Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Space Station (wip)

Yeah, so I had some free time tonight...
    It's a wip (about halfway done), but now is the time to change stuff before I get too attached to it.

- More front light on station
    - Star field
    - ship(s)
    - Moon or other planet (I like having two)

--
    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Station.jpg 
Views:	1035 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	23294  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Station2.jpg 
Views:	873 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	23295  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Station3.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	23296  

Last edited by KevinW; 11-Jul-07 at 21:52.
    www.wetafx.co.nz
    Work Hard & be nice to people.

Stars...

--
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

"We arrived in 3048 at our destination, our ion engines all but exhausted, our food nearly gone. As we drew near to the sun of this strange new system, our crops responded in a most positive way, giving us new hope of a new life, to renew us from our journey between the stars. Anxious we were, to see a planet again. Even knowing that we had many adjustments to make before it would be hospitable, our long journey created in all of us, a longing to feel firm ground beneath our feet. Just seeing it there, spinning beneath us, gave us hope and confidence. I particularly thought of my father and mother, and their parents before them and so back hundreds of years, who themselves longed for this day, but knowing they would never see it before their passing. And when they passed, nothing was wasted, for their bodies fed the soil that even now, with this new sun's light, brought forth new crops from seed DNA that had laid dormant for so long. This was our new beginning, and we named the planet Phoenix. Even though our journey had ended, a new one had already begun."

so yeah, few images inspire me to write like that. good job!

Cool! Thanks!
    So Phoenix it is then! So how many sci-fi novels do you have? Because I liked it.

small ship and a (bad) moon. Still need to fill/balance that dark spot with something.
    I don't know, it needs more. Any suggestions?

--
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

...Still needs more work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

I'm thinking a small scout ship coming up from the planet surface could be seen in the shadow of the planet.

You may want to put some internal and external lights onto the ship if its in shadow.

Where was the passage about their arrival from?

Those rings are just awesome. You might want to think about the scale of them , though. Because rings are indeed rubble in orbit...

Ok maybe these are not the best ideas, but maybe you could add a colony to the surface of the planet, so that it would fill in that dark spot you are talking about. You could also try to add another moon or planet to the scene. Maybe a comet and some asteroids would help too; just a few ideas to think about, good luck on the project. Acer

You have a really cool city underneath your dome, and now we can barely see it.
    Perhaps you could cover it with glass instead of a grid, or provide some artificial lighting.

oh all very good ideas!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

I'll see what I can do!

--
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

ok, here is what I did so far...

- fixed the atmosphere
    - Adjusted the rings, I am not adding the particulate rubble because in this shot you are still way too far away to see that in these rings.
    - Added planet surface light
    - Added internal light for the station's habitat area
    - added glow on the station
    - Removed the rather sad and lonely moon.

I am still a little stuck on how and where to add another planet/moon. Things seem a little crowded and I am having thoughts of removing the rings.
    Do you think this is the problem?
    Would removing/scaling the rings help?

Thank you
    --
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

Hi,
    Very good scene !
    I also think that removing the rings would be a good idea. It would leave some place for an other planet in background (not too big : a satellite).
    One reason to remove the rings is also that they are dangerous for space navigation and in my opinion building an orbital station on the orbit of a planet having rings would not be a good idea , because there are probably a lot of rocks of any size orbiting around the planet...
    @PapaSmurf : Nice story ! It would make a very good intro for a SciFi movie !
    Philippe.
    Last edited by ROUBAL; 17-Jul-07 at 16:32.
    ► My website in English : www.3d-synthesis.com/index_english.html

► Mon site web en Franšais : www.3d-synthesis.com

I'd lose the Voronoi Crackle texture on the planet's dark side. It's far too recognizable, at least to other blender users. It actually distracts me.

I'm also a bit on the fence about the rings. They look cool, but it looked cool without them too.

How many polys have you got going there?
    "If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber'd here. While these visions did appear." - William Shakespeare
    Portfolio | Blog | Webcomic

As all photographers must do, you need to seriously consider one very-important aspect of any image: "the nature of human perception."

1. The human eye is drawn toward the brightest and the most contrasty element of any image that it sees.
    2. The eye does not like "black shadows" or "blown-out whites," because in those very same real-life situations the eye would be capable of instantly adjusting itself to perceive details in those same places.

Consequently, as you design your photograph, and as you review it, you need to train yourself to look at the light, not the subject.

When the viewer glances at your photograph, it is imperative that "what jumps out at him or her" is the subject: the space-station. Not the sun, not the rings of Saturn: the space-station.

