problem / solutionS

Hello. I posted this in a thread at www.blender.org but I wanted to start one of my own here. Ok…I have quite a few ideas for Blender training. First off, training should be taken very seriously. We need a designated section on the Blender3d site to host various Blender master class videos. Now, I know that there is a spot for tutorials, however, most of my ideas for training are a little different from traditional tutorials and material that most of us are used to. The emphasis on the beginner material would be to help individuals “find thier way” and I even thought of using the “North, South, East , and West” symbol for an icon to represent the master class. This material contained inside of this video series is based off of an idea I have had recently. I have not had a chance to run this be Ton yet but here it is:

blender master class
PROBLEM / SOLUTIONS

I came up with this while writing my latest tut. I have been focusing on explaining to the reader that 3D is problem solving. I wrote the tut on the basis that I would discuss various solutions to each problem ( an example of a “problem” would be having to texture a particular mesh to look like a specific object such as an apple :wink: ) and then ultimately choose the best (most efficient and logical) answer and finally, run with it. Though this is a good idea it helped me stumble upon an even GREATER idea. There could be a list of various problems. The user could select a “problem” which would then bring them to a section where the user could select from one of many possible solutions. This would allow for beginners and experienced users alike to see how different people aproach similar obstacles. I think that it is imperative to uderstand how others work…this is very different from the traditional method (tutorials) of showing (or TELLING rather) an individual how to do a specific task. This way people could discover different methods through other peoples working habits. Now, I recorded myself completing my tut for 3D World mag which will be provided on thier cover cd. I recommend this for the “PROBLEM-SOLUTIONS” idea as well…this way you could literally see everyone solving one problem differently in realtime. I also thought that ultimately these could be offered in the Blender estore as a series of DVD training videos:

http://www.landisfields.com/master-class-dvd.gif

Cool but how?

Ton and a team of people designated to work on this would select a list of problems. Members from the community would then choose a possible solution that they would like to represent by signing up for it in the forum somewhere or through email…nevertheless, everyone would know who is working on what. When all solutions are submited (all beofre the deadline ofcourse :wink: ), Ton and the team would vote on the best to be selected for the DVD. ALL of the contributers “solutions” would be offered on the site…you would just have an option to select from a number of the same solution depending on how many people approached it in the same manner. For example, for the creation of an apple, if 4 people (theeth, Ztonzy, S68, Malefico) took the Spin approach versus 2 people (B@rt and I) taking polygon extrusion , then it might look something like this on the site:

PROBLEM:

[!] We need to model an apple.

SOLUTIONS:

[>] SPIN FUNCTION

<i> -theeth
         -Ztonzy
         -S68
         -Malefico </i>

[>] POLYGON EXTRUSION

<i> -Landis
         -B@rt</i> 

NOTE: I know that there are more than 2 solutions to this problem but this is just an example ;).

This way if the user prefers to look at theeth’s spin tutorial over ztonzy’s spin tutorial (no offense buddy :wink: ), they can do so. Again, this would only be for the web version, the DVD would only have one username for each possible solution. Each DVD would have three problems: Modeling, lighting, and texturing. A wuick render would be included, however, YAFRAY and other intesive stuff would be another video all together (perhaps volume II). Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Landis

hey landis…

heh , no problems…

well, haven’t used spin feature very much :slight_smile:

With Blender,
everybody is reinventing the wheel all the time rather than working at making the assets we already have bear more fruits.

Your idea takes no account of the effort of Michaël Thoenes to make the education part of Blender.org better.
You don’t mention any of the existing tutorials which are specific answers to specific problems as what you say you’re after.
A simple search here in the forums or in the old forums would give a number of diverse solutions for any problem just as you wish to find, only in much more aboundance than any contest limited in time.
All this should take place before polling the present active users here or on blender.org, which BTW are only a small part of the talent that expressed itself in the sources I mentioned above.

Your strategy may or may not be a good way to stimulate the production of tutorials to fill in the existing gaps ; I believe though that an effort to classify the existing material and to make a good search engine so people will be able to find it efficiently would be much better use of our time, and much more effective than reanswering old questions again.

I appreciate your enthousiasm. I like your dedication. I love your participation to the life of Blender.
I wish that we will be able one day to change some of the immense agitation there is around Blender these days in actual action on very basic, very fruitful concepts.

BTW, I dislike especially the idea of Ton and al. giving their imprimatur to what’s good and what’s not : this can only narrow the outlook we would give to the newcomer on Blender.

Jean

lamlnnocent…

the tuts on the blender oldsite some of those have holes and are confusing…and that goes for others as well thats not on the blender site…

landis i think thats a good idea though becuase it will encourage new tutorials as well as solutions people not might think of…

I know about the holes Sutabi : with three other persons we are the one making the list of the tutorials, finding keywords, making summaries. But if you add the resources that are the forums here and on the old site you have there are much less gaps remaining. The confusion comes mainly from the fact that this already existing knowledge is not organized.
I say find the answers where they are first ; organize it and create good tools to retrieve it. It will have to be done no matter what sexy stratagem you use.

I feel that Landis idea is excellent and that, if it performs beyond any expectation, it will address only a small part of what the already existing information addresses.
I might be wrong.
Wish good luck to the project.
Yet I’ll rather invest my time in the organization of the existing resources and knowledge.

Jean

LOL!!! Dude…I am not looking to REPLACE anything…rather I am looking for additional training aids. Granted, the information that exists currently (although a little acward to find at a moments notice which is how it should be) is obviously indispensible. I realise that you are working very hard in trying to better organise the existing material and I know I speak for everyone when I say thank you!

