Why do people dislike the BGE?

No, I don’t think we would have good framerates, at least not as good as the original games. All the logic of those games (wich is a lot, even more in open games) will be slower in BGE. The GLSL shader that we have to use in blender must be >OpenGL 2.x, wich means slower too, and tough UPBGE is improving the speed from the source code, it will probably take a lot until the optimizations can even compare to the ones done in those games.

What you could do in BGE is a single scene where the graphics are as good or better, but this loses completly the point.

I really like the BGE actually for several reasons.

I tried Unity and Godot too, but as a long time Blender user, I feel quite comfortable in the Game Engine.
My IK rig setup are working perfectly, no need to bake everything to try an FBX export to another engine. I love the integration in the Blender UI.

I like to script game in Python too and this is one on the only engines that is able to do it, no? Maybe I’m wrong about that but I like Python, and creating game with it is nice for me.

Also, the BGE doesn’t provide tools to easily make some AI, menu overlay or whatever. A friend of mine, working full time with Unity, told me that at some point, you don’t want to use build in tools because you want to make specific behaviors for your game and he prefer to code everything from scratch. So, I’m not sure this is the weak point of the BGE.

I think that people doesn’t like the BGE the same way that the people in the film industry doesn’t like Blender too. They don’t want to learn new tools, no matter if the tool could work for them.

I read that Unreal is free, No. Not like Blender and about that, GPL license doesn’t seem to be an issue. On Steam, you can buy some games made in the BGE.

Ok! Ace Dragon, I’m sick of this attitude of yours. And I believe every single user in the BGE forums are sick of it as well.
Listen, or better, look, you’re the one who got offended by that, and I didn’t even need to mention your name, isn’t that hilarious!?

such as claiming they are not a ‘true developer’

I’d like to see where did I say that…

The truth is, a community that is welcoming and is not afraid to realize its existing weak points is a key thing that is needed if you want the BGE to have a strong userbase and a robust development rate.

You can’t ask for something you can’t provide in exchange. Like being welcoming. You, for sure, are NOT welcoming.

Now I hate to get personal, but here’s a question:
Why do you need to be such obnoxious and meaningless when the subject is BGE and BGE community?

I apologize if i’m being too over-the-top here, but I just can’t deal with this.

@TwistedBGE I think by you saying ’ I think everyone who dislike it is just biased, and never tried to actually make something.’ he probably took it personal and tough that you are implying that everyone who’s complaining about bge or quit it never created something good,that’s probably where his anger sparked but Ace Dragon answer also did not help things to get better and didn’t solve anything :confused:

Back to the main topic

One thing to make clear on why people dislike and potentially quit theBGE.

1.Userface
BGE (also Blender itself) at times the userface can be described as a ‘Mess’ too many tools being forcefully placed ‘at times’ and it’s hard for some users to see where is what .

2.Lack of resources and tutorials
I dont like comparing engines but the reason why some beginners use Unity over BGE is due to the reasons that there are more tutorials avaible from both the devs themselves and the community which explains in details how to use Unity while BGE does have some ‘but’ either they are outdated or they are very few and limited.
This is why some if not a high percentage more to Unity since it would be easier and faster for them to learn

3.Performance…
Well as you can tell and know BGE performance is pretty bad at times,and its not only because it has some big problems with performance when using shaders but also it has issues with logic bricks etc I can run a game with real time shadows,wind particles and shaders in Unity and other engines while for BGE even a small character with animations and shadows at times can cause weird issues with performance,and this is the main problem which I think people who actually create high quality games finds as a big issue at times.