Your photo doesn't do that. Why? Because the rings are brighter and more contrasty than the subject. A photo with those characteristics "cannot survive."

You have a really cool city underneath your dome, and now we can barely see it.
    Perhaps you could cover it with glass instead of a grid, or provide some artificial lighting.a
    i agree! what you put in there has great detail! is there no other way of showing the fine details of the space station? how about bringing the space station closer to the camera?

Sundialsvc4:
    Yeah, I know all about that (but thanks anyways). But you have highlighted my controversy, physical realism vs. proper composition. Let me explain:

- If I wanted to be true to physics (because I like it and almost majored in astrophysics) I would keep the rings that bright because of their inherent forward scattering effect.
    - If I want to make my space station the "lead 'guitar' player" in this "band" I should pull it out and make it the focal point using contrast, detail, color, etc... just like I learned when majoring in graphic design (yeah, astrophysics and art, thats me! )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like "crystallographic" type images , you know the ones that have no real focal point.. Whenever there is a clear focal point my eye gets stuck there and never leaves. Now maybe thats juts me. I also like high detail everywhere with lots-a glowing things which causes problems sometimes.

I will argue that the blown out sections of this image would still be blown out even when looking with your eye because direct and one bounce indirect sunlight is still far outside your eyes dynamic range (but because of that, you would never see anything else in the view!)

I was thinking, what if I move the planet right, and put the station in the planets shadow?

Anyways, I think if I want to make a piece of "well designed art" I will have to sleep on this. Seeing that a space station orbiting a planet with dangerous rings is implausible anyways... I guess I just might be able to give physics a rest.

So what do you think: Go with physics, or go with art.
    (maybe a stupid question, seeing my star-field )

However, completely re-designing the composition sound kinda fun, plus it will destroy all the little things that have been annoying me, and it's really easy!!!! If I were painting this, moving the planet would be... well... interesting at best.

--
    Kevin
    www.wetafx.co.nz

I liked it better without the rings and with the moon. The rings are pretty, but they distract me from your main focus. One small point is that the ship in the planet's shadow seems out of proportion with you space station. It looks like the ship is bigger than the entire city.

As for the planet, you could use some shots of earth at night to get proper looking city lights on the dark side.

I know how I would do it personally... :P

I would change the picture format to extreme wide screen. About 1900x1000. Then I'd move the space station to far right (because its arc of motion is pointed to the left) and put the planet on the left, but dominating the image much more than it is (as in low orbit ~50-70 miles). If you give me ten or twelve minutes I'll fire up the other computer and do an image comp for you...?

But I digress.

I like what you've got, but if you're going back to the drawing board then go for it. I'd love to see what you come up with.

"We geo-positioned Sojourn well beneath the rings, not wishing to risk damage to our home...for now. Already rumors abound regarding Phoenix, especially regarding the cataclysmic forces that formed the voronoi texture that can be seen on the dark side.

The scout craft returned today, the crew exhausted and exhilarated, making scientific analysis and babbling about beauty all in the same breath. I must confess that there were many jealous among us. The EV suits, I suppose, were the lucky ones - they were the only ones to feel the wind against their fabric, and it must have been a delight, if they could talk, after feeling nothing but the cold vacuum or space for so long...what, a millennia since we left Terra? Oh, to feel the wind blow your hair from your face; what a strange and wonderous sensation, we wondered. Somebody in HVAC hooked up three blowers into a sort of jet tube, and turned them on full blast, and we took turns standing in front of it to see what this wind feels like. It is harsh! It wanted to tip me over, to move me as it wanted - I did not like it. Perhaps I like too much being in control. There are so many changes we will have to absorb, in so short a time.

My duties, as agro-biologist, was to get my hands on those soil samples as soon as possible, so that we can begin DNA matching to see what sort of changes and alterations would be needed for two purposes: terra-forming and consumables. Over the next few months I looked forward to exhausting myself with air analysis to see what kinds of plants we need to supplant the air gases in order to make it breathable to our lungs. But I would have to wait, for biologics to test the soil for any alien life.

That in itself would be a tricky maneuver, and I was glad I did not have the burden upon me to declare the soil "safe" to use. After all, how could you really be sure that an alien life form was not abundant on this planet? How would you test for something you knew you could not or would not even recognize, as Life?"

- from "Sojourn to Phoenix", a short story in the making by Roger Wickes

Higher Crackington, Cornwall, south west toe of Great Britain.
    My main crit is that if it is large enough to house an entire city inside of it then it should look massive. At the moment it looks like its about fifty feet across with a large toy city inside it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast