i am new to animation
i created a simple animation
select “AVI Codec” from “Format” panel
and press ANIM
when animation is done
i am pressing F3 to save my new AVI movie
then it save only one jpeg image :wink:

to the question :
can blender create a movie file (avi/mkv/mov/etc…)
or should i do that externally from another application ?

thanks

look in your c: mp directory for the file

or
press the play button
or
look to where its saving to in the render settings (anim)

thank you
found it under the tmp folder

but it dont look the same
as when i play the movie in blender

see attached images

Attachments

Microsoft Video 1 is a very old codec. MPEG-4 will yield much better results.

For WMV files - guaranteed to be playable on the vast majority of PCs (i.e. Windows) - the best route is to render from Blender using AVI Raw. This file can then be opened in clunky old Windows MovieMaker (free) and rendered using the “Save to my computer” option. If the limited range of output formats aren’t right for you, then the freely downloadable Windows Media Encoder can be used to create any profile you want for your WMV files. These profiles define the output size, video and audio bit rates, etc. of a WMV file. The profiles are saved as .prx files, and define what appears in MovieMaker’s list of output options.

I expect there’s lots of other free encoders available, but this route works well for WMV.

thank u
i didn’t see mpeg-4 in the menu.
how ever no wav also
what i have to chose for those options

Try other codecs too, and, the things is (As some said too) that maybe the software will play something older first so its best for you too look for some video files in the tmp folder (or the location in your hard disk where you save youre renderings).

I suggest you try the Indeo codec or Microsoft Video 1, but, then again if it is not a big animation try using the full frames uncompresed.

Blender can create a movie file, i can show you my video animation that i have played and that works.

If you consider that you cannot play the video in the blender engine try using some other muldimedia software not just windows media player, try winamp.

By the way, you should consider in downloading a codec pack such as the K Lite code back.
It can proove yousefull when you want to play some video files that have a codec that none of your multimedia softwares has.

When you click Anim, the avi is automatically created - you don’t have to press F3.

I use avi-jpeg - playable on any computer + less space
Also, the H.264 codec for Quicktime videos is a real plus :slight_smile:

If you want to keep your original AVI-“Footage” as close as possible to single JPEG frames - or if you intend to use it with further image processing- streaming- or video-mixing applications (Resolume, or FreeJ) you won’t have much fun with destructive compression-optimizes codecs as H264 or most invocatios of MPEG4, as these formats will not allow you to transcode your “master copy” losslessly into other formats or to fully recover all single frames between keyframes. You definitely want to use MJPEG for this purpose (unless you have the capacities to handle uncompressed RGB). The safest, although not too elegant, way is to render avi-raw and encode it cleanly with mencoder, ffmpeg (Unix), Quicktime Pro or what ever else will accept a raw JPEG stream. Conversion to MJPEG-encoded AVI (or MOV - or advanced MJPEG versions as Cinepak) will not affect the original JPEG frames, it will only pack and index them - H264 or worse MS Video1, DivX, XviD etc… will compress the original footage irreversibly (and delete up to 75% of the original information).

by the way i noticed the blender using codecs installed on the PC
under “AVI codec”
am i right ?

correct. Blender produces three avi flavors: avi raw (no compression), avi jpg (jpg compression) and the a codec. There is a user prefs option to enable all codecs on your pc. to select the codec, click the set codec button. from there, you will see the list of codecs. click on any one and you get its configuration box.

thank you …
i installed k-lite codec pack on my computer
what should i install to get h.264
can blender generate mkv for it?

i licensed Apple Quicktime Pro, and I think that is how I got that codec originally. But, I think it is available to you for free if you just select FFMPEG as the container, and then in the Video panel, select H.264

H.264 codec is included in K-Lite and after installing I have this :

thank you all

i have VISTA 64 bit
and i run blender 64 bit
only when i run blender 32 bit i see all available codecs

any ideas why ?

my guess i that the codec are installed at “c:\Program Files (x86)”