection. your telephone sends a signal to more that one cell so it can transfer smoothly to another cell. the method is harder to use in an area with bigger cells but its still a good method to track people. so you only need two cells but three is better.
if you still dont get it i can make a graph

Most direction finding systems do not work that way. Determining a location based on signal strength is one of the most inaccurate methods of locating. Multiple receivers can be used to geolocate if a precision time source is available. (method used by the US to locate Soviet subs, read “Blind Man’s Bluff”).

Cell towers are not designed and postioned for geolocation. They are designed for service coverage. Cell phone calls are routed based on a minimum required signal strength and service capacity. The control signals are used to change the frequency used by the handset or to hand off the call to a different tower as the signal starts to weaken or capacity is filled. The closest tower may not have the best reception due a number of factors.

The precision timing requirements with GSM allow better tracking possibilities, but still don’t offer the precision of GPS. The CPS system mentioned by alicopey158 is interesting, but it takes advantage of other data to improve the location information and has different accuracies and response times depending how the location is calculated.

The technology is not limited to actual signals only but also to probability algorythms that can easily be estimated with computers that do 42.7 trillion calculations per second (as in teraflops). :o

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2004/october/worlds_fastest.html

Each of the twenty units runs a single image of linux. You got nowhere to run Mr. AlCapone. They be a watch’n you already. You will shortly be required to blend the entire electromagnetic mesh of your aura into the vast WalMart virtual reality. Please go peaceably. They only want to help you.

Okay, so you can track an individual. Goody for you. There are however-many billion “individuals” out there. Which one is the bad-guy? That’s the quandary of “data collection vs. intelligence.” Data collection is easy; intelligence is very hard to come by.

(Hmmm… especially in election season.) :wink:

As far as ‘privacy’ is concerned, retailers already know what credit-card number was used on an order, and even the name on the card. “Do you have your Sooper-VIP-Club Card today?” Simply charge Joe Consumer too-much for groceries, ask him to voluntarily identify himself in exchange for 2%-off on certain items, and he will do it.

RFID tagging is actually much more useful in the warehouse than it is on the shop-floor. It takes a lot of time to open a crate to see what is actually inside, then you have to seal it up again for storage. Multiply that simple task by literally hundreds of thousands of crates and you have a serious task. A scanner, positioned next to a conveyor belt in an automated warehouse, can automatically inventory and properly direct the package to the proper shelf, if the contents bear tags. Otherwise you depend on externally-mounted package bar codes. Companies like FedEx currently make quite a bit of money shipping perfectly ordinary goods “overnight” simply to make-up for their clients’ inventory handling errors, where the client shipped a crateload of panty-hose instead of a crateload of flour. (The “all bags look alike” problem at the airport… on steroids.)

But, alas, that’s not nearly as exciting as a conspiracy theory.

(P.S. For your information, they usually do have “a cam in the crapper.” I don’t think they put them in the stalls … which is good news if you’re wanking off in there %| :wink: … but they do monitor most store-areas to guard against shoplifting. Most shoplifters use the bathroom or a changing-room to hide their stuff.)

I have no idea what you just said (:P) but what I meant was that I’m pretty damn tired of bush, kerry, mcdonalds, little radio transmitters and the local U.S. embassy (which is some 100m meters from my home) building fortifications (no kidding, I’ll get you some photographs, just ask!) around itself.

So now, whenever I hear bs like little chips that transmit a razor’s address to Mars and beyond, I do tend to overreact. Sorry 'bout that.

well blenderanim. just remember that if they want to track you that they know more of you then your sellphonenumber. it narrows your location down to a certiant area within a cell. if they want to screw you they will.

sleep well.

Phones do transmit other identification information, but it doesn’t include location unless there is an additional service.

Somewhere I have a scan of a military patch with the slogan:
“In God we trust, all ohers we monitor”

They don’t need to transmit the location. It would be very simple to lock onto a cell phone signal and triangulate it, just as a GPS unit is actually pretty simple. It doesn’t even need to be a cell phone tower. I don’t get all of the arguing about this, it’s not whether or not it is done, but the fact that it can be done. If it can be done, then it is likely that it is being done or will be at some point.

