Zbrush 4R7 Released (now with 64bit support)

Zbrush has an option to send what you are working on into sculptris and then have sculptris send it right back…so in a way they are still somewhat integrated.
As integrated as any other Goz application link

Technically true, it would have been more correct to say Sculptris has a native option to send assets over to zbrush as well as the other way around.

I would buy a copy of ZBrush but there is no demo version to give it a spin. Considering how much money we are handing over(which admittedly is reasonable by 3D software standards) we would like peace of mind when making such a transaction.

I’m also surprised ZBrush has only just received 64-bit support…though better late than never I suppose.

Other wise, without testing it, it looks good.

Just tried out the Zmodeler for the first time. I actually quite like it (despite my dislike of the UI still), it feels very intuitive and is very easy to use and I drool at the thought of modeling with radial symmetry in Blender.

That said it seems to crash a whole lot. Even the 32-bit version which is supposed to be the more stable one. Just now I was using it and literally just left the computer for 10 minutes and when I came back Zbrush had crashed :confused:

@NinthJake
Under OSX, despite all the posted complains from OSX users, not a single crash here, so far.
Some freezes when importing textures objects or opening older Z documents. Until I realized it’s a “finder” vs new zb thing. A Qt issue.
Having “finder” on list or columns view mode solved it.
Lot of fireworks in this ZB4r7 . And a few goodies on the background, made me fall in love with it.

@Michalis, the first time I fired up 4R7 I made a new document, added a cylinder and went into edit mode and then it crashed. I haven’t been able to reproduce it since but I’ve had loads of random crashes in the total amount of ~2 hours I’ve used it.

However Zbrush has always been crashing a lot on me so that’s nothing new. I can crash any version of Zbrush within 5 minutes of opening it :stuck_out_tongue:

@NinthJake
to solve the irritating and highly annoying crashing;
deinstall the Visual c++ binaries 2008-2010
better yet deinstall every visual c++ binary. (2005 -2013)

go to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pixologic\ZBrush 4R7\Troubleshoot Help

install the visual C++ binaries which ZBrush needs via installing the
vcredist exe files

now use windows updates.

if other programs like Blender needs additional visual c++ binaries now you can install them.

Thanks for the tip @myclay, I’ll try it and see if it helps :slight_smile:

First patch for OSX guys:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?191727-ZBrush-4R7-Patch-1-For-Macintosh-Users&p=1126384#post1126384

Z4R7 P1 resolves these two issues:

• Open/Load/Save dialogue boxes are now compatible with Cover-Flow and Icons view settings in the Finder.
  • Older CPU’s are now supported.

To install:

• Go to Applications and delete your current ZBrush 4R7 OSX folder. (You do not need to deactivate first.)
  • Go to the Download Center and request a new download link.
  • Install 4R7 again using the new installer.
  • Launch ZBrush and do Web Activation.
@michalis: They may have fixed your problem

Also:
Note: Patch 2 will be coming in the near future for Windows and Mac systems.

@Keelhaul
No need to upgrade, I always use columns or lists.
Waiting for the P2 anyway.
I don’t give much attention on the Keyshot side as well.
I may understand the use of an expensive pathtracer, the out of the box support of some zbrush-like shaders, too expensive anyway.
Close to the cycles development, from the first day, feeling like home with the node system, I’m really not interested on any less capable render engines. Could not resist to say it. Sorry.