Petunia the bot - paper model

This is a pretty old project, actually I started to work inspired by this post on blendernation. If they can make models of wax, why can’t I make models of paper? That was a challenge for me :slight_smile:

The process was much the same like I describe in the tutorial.
I downloaded the Petunia model by macouno from here (Thank you very much for releasing this model! I hope you don’t mind me using it.) Turning the mesh into low-poly was a bit more difficult than before, but I think the result was pretty good. I had to divide the mesh in 19 parts in order to unfold it correctly. Then I ran the bake render, result is below:

It’s a complex model, so it wasn’t easy to stick together. It took me, as far as I remember, a whole weekend. But I’m happy with the result:

The right hand is black for some reason unknown to me. The lighting is generally a bit off, it’s a shame :confused:

I’m going to post more paper models soon, because I began to like them :slight_smile:
Critics are welcome.

Here is the image prepared for printing (one A4 sheet, the result is about 14cm high):

Attachments

Wow… that is awesome!

Great work.

Ha, Man that’s Great!!
But how did you unfold such a complex mesh? When I try to use Unfold script with a bit more complex meshes than a simple box, I get an error: “unfolding failed - try again”. Marking seams doesn’t help…?
Btw, which Blender and script version do you use?

Hehe, fun, I should try one of those modellings.

Unfortunately, the script is quite stupid, so you’ve got to manually divide the mesh into many objects - 19 in my case. If you only split the mesh into pieces in one object (either by Y-Split or dividing by seams), the script will fail.
And if all of the resulting objects are convex-like (or sphere-like), no problems should occur.
I’m aware of it’s probably hard to understand the tutorial, both because of my English and because I’ve forgotten to mention many minor problems. But it’s only feedback what makes me do updates.
I’m not sure - probably I used blender 2.47 from the current svn, but that doesn’t matter.

That is so cool!

I love what you did with petunia! Might have to make a newspost about it hehe… you seriously made my day haha

great work. here is a paper model i did a while ago

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=135181

Something out of ordinary for a 3D forum :slight_smile:
very good effort!