Now, hopefully I am not “reinventing” anything. My idea addresses something that your “wheel” simply cannot do. Does that mean that the old tutorials suck and my idea is the best? Absolutley not! First off, my idea consists of nothing more than a collaboration of tutorials themselves, both old and new, organized in an interactive manner to benefit the reader . I am confident that you understand exactly what I am talking about, its just that after having read your post I have the feeling that you assumed that I was going to drink a bottle of whiskey, burn all of the old tutorials in my backyard and dance around them while firing my pistols in the sky… YEEEEEHAW!!! I assure you this is not the case.

Without these type of converstaions Blender or any other idea probably never would have made it off of the drawing board, and for that I thank you…not only for your feedback… but you honesty. Hopefully something great will come of all this.

Cheers,
Landis

Hey guys,
I applaud the desire to create quality training material. My 3D animation class starts in about two weeks and I am working hard on getting everything organized in preparation for posting at Blender3d.org Education site. ( I have been distracted for a while as we just added a little baby to our family, our fourth). I plan to run the class assignments off the education site and get direct feedback from my students, improving the site as needed. Blender community feedback will be a huge part of where the site goes and proofing the material for problems/improvements.

The Blender Master Class Concept is a good one, however, I believe it will be most effective for me to pull from all the currently existing resources, compiling them into an organized curriculum. (Cool graphic by the way Landis.)

“Using the spin tool to create an apple”, would in my mind fall into a “Blender core tools and techniques” tutorial/video. IamInnocent’s tutorials mostly fall into this category and he has done a great job of getting into the nitty-gritty of some Blender modelling tools.

Material from the oldsite will be brought forward selectively after editing for interface/blender version changes.

"How to model and render an appealing Bowl of fruit would be a “projects based” tutorial. The distinction may be bit gray at times, but I find it useful.

The bottom line is, the more material the better in my mind. Start with something you are excited about and create the tutorial/video. If we could agree on a format and alook, perhaps we can maintain consistency on the site.

I am using camstudio 2.0

http://www.rendersoftware.com/products/camstudio/ to capturer a blender window set at 640 x 480. I plan to use divx compression to keep it widely playable. Beyond that, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

More on this later.

mthoenes,

Thanks for the reply man! Yeah, the apple/spin idea is just an example. If any video were to have beginner level info such as this, it would’nt be labeled “master class”…I am still working on this in my head a little. The whole idea behind many people doing ONE thing is the most important aspect to uphold. Also, before I continue, congrats on the additiion to your family. My wife and I do not plan on having children for a couple of years yet. It will be very difficult for her and I to make it with just the two of us alone when I get out here in the next year…I can only imagine having a child and going to school in San Fransisco…ahhhhh. Anyways, again, that is awesome man. So, how is the Blender class working out. I have always wanted to teach. I really enjoy helping people along with things that I struggled with…it is almost addicting! I really love forums for this!! Keep us all informed on how the class goes. Feel free to email, or personal message me any links to students work or anything. I would really love to see it. Good luck on your new child and your class.
Take care.

Cheers,
Landis

In all justice Apollux is the one doing the hard work these days, that’ll lead to good classification and search engine eventually that will be more universal than using Mozilla.

Now, hopefully I am not “reinventing” anything. My idea addresses something that your “wheel” simply cannot do. Does that mean that the old tutorials suck and my idea is the best? Absolutley not! First off, my idea consists of nothing more than a collaboration of tutorials themselves, both old and new,

You see I didn’t read it that way. Thanks for your lights.

organized in an interactive manner to benefit the reader . I am confident that you understand exactly what I am talking about, its just that after having read your post I have the feeling that you assumed that I was going to drink a bottle of whiskey, burn all of the old tutorials in my backyard and dance around them while firing my pistols in the sky… YEEEEEHAW!!! I assure you this is not the case.

Err… not exactly…:smiley:

Without these type of converstaions Blender or any other idea probably never would have made it off of the drawing board, and for that I thank you…not only for your feedback… but you honesty. Hopefully something great will come of all this.

I wish so much that it will.
If I find the time I’ll try to unearth any info pertaining to the subjects you’ll bring forth.
BTW, where do you intend to annouce the topics ?

Cheers,
Landis

I’ll have an eye for your work, be assured. Likely will include it to the tutorial (or other category if it happens to be too distinct)

Have the best success possible Landis.

Jean

IamInnocent,

BTW, where do you intend to annouce the topics ?

In the forum. It is the best place I could think of for the entire community to be able to efficiently participate.
I talked to mthoenes tonite on the phone and I have come to the conclusion that videos are very necessary. I do have to admit though, initially it was very difficult for me to work knowing that the camera was rolling, after a while I got the hang of it, however, every so often I would remember that it was recording my every move and I would get a sort of writers block. I think that the more I work with it running the more comfortable I will become. I am VERY confident that it will improve my work if anything. Anyways, I hope that my message didnt seem harsh at all, its just that it is frustrating when people assume that suggestions and ideas are intended to take the place of old ones. There is a neverending list of previously written tutorials that will forever live in this community, however, it is imperative that we continue to create new material to accomadate this ever changing industry. First thing is first though and you are right on that, find another (or some way) to organize ALL of the existing tutorials so that everyday people do not have to create threads in a forum in hope to bring some type of organization to such chaos.

Personally, my aim is not to create a world in which every 3D artist uses Blender…but instead it is to provide those same people with the calliber of work to where they will thirst for the very tools that were used to create it.

Also, my advice for Charles Beaudelaire would be:

“Obviously sometimes in order to understand one another we must first disagree…however, if your objective is to simply monitor whether or not we agree, then you have lost your focus.”

Good luck with your work Jean, and may others benefit from it.

Cheers,
Landis