4.platform support

Its very hard to users to be able to create games for other platforms

5.Mentality
I dont know why but there are a vast amount of other engine users that believe the BGE is not capable of creating games for some odd reasons I dont know where this mentality came from,but when they see that someone created a good game in BGE they look confused as if you just walked on water …

And this needs to be changes ,this can be done by creating more ‘QUALITY/FINISHED GAMES’ ,I will back at some blender 2.49/2.5 games and they look amazing compared to that time 2015-2016 doesn’t even have half the amount of good games which came out even if Blender Game Making Challenge has been helping a lot with encouraging people to create games :),maybe there should be more advertisement of BGE game

But overall I still use BGE due to its unique flexibility and fast way which allows users to create any type of game even when compared to high standard Engines,but it does need LOTS of work to at least improve an polish the users experience.maybe Blender as a whole should really do a kikstarter or something similar to speed up the progress of Blender and gain more support.WE NEED MORE GAMES fun/FINISHED games or DEMOS which display different types of games

@TwisterGE - Chill. Ace is right.

If people dislike the BGE, it’s because of well-founded and well-documented reasons, not because they’re simply “biased”. Every engine has flaws. However, in the BGE’s case, there are, indeed, fairly critical flaws that need to be addressed. That’s why the simple existence of the BGE is up for discussion with the Blender Foundation.

I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I used the BGE for the better part of a decade. I made lots (and lots) of resources and tutorials, both text and video, for it. I tried to make lots of games.

In the end, I decided to use (and even develop) a different engine, BDX, for a variety of reasons. I am not biased against the BGE; I am objectively against its current form.

Now, don’t get me wrong; it’s a nice engine. It can be fun to work with, and it can get you learning Python and game logic well, but overall, the BGE needs changes.

EDIT: To get back on-topic, I agree with Dreamless’s points.

I’d add the code-base size and complexity. If something goes wrong with the BGE, you want to either report bugs and have them fixed in an orderly manner, or get your hands dirty and fix the problems. The problem is that the size and rather complex “intermingled-with-Blender” nature of the BGE and its code-base discourages this. Maybe I just wasn’t determined enough when I was looking to make some changes and improve things, but looking at BDX’s codebase, I think that there’s a lot to the BGE that could be cut out in favor of a better, more streamlined, and more maintainable game engine.

I meant free as in doesn’t cost money. Sure, there’s a 5% royalty in UE4 when you’re already making money. Still, even if it’s not “free” as Blender (is GPL really free though? more like restrictive in the other direction…), it has source code available and you can modify the engine if you want to.

And even if Blender is free (doesn’t cost money), you will lose money by having to implement all of the features you want yourself instead of using built in engine features.

Chill. Ace is right.

OK. I’ll not go back on what I said because I believe everyone who deals with him every day have their own reasons to be really mad at him.

in the BGE’s case, there are, indeed, fairly critical flaws that need to be addressed.

We are all aware of those flaws, and that’s why the UPBGE project exists.

In the end, I decided to use (and even develop) a different engine, BDX, for a variety of reasons. I am not biased against the BGE; I am objectively against its current form.

I’m pretty sure you and every one else that uses or once used the engine, know that the BGE is still alive thanks to its community, and it is going to die once everyone stops using it.
We need volunteers at the UPBGE project. Complaints aren’t going to fix an engine.

Hmmm… these are some good points. i always just assumed everyone hated it because by being free, we see so much low-quality-$#!? coming out of it. . . I may be one of the worst offenders there. lol/

Since it’s free, and logic brick present a no-code approach, less experienced people use it more. Of course, it still takes time to learn, and some people who don’t take that time unfortunately release “finished” games with no textures or animations, and faulty physics and say “Made with BGE!!!” and then everyone sees it and assumes BGE is garbage. :confused:

Look, you’ve gotta chill the heck out. Ace isn’t a bad person, he’s just got his quirks like a lot of us.

=============

As far as “saving the BGE”, I’m not sure it’s worth saving. That’s not to say that I want the concept of Blender having a game engine to die outright, but hear me out:

I heard talks ages ago about Blender adopting Panda3D as its engine instead of the in-house BGE, which is something I’d actually like to see. Panda3D is an accomplished engine that’s got some actual pedigree to its name (including being the engine of choice of the Pirates of the Caribbean MMO, which is probably the best ship-sharing MMO out there). The only thing that would change is the core scripting syntax, everything else would snap right into Blender AFAIK.

