Sumo Knight – low polygon character (now with turnaround)

TURNAROUND: http://www.vimeo.com/2323003

In the honor of Blender v 2.65 I have decided to take one – day vacation from drawing and try myself with the low polygon modeling. This is a model that I wanted to do for some time now, but somehow I always found myself something else to do.

I intend to make low polygon model, make UV maps for it, then make it into hi – res version and then bake normal maps and make it into full fledged game model.

Concept art: This is the original – I came with this idea to draw Sumo wrestler in knights armor. It was fun: I think that I managed to make the face Japanese enough and design cool armor at the same time. (“Y” is for Yokozuna). Disappointment came at the end – somebody told me that I was drawing myself. I do have high cheekbones but I am absolutely not THAT fat!

The face and the hood: I am very happy how it came out – nothing to write home about though – I was following the topology of several other (probably better) models. But I managed to capture original idea – he is very Asian and quite fat :wink:

I have started with the body, which lead to some changes in the shape of the hood.

I have reached the feet and decided to go with the spiky armor shoes – they look better than the concept art.

I worked in the perspective view and mostly looked at the different parts of his body, but I have not seen him in orthographic view and… AAAAAARGH! What is this? His head is tiny and he is not fat enough!

Some resizing of the head and various body parts later, I have added arms and few edge loops here and there. 933 vertices!

I have yet to model the hands (too tired now) refine the model here and there and move to texturing part.

For multires sculpting and normal map generation I plan to cut it into manageable pieces and then compile parts of the normal map into one. I wonder if it will work.

I am waiting for comments and suggestions!

OMG you have to use softbody for this guy :slight_smile:
Looking great, are you going to make a high poly version or paint bump maps?
Look forward to seeing this guy in action, if you’re going to animate.

Hang on… deja vu? Or are all the posts in this thread repeated :expressionless: That’s a pretty good looking model by the way.

I don’t get how people trace from background images so fast! Nice model, a few tris here and there, but good overall!

This is one long overdue update, but I have been busy elsewhere, so it is not entirely my laziness to blame…

Uv scheme of the character:

Final mesh (fingers and all). I didn’t go wild with the fingers because they should be clenched into fists most of the time, but I also wanted to see how they will look normal mapped…

I have tried to add detail (extrusions, etc) but it didn’t worked as expected. In most of the cases it just broke my UV map after I tried to unwrap added geometry with already existing one pinned down. Is there any workaround for this problem. Any suggestion would be much appreciated!

hahaha, awesome. That pic is really dope, and that model looks cool too.
Dunno how to fix your prob though sorry. Why no cool armor like in the drawing? Is that the detail you were talking about? Still looks good anyway. very cool Sumo man. hahaha. Sumo.

Is that a normal map? Cuz it looks pretty weird.

Nope, not a normal map but rather one of the new modes of UV map display (theu are all cool;-).

I’ll post the normal map when its ready!

I’ll post the normal map when its ready!

Ahh, ok. Don’t OVERbake it!

*hehheh…that was a joke.

Keep it up don’t use soft body for this guy also al artists tend to draw similar to there own face with out knowing of this…Have you modeled a low polygon character before this?If you used a tutorial or have a method please pm me on how to get a good topology on the face with low polygon count .@AWESOME !

Nice model, a few tris here and there, but good overall!

I just wanted to sit here and take the time to explain. Triangles are actually a good thing when it comes down to low poly models (better for collision, and they define the object much better than quads would in certain circumstances). Your not using the subsurface modifier anyway. :D. Sorry nOObhaxxor, I just had to say it. lol

peace,
-nick

wow, Did I say that? Man I was a newb when I posted that. Well of course by now I know low-poly models, Tris are GOOD.

It is more fat in the drawing or my eyes have problems ?

Sorry for not writing for a while, but I was busy elsewhere.

Here is the finished textured model:

and untextured model:

And the textures:

Color map:

Normal map:

Tell me what you think.

I applied for a job at a certain game company with this model and I was interviewed via telephone for a position. Unfortunately, they were terribly disappointed when they find out that it was not made with MAX. Oh well…

If you happen to know game company that works with Blender and pays well… well do not hesitate to recommend me!

Riste

p.s @ logunwhite321. No, this is my first lowpoly model. I have followed “better face tutorial” for the face which can be found on this forum. Also, it doesn’t hurt to take a look at some other model. There are lot of character models for Blender to look into. I think that drawing experience also helps.

Wonderful! It really does look great and there is no doubt you can see your original drawing in it. I’m actually shocked to find out that this is your first low-poly model…for that alone I say kudos.

| Sanguine |

give him a tash and he will look more japanese

Great work man. I have no crits besides adding some gaussian blur around the wrinkles in the skin and clothing.

peace,
-nick

Excellent modelling and texturing for low poly character. Really great model. Maybe secularity should have some variations on different parts of the model. The face should be less specular the the armour I would guess.