problem posing using action constraints

I rigged the hands on a character I’m working on similarly to the setup in “intro to character animation in blender”. It works great in the original setup, but when I import him into another file and don’t have him walked straight on the x axis the hands don’t work any more. They basically go to the fist pose for the hands and stay there. I’m using 2.46 (which was probably a dumb move) so not all the settings are the same, like the C Space is kind of a mystery for me. But I’ve tried all the setting and nothing corrected the problem.

I’d really appreciate any suggestions.

heh, I’m going through that book right now, so I’ll let you know what I find out when I get there… of course I’m making the whole rig from scratch so…

Actually I think I figured it out. There were two problems that I changed. In the book the hand actuators are rotating through Z space (up and down) and I set mine to rotate through Y space (front to back). which worked fine until it turned, then it wasnt in the same space.

The other thing was I didnt set the hand actuators to Local (I think because the book said not to in the feet) but when I looked at the sample rig, it was turned on.

But changing those two things, made it work for me!