Cloth Modifier

Evening all blenders,

Having terrible hassles with cloth modifier. Have a character that is rigged with the ludwig rig, has a makehuman head, a moustache created from the fibre example… well basically a hodgepodge … but with some fiddling works reasonably well except for cloth or softbody.
Read the doco on blender.org re the cloth modifier. Have the body mesh as a collision object. The jacket has subsurf armature and cloth modifier. the body has the collision modifier last in the stack.
When either softbody or cloth are baked the jacket turns to shite, falls through the model crumples up… like a big tissue in a heavy surf! Have tried a number of settings tweaks but to no avail…
Downloaded the cloth armature example and without completely restarting from scratch cannot see why I get such a blow out, any ideas why.

I’ve been having trouble with it too - and the blender site on cloth does not help at all. There doesn’t seem to be any decent tutorials out there or documentation and its holding work back big time - can anyone just ‘simplify’ what you have to do to get a decent cloth sim??

I had similar issues and have still some ( see my thread: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127799 ).
Partially overcame most of them.

1. Choose the vertices you want to be steady (Edit Mode in 3D view) in F9 give it a vertex name group and assign.
  2. In F7 under Cloth check the Pinning button and select the created vertex group (put stiffness about 2.0 or more depending on results)

After this step, you already should notice a difference after your test baking. But it often is not enough.
3) Select your Cloth Mesh and go into Weight paint. Is it all red? Is it all blue?
4) Weight Paint with Influence 1.0 (red) what should be more fixed to the Collision object and with lower Influence what you want to have flappier.
5) Go to Advanced and check Enable stifness scaling (i suppose it should make your Weight Paint nuances valid)

I still have the Cloth traversing some parts of the skinn… but it’s a little better than this morning!

Hope it helps

EDIT: What i always forget is --> to always put Subsurf in last position (bottom) of the modifiers… ;p And as far i can remember --> Softbodies and collision at first on top (but this i’m less sure)

A big part in getting good cloth collisions (as to avoid the crumpling problem) is to avoid intersections with the rigid body and the cloth mesh. The iterations setting (default 500) for the cloth is not enough if you haven’t subdivided the cloth in edit mode to allow the cloth to bend around a rigid body like a cape draping over a humanoid shoulder. This may require more divisions of the cloth in the area of the shoulder than say the area at the bottom of the cloth where few collisions occur.

Im having trouble with getting the cache to stick after getting a good cloth performance. Saving the file after baking the cloth and reopening works fine but any attempt at rendering causes the bake to default to start frame. Reopening the file reconfirms the cache is corrupted. It would seem that the cache (even though writes to hard memory) is being held in ram and is easily corrupted. Bake editing then editing vertices causes the same effect despite the documentation clearly states that this is the standard mode for cloth. I’m hoping this is not a bug and I’m clearly doing something wrong cause so far I have nothing but praise for this powerful open source platform.

Oh. i see! If the cache is held in RAM, it needs a lot more then just 1 or 2 Gigs…