Flying carpet: Cloth to mesh - mesh goes through itself

Hi all,
Been blending a while now, cannot seem to work arround this issue:

We want to make a flying carpet using a mesh instead of a plane so that it has a realistic thickness. We want the carpet to ‘float’ smoothly, but also have some slow movement of the corners going up and down.

Part of the mesh is kept in place by ‘pinning’ - the outer sides have to be animated, we’re using a wind field.

Part has to be solid so we can sit on it, without having to move:

Problem is that the shape goes through itself as it moves around.

• one reason to this problem might be that i cannot put in words what this issue is

This image shows the problem: the dark spots are the upper side of the uv texture.

Have tried many settings such as improving quality, non succesfull.
I’ve also been experimenting with an animated mesh and then wrapping the carpet around it - but that didn’t give any nice ‘windy’ results

thank you for your advice/help/blending/…

Attachments

carpet4.blend (535 KB)

You could try to apply the softody to a lattice, which controls the carpetmodel, instead of using a softbody on the carpet directly.
Because latticeboxes respect the volume, this should work.

Pat

you could try enabling self collision under the ‘Collision’ tab of the cloth

I’ll try this method you describe and post the results - i’ve used lattices before but i’ll have to look it up to refresh my memory. Thank you for this tip!

Selfcollision in my setting made the object inflate :frowning:

I ran into this same issue and found it was because I was using a “two-faced” cloth object (a full closed mesh rather than just a plane), and with Self Collision enabled, the two surface push against one another, giving the inflation you mention. This sort of rules out using Cloth for the object in its current configuration, because without self-collision you’ll always get the mesh penetration. With it, you get a down comforter instead of a carpet :wink:

I don’t know if the Lattice idea will work but it sounds like something to try.

If all else fails, you could perhaps use a trick I had to develop for a difficult Cloth sim situation – convert a number of the Cloth sim frames to shape keys. Once this has been done, you could then apply the shape keys to two identical planes set a small distance apart, and then tweak the borders so they close the gap. This idea would require a couple of scripts at least, one to copy shape keys from one object to another, and one to propagate mesh edits through the shapekeys in a relative manner so the edges would stay looking like they’re joined. A lot of painstaking hand work, so maybe not your cup o’ tea.

Haha, indeed that does seem to be the case :yes:

I’ll give the lattice a try, but the shapekeys have been pulling my attention as well - though indeed a scripter I am not -

With all the tools available it’s hard to imagine there has still got to go so much ‘handwork’ into it.

Thanks for your input!

The two scripts I mentioned are already written – I’ve used both and they work well. Making shape keys from Cloth sim frames – now that’s a time-consuming process, since none of it is automated, although I’m pretty sure it could be if some energetic BPython-er would oblige us. If you decide you want to investigate the technique, let me know & I’ll draft up a step-by step.

Hi,

Reduce the self collision minimum distance to 0.5. It worked when I tried it with your file.

Thank you - baking in progress

chipmasque - thanks for the offer, the technique does intrest me. I’m now baking with a selfcollision min dist 0.5. See how that works out.

Though the shapekey still could come in handy as i’m thinking of trying a slomo effect, because i would love to see more movement, like the corners going up and down and all this without creating a thunderstorm like wind. Heavy wind makes good movement but way to fast.
I’ve read that to make a slowmotion on cloth you’ll need to use shapekeys.

• but then again i might be better of fiddling with windfields and gravity.

As far as I can see from the frames that have already rendered it does seem to work with the selfcollision setting.

I hope it does work or you (the self-collision setting). With my model, I think its scale was too large for even the least minimum distance to be effective, I couldn’t set it small enough to keep the mesh from inflating.

One thing to keep in mind when using the Cloth sim is that it’s apparently tied to a certain Blender Unit (BU) scale: 1 BU = 1 meter. So if your model is far from this scale, it can make the Cloth sim act a little funky.

Been a while - project is finished, and was on exhibition. Got some nice comments. Credits also to this community.

Ok so we’ve settled with the method of selfcollision.

• Animated 2 wind sources to make the flaps move up and down.
  • Only downside would be this: when looking into the details you can see small vibrations.

Attached the blend file - you’re all free to use it if you want.

Thank you all for the help.

See the project at:

www.vimeo.com/2216476 (the actual piece on exhibition was 40 min without sound)

:smiley:

Attachments

carpet4.blend (544 KB)

Hi!

I have a little more complex problem on selfcollision, and I would be grateful if someone could help me.
So, the project was to create a newspaper from a single plain sudivided 4times only its vertical edges, and extruded them.These extrudes are it’s pages, and then flipped them clothes to each other, to have a near-closed newspaper look.
I’ve turned it into a cloth and enabled selfcollision in case not to permeate the pages on themselves when they land on a floor(like in a real newspaper ad). The problem was that when I activate selfcollision, it starts acting like an idiot :), and anything I change min, max distance… it doesn’t stop.
Project file, and video:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5txpj3

Please someone help me what is the problem and how can I solve this. The only thing I think would be a problem, that the vertecies are too close to each other, but in this case, it must to be like this. So please someone help!

Hi!

I have a little more complex problem on selfcollision, and I would be grateful if someone could help me.
So, the project was to create a newspaper from a single plain sudivided 4times only its vertical edges, and extruded them.These extrudes are it’s pages, and then flipped them clothes to each other, to have a near-closed newspaper look.
I’ve turned it into a cloth and enabled selfcollision in case not to permeate the pages on themselves when they land on a floor(like in a real newspaper ad). The problem was that when I activate selfcollision, it starts acting like an idiot :), and anything I change min, max distance… it doesn’t stop.
Project file, and video:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5txpj3

Please someone help me what is the problem and how can I solve this. The only thing I think would be a problem, that the vertecies are too close to each other, but in this case, it must to be like this. So please someone help!