For example, what do you know about the NSA?

A cell phone transmits about 250mW. New GSM phones are closer to 100mW. “Lock on” is a bad term to use. Detecting a cell phone handset is relatively difficult because of the low power. Most systems listen to the towers (much higher power level), then pick calls that are handled by the towers. The police would probably go to the service provide and get ‘wiretaps’ that way. Getting a Line of Bearing (LOB) to a handset is very difficult (most receivers would not even be in the detection range of the handset. Trying to get multiple LOBs for a location is even more difficult.

For example, what do you know about the NSA?

Been to Ft. Meade a few times, but never in the main building. Mostly worked with NAVSECGRU and support contractors.

I remember when the helicopter movie “Blue Thunder” came out. They made a point of saying all of the technology was possible and currently existed. That was ‘technically’ true, but no police force in the country would be able to afford it. There can be a big difference between being ‘possible’ and being ‘practical’.

I would like to see more of those night vision camera that can see through clothes, would be a great thing to have with all the threat into todays world.

Wiretapping works much easier than that, actually. According to this conspiracy theory site which hosts a video of a Fox news report on an Israeli spy ring (the third one) an Israeli company intercepts all calls and records the ones that are to be “wiretapped.”

Whether you believe it or not, I think a cell phone can be triangulated. I know it can be intercepted, because I’ve done it before with a simple handheld radio.

Alright, I’m tired of your nonstop anti-American bullshit. All these small backwater little countries resent the US. The only country that I think does it better is New Zealand. If I go anywhere, that’s gonna be it. But if you want to bitch about America, either do something about it or STFU. I don’t give a shit about a little country like Estonia. Maybe if it hadn’t been tossed around by various other countries like society’s baseball before finally ending up like it is today, then maybe I would give your arguments more credit.
Point is, I’m tired of every single non-American thinking their opinion about living in America is 100% true. If you come live here for a few years, you can bitch all you want. America’s not perfect, but, by god, it’s better than a lot of what’s out there.

America screwed up when it turn from a Republic to a Democracy, that’s where America went wroung.

I guess the root cause of the problem (with governments) is that they are built by humans. Selfish b******s who sometimes wake up on the wrong side of the bed; b******s who sometimes wake up not knowing who-the-hell’s bed they’re in; b****s who sometimes try to ps but somehow fail to hit the edge of the crapper; b******s who do all those things that we humans don’t like to admit to doing but that we do nonetheless. Maybe there’s a perfect government out there but I don’t know whose it is.

I’m an American by birth, but does that make me happily embrace everything my government is officially saying or doing? Are you kiddin’? How about yours? Do you embrace everything your bureaucrats do? Didn’t think so. Are your bureaucrats just as clueless as ours are? Uh huh, thought so.

So, even though the world’s a very diverse place and human societies are diverse too, we have a lot more in common with each other than we have differences. If only we could realize that sometimes.

Yet it’s a dark-side to human society that some people out there … the ones who wear the nicest business suits and who go to whatever church is correct on whatever day is correct to go there … are dark, evil people who manipulate the system to their own monetary gain, even if they do not characterize themselves as evil. (And who does?)

Funny thing, though … the more you actually get involved in what your government is doing, on the city and county levels where the things that go on most quickly affect you and your neighbors (and we all have neighbors, even ones that play their music too loud, yes?) … the more you realize just how difficult and just how ambiguous, and how utterly thankless, the job of governing actually is. Throw out the stories pandered by the media and by the envious. It’s not a power-trip. The Prez can have his half-a-million-plus-bribes salary; it’s not worth it. If you get involved and take your job (maybe a volunteer advisory job) at all seriously, you drop those illusions fast. You do the best you can, and nobody likes you anyway. You express your thoughts carefully, and what they hear is a sound-bite. The wrong sound-bite.

It’s always been a little bit of both, which is why there are two parties bearing the names, I don’t know how you’d get any other idea.