Orion TEAR

Click HERE to watch the film
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4174/oriontearposterfinalpx1.jpg

Please everyone, be totaly honest with the critics, say exactly what you think, and don’t think too much :stuck_out_tongue:

You can also see and make the download (recomended, better quality but still bad :frowning: crapy internet provider, sorry) of the movie here:
http://vimeo.com/788373

Hope you like! :o

EDIT: (10-07-2009)
By the time I was waiting for the sound of Orion Tear I made the DVDBOX and DVDimage covers.
They have been collecting dust here, so it’s time to share them with you Orion Tear appreciators :wink:

Here you can download the High resolution package of images:
http://www.box.net/shared/4q2i2l5t0i

It contains:
The DVDBOX cover (32132150);
The DVDimage cover (1200
1200);
The DVD menu image (768576);
The Original Poster (3072
2150);
Cell Phone desktop image (320*320)

Preview:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1520/imagemparaacaixa.jpg
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/153/imagemparaodiscosmall.jpg
The content of the package “rogper_OrionTear_Dvd_SpecialItems” is licensed under the Creative commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

The best place to download Orion Tear with good quality is here:
http://www.blender.org/community/blender-conference/blender-conference-2008/festival/

Thank you very much for watching and for all the comments :wink:

hi i really think you did an awesome job with the ANIMATION
but to tell you the truth i really didnt like the music and the story
it was a little weird
but it was entertaining and thats what matters

WOW! Finally! :slight_smile:
Glad you found the time and patience to complete it! I really enjoyed it (I’m guessing that you also had a great time making this short)! Love the style- animation -camera work -concept.
Congratulations!
One crit and one suggestion:
Crit: I THINK that this move could use less music. IMHO you got a great story and atmosphere and some ‘silence’ could do good (my opinion).
Suggestion: The Angel without the hood felt a bit… (well empty?) I would suggest (though it’s too late for suggestions) that you could create some kind of a black ‘flame’ aura coming out of his head. (I think it would look cool…)
Congratulations man! Gr8 Idea+ Gr8 Execution= Success!
To the Headline News please!

I liked it
The death angel’s english was a little weird, and I didn’t understand why he was dying, but it was well done none the less.

That’s some intense animation going on here. For some reason the whole thing reminded me of sonic the hedgehog. The sound and voices could be better but that doesn’t matter.

5 stars for the animation.

I’ll not comment, only thomorow morning or so, but I’ll read all the posts very carefully :yes:

I didn’t finish watching, but did you use the cloth simulator on the SVN?:smiley:

The animation in this is spectacular, especially the fighting bits when their tossing each other around, and the part where the kid lands on the windmill especially. The sound is pretty well done. The textures are fantastic. The only crit that I would have would be the dialogue and voice work. Some of the lines are sort of clumsy, but I’m guessing English isn’t your first language.

All in all this is just fantastic work, and you should be proud. It’s extremely hard to get animation of this quality and length finished, and that alone is worth a great deal of admiration and respect. Kudos.

Mostly pretty good. Character design looks good, I like the concept, and your environments are very nice.

I think the language could have been better, as some lines didn’t make sense until I’d tried them out a few times with slightly different language – the meaning was conveyed, but not well. Mostly, I think you needed some more editing on the script from a native English speaker.

I liked it. You have a good sense of style. The quality of the animation is great too. I like a lot of the things you did with the camera. My favorite part was when the angel threw the boy off the platform. I didn’t care for having the text written on the screen. I think if you could have visually told why the boy was dying i think that would have been better then having him say he was. Maybe have a flash back of him getting hurt somehow. I dunno. If you could have explained the Angels job visually too I think that would have been better as well. I don’t know how you could have done that tho in a short like this. I’d love to see a making of or something of the sort for this. Like how you got the quality you did and how you achieved the fighting moves.

looks grait :slight_smile:

my only crit is the characters frequently completely stop moving for several seconds

how long did it take to make and render?

Great stuff. I liked the modeling, trexturing and the animation was mostly great. Also the camera work was very good. The sound ediing was well done as well.

Only things I didn’t like were the music and the voice acting for the Angel of death.

rogper, you did a great job with this movie. How did you find the animation toolset in blender. Were you satisfied or did you wish it had certain features. Again, concerning the film, I thought it looked very good. Professional work.

Great animation, modeling, and texturing, but I didn’t understand the story. Also, the voices could use some work.

Somebody seems to have watched a bit too much of Tony Jaa in Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong. :wink:

But Tony Jaa’s Muay Thai Style in those two movies seems well suited for character Animation, since the moves aren’t very elaborate or complex, but all about speed and impact force.

All that theoretical Martial Arts bullcrap aside… Nice piece of work, however your pacing seems off.

For an action flick, there is simply too much time passing between the single bits of action. The fighting itself is too slow as well. Actual timing of the animation is good, but the pacing is slow.

It feels as if a drama director is trying to make a Hong Kong Action Film.

If you need some inspiration for how to pace a fight choreography, I would suggest you watch some of Jackie Chan’s Movies. Specifically when he fights againts multiple opponents.

Some worthy Titles (By no means a exhaustive List):

Police Story 2 (Play Ground Fight especially), Project A, Project B, Operation Condor, Pedicab Driver.

Really nice, from beginner to pro animation this fits somewhere in the middle.
Animation was in most places good. Somewhere it was a bit stiff. In the beginning on top of the mountain, his knife didn’t sink to the snow? Also his hand relying on the knife doesn’t look really relaxed.
Nice job, I couldn’t ever do something like this…

SamipeReally nice, from beginner to pro animation this fits somewhere in the middle.
Animation was in most places good. Somewhere it was a bit stiff. In the beginning on top of the mountain, his knife didn’t sink to the snow? Also his hand relying on the knife doesn’t look really relaxed.
Nice job, I couldn’t ever do something like this…

That it was suposed to be more Ice than snow, if you look carefuly, you see that the distance between rock and ice it’s almost none :stuck_out_tongue: Sure you can, you just need 2 years to make it :wink:

ChojinDSL
It feels as if a drama director is trying to make a Hong Kong Action Film.

