Tarantula

Hello… ok, this is the result of some testing and learning about Blender hair particles…

Made with Blender internal, all lighting is raytraced except for AAO, around 1.8MM hairs and around 2.5MM polys. Rendertime 4h

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/445/tarantulaog1.th.jpg

Maybe in the future i’ll create a better scene with it, like a good ground or shomething.

Greets.
tuqueque.

holy crap! thats amazing. nothing else to say. 5

It’s really photorealistic, did you use the lightcuts algorithm when rendering this?

Thank you ocularb0b and Jörzi… and no, i didn’t use Lightcuts for this scene, just regular tools and features… the only fancy thing i did was to set an area light (with shadows activated) pointing up bellow the tarantula to fake light bouncing off the white floor.

scarring good , very nice, looks reel. Next step is to add a victim :wink:

This is real photorealstic! Great work man!

Really excellent work, would be nice in a scene.

This is the rug, or carpet fur tarantula i see, and an excellent on too.

The texturing and fur is great, but i think a good backdrop would be some easy textured leaves on the ground, with maybe some sticks and such, acorns.

great work. Surprised it is the Internal Render

very nice render, great.Did you use the new paint tool? if not would you explain me what you did for the material, uv map, directly painted??

Actually a photorealstic work! Congrats!

spot on! Great work. My only crit is that the fur/hair is distributed too evenly. Some of the top areas need to be a bit thinner.

Its superb man. Well done

You should have put the floor mesh as OnlyShadow and put an ground image behind that tarantula.

Looks very real.

Great work! What kind of reference did you have.
Love seeing Blender stuff at this level!

Have any plans for animating it?

Scaaaary spider! Great work, very realistic!

indeed! very awesome and great hair!

Thank you guys!

I did it mainly for testing Blender hair particles, a little bit of UV mapping and some basic rigging. That’s why i din’t worry about scenario… But yes, i plan to do it in the future, i plan to do an animation, and yes, maybe i’ll create a “victim” ;)… But it will not be soon. Probably i’ll wait until Durian Blender version to take advantage of possible new features like GI or micro-polygon displacement.

Thanks. I just did UV mapping with a lot of procedurals (i avoid A LOT using bitmaps), the only bitmap was on the thorax. I think the “secret” for getting good results is setting materials as realistic as possible, hair has translucency, colors were very carefully set, you don’t have to be affraid to use a lot of hair, i always try to put realism over speed and phisically “correct” concepts over tricks or textures or paints or whatever, i always use raytraced shadows and all muy work now takes gamma and exposure concepts into account. Also, take as many different reference images as you can, some images will give you ideas that others don’t.

Years ago i’ve had a couple of tarantula “pets” myself so i know how they look and behave, i also googled for images to have better references… Modeling is far from perfect or anatomically correct but is OK for testing, and i wasn’t intending to get any specific species, just a good tarantula-ish look… colors actually remember a wolf spider.

Greets.
tuqueque.

Awesome stuff. Briiliant.
Five stars.