Controlling eyes, pupils

I have eyes with a pupil texture on them, and I was wondering how to make the pupils look at an empty. I think I saw this somewhere once, but I couldn’t find it. I looked at the tutorial at blenderchar, but part two for the cartoon eyes tutorial was still in construction. Anyone have any tips?

Try tracking it.

Select the eye object,
Shift select the empty
Press Control T (For tracking)

After your done you may have to reset the eye object by selecting it and pressing Alt R.

You can also do the same thing with the constraint button if you want more control. That’s the button that has a chain link on it.

No, tracking and constraints move the eye object, I want to move the pupil texture.

Hmmm… well, I’ve never heard of pupils moving around on an eye that stays motionless!

If that is really what you want to do, then you can use an empty for the mapping coordinates and animate the position/rotation of the empty to move your pupils around.

If the pupil isn’t tracking the empty properly, you can try pressing F7 to go to the animation buttons, then pressing all the different combinations of trackX and upX while the eye is selected. (There’s 18 combinations). If you have the empty in front of the camera and look through the camera (numpad0) then move the empty around a bit it is easy to see if the eyes are working properly.

The green alien head in the demo for rvksliders has such
a setup… in this case the empty that positions
the texture is also controlled by an rvk:

http://bebop.cns.ualberta.ca/~cwant/rvkdemo4.zip

This setup was a ‘proof of concept’ and
I’m not sure if I recommend it – I think
rotating a sphere deformed by a lattice
is a better approach to irregularily
shaped eyes (see the other guy in the
file).

Chris

Hmmm… well, I’ve never heard of pupils moving around on an eye that stays motionless!

Well, I have flat eyes, not actual spheres or other 3D shapes. Thanks for all the input guys, I’ll try everything out and get back to you.

Sounds like i know what your on about…

Let me see…if you mean to say that your pupils are textured on a flat surface (either procedural or image map)…then maybe you could try and set the texture to an empty.

With a few tweaks, that should work.

Heres a quickie i just did now:

http://users.tpg.com.au/tetsuo/pupil_settings.jpg

Heres a little animation

I understood, that you have an eye like in Blenderchar.
So did you even tried it with a Latrice around the blue rainbow skin?
A Latrice 3x3x1. And the 2x2-Cube inside you can use to deform your pupil.

Could be an other idea.
Spazz.