If you need some inspiration for how to pace a fight choreography, I would suggest you watch some of Jackie Chan’s Movies. Specifically when he fights againts multiple opponents.

Some worthy Titles (By no means a exhaustive List):

Police Story 2 (Play Ground Fight especially), Project A, Project B, Operation Condor, Pedicab Driver.

I’m a great fan of Tony Jaa and Jackie chan (the ones you point are also may favourites, I would add Rumble in the Bronkx ) I could made the film like Hong-kong, but i planed to do exactly what you wrote, I couldn’t have put it better :smiley:

tarkata14Great animation, modeling, and texturing, but I didn’t understand the story. Also, the voices could use some work.

This is a little alternative story telling :stuck_out_tongue: I think it depends one life esperiences to understand it

pixel master rogper, you did a great job with this movie. How did you find the animation toolset in blender. Were you satisfied or did you wish it had certain features. Again, concerning the film, I thought it looked very good. Professional work.

I’m Very satisfied with most of Blender features, I’ve used 3dsmax and I prefer Blender for everything. The animation tools are excelente, combining NLA Action Editor and Ipo Curve editor I can animate anything:yes:

HippieOnly things I didn’t like were the music and the voice acting for the Angel of death.

I also planed this, It’s not the voice you expected from a Angel of Death, hehe but I was trying to say that they are in fact normal persons, that after dying is given the choice of Becoming Angels:p

hessiesslooks grait :slight_smile:

my only crit is the characters frequently completely stop moving for several seconds

how long did it take to make and render?

Busted :stuck_out_tongue:
5 months of rendering, more week less week :spin:

linuxpimp21I liked it. You have a good sense of style. The quality of the animation is great too. I like a lot of the things you did with the camera. My favorite part was when the angel threw the boy off the platform. I didn’t care for having the text written on the screen. I think if you could have visually told why the boy was dying i think that would have been better then having him say he was. Maybe have a flash back of him getting hurt somehow. I dunno. If you could have explained the Angels job visually too I think that would have been better as well. I don’t know how you could have done that tho in a short like this. I’d love to see a making of or something of the sort for this. Like how you got the quality you did and how you achieved the fighting moves.

I needed to keep the thing arround 10 minutes, and I like to give space for people imagine their one stories inside my story :wink:

fudjeMostly pretty good. Character design looks good, I like the concept, and your environments are very nice.

I think the language could have been better, as some lines didn’t make sense until I’d tried them out a few times with slightly different language – the meaning was conveyed, but not well. Mostly, I think you needed some more editing on the script from a native English speaker.

I thought make it portuguese, but because i knew that you guys would be my main audience :slight_smile: I made it English, try to reed the in betweens :stuck_out_tongue:

Squiggly_P The animation in this is spectacular, especially the fighting bits when their tossing each other around, and the part where the kid lands on the windmill especially. The sound is pretty well done. The textures are fantastic. The only crit that I would have would be the dialogue and voice work. Some of the lines are sort of clumsy, but I’m guessing English isn’t your first language.

All in all this is just fantastic work, and you should be proud. It’s extremely hard to get animation of this quality and length finished, and that alone is worth a great deal of admiration and respect. Kudos.

It seems that it wasn’t good enough for a certain portuguese filme festival :frowning:
But I’m very pleased with it :yes:

Falcron I didn’t finish watching, but did you use the cloth simulator on the SVN?:smiley:

Man!!! That meens it was boring to you :frowning:
No, most of the cloth shots are from 2006, it’s a softbodie.

bigbadThat’s some intense animation going on here. For some reason the whole thing reminded me of sonic the hedgehog. The sound and voices could be better but that doesn’t matter.

5 stars for the animation.

Sonic was my first Hero, and still is today. I’m trully glad that shows in my work :smiley:

anubis_dog3 I liked it
The death angel’s english was a little weird, and I didn’t understand why he was dying, but it was well done none the

Terminal deseace :evilgrin:

gr8! Suggestion: The Angel without the hood felt a bit… (well empty?) I would suggest (though it’s too late for suggestions) that you could create some kind of a black ‘flame’ aura coming out of his head. (I think it would look cool…)
Congratulations man! Gr8 Idea+ Gr8 Execution= Success!
To the Headline News please!

Think in it like a peace of cloth that they have on the head that works like a black hole :stuck_out_tongue:

lllstrikesmemb2 hi i really think you did an awesome job with the ANIMATION
but to tell you the truth i really didnt like the music and the story
it was a little weird
but it was entertaining and thats what matters

Happy for that :wink:

Thanks everyone for this great Critics, Keep it coming Please :smiley:

Ho!!! The Making Of is in Blenderart magazine issue 14 :wink:

replying so I can find this later…been watching the prgress for awhile and want to see the finished piece lol.

No new comments to say here, it’s all pretty much said.
Só para dizer que acho excelente esta animação e que sinto orgulho em ver alguem entusiasmado e serio com o Blender em Portugal.
Queremos ver mais no futuro e abraços!

House Arrest
I also do that some times :wink:

Spokless:
Translating the portuguese:
( Only to tell that I find this animation excelent and that I feel proud to see someone really excited with Blender in Portugal. We want to see more in the future!)
I also would like to make more :wink:
I was hoping that OT would be selected for that festival that I don’t feel to make publicity now :stuck_out_tongue: (Indie Lisboa 2008)
Now everything became uncertain :confused: But I’ll give my best to overcome this.
Obrigado ^_~