Oh the irony burns. I’ve never seen you around here, you don’t participate of BGE-related stuff. So you don’t have the rights to say he’s a good person. You didn’t see anything.
Maybe he has nothing to do with his life besides bashing on BGE users specially BluePrintRandom.

“AFAIK” this isn’t a discussion about Panda3D.
It’s just tragic to see a lot of people who don’t even use the engine responding to this thread.

No one who has ever used a real game engine after BGE agrees with you.

But there are plenty of people who have used it, you’re just choosing to ignore them. And the only one getting mad at Ace is you, buddy.

@TwisterGE “I’ve never seen you around here.”

I have.

Check her threads. She’s been here for years.

She posted the third reply on this thread, right here.

Again, chill.

As for the UPBGE project, it’s nice to have a project to improve the BGE, but unless there are sweeping, architectural changes, it won’t really be the necessary improvements to the engine. On the other hand, the more severe the changes to the BGE under the project, the less likely they’ll be merged into Blender.

I don’t pay too much attention to the status of that, but have changes to UPBGE been merged back to Blender yet? If not, that might be a good idea to prioritize.

However, this is getting off-topic.

I gave my personal reasons why people might dislike the BGE, and what could be done to help resolve the matter.

I’m sorry, but last I checked, I DO have rights to say anything about anyone. Just like everyone here.

Also, I use the BGE on a daily basis and I post almost exclusively about the BGE on these forums. Please do some research before salting your opinions all over people.

OK. I apologize @MichelleSea. I just never seen any posts by you, MichelleSea in the WIP and Game Demos forum.
Don’t tell me to chill, because I will not chill like that. I’m ok now, I was out of control due to stress problems. So I’m sorry.

For the record, I have worked with the BGE for almost a decade and have completed several projects with it. I know what it can do because I made games that are not only fully functional, but polished and with a complete presentation as well.

However, I had to start facing the facts when noting how, when opening my projects in newer builds, they stop working or outright crash far more often than they should be (and you can’t say they just need to be updated because the issues are often things that were not even touched by the BGE developers during the release cycle).

I would understand projects needing updates in engines like Unreal 4 or Unity, but in the BGE things just broke in a way where you needed to start adding workarounds to get things going again. What also didn’t help with the bugfixing process is that the messy and hacky state of the codebase drove away more potential developers than it attracted, and the frequency with which regressions are introduced even with small changes testifies to its fragility.

So in short, I left the BGE scene in terms of game development and now I explain why I don’t really use it anymore, if the community sees that as an unforgivable ‘crime’ then it says a lot about the real state of the BGE.

From my point of view that would be actually good, UPBGE isn’t supossed to be a new branch, it’s supossed to be a fork.

It’s fairly simple why people dislike BGE:

It’s a great tool for learning about game development, but a terrible tool for making actual games. It also hangs as a sort of benign growth on the rest of Blender that doesn’t really do anything, but requires constant attention from the core Blender devs to make sure it doesn’t break anything.

No one is saying that BGE can’t be brought up to speed. We’re saying that, because of the existing superior options that exist for free for every ideology from “It has to be FOSS” to “I just want to make an awesome game and don’t care about the license.”

Most people, including Ton (who has the final say on whether or not BGE lives on as part of Blender proper), recognize that BGE is a tool that was a non-starter from day 1 for serious game development.

You got it right. And tristan refused a custom branch from BF because it was too limited. It’s a fork, and will stop merging from the official repository at some point.

@AceDragon
I apologize to you as well, I was really angry though. I don’t know you, so I was very ignorant for judging you. I don’t normally do this.
I’ve seen some of your posts regarding BGE and they’re not nice, that plus stress got me really angry.

However, I had to start facing the facts when noting how, when opening my projects in newer builds, they stop working or outright crash far more often than they should be (and you can’t say they just need to be updated because the issues are often things that were not even touched by the BGE developers during the release cycle).

I don’t know how good you are at programming, but writing portable code helps. We are thinking about a Regression Test Suite to avoid this.
You could join in the IRC (#upbgecoders) and provide us blends so we can try to fix this.

I read the game engine code, extensively and believe me, no one paid any attention to it.