Bas-relief compositing node

Hello, I released the Bas-relief compositing node I did some time ago.
The documentation+link to a patch (against 2.49) is here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Pildanovak

please comment on the functionality and maybe even requests.This is a quite specific project which not many people will probably use, but I personally fount the algorithm amazing, since it helped me very much…

Oh, I’ve heard of this one before, very nice stuff!

Thanks for your effort :slight_smile:

I’m surprised this got so little attention, it seems like a really powerful addition to Blender as it opens a whole new area of 3d reliefs. Native-american indians, the Greek, Mesopotamia, the Romans, they all made this stuff and it’s cool to see blenderheads can now as well :slight_smile:

Anyway, will report it at Blendernation :wink:

One thing that got my ears pointed up is also your talk of perhaps getting crazybump functionality into Blender. I haven’t used crazybump, but I heard and saw it can make really good normal maps from regular images, a lot better than what the nvidia normal map plugin can do. Not to mention all CG forums I read are crazy for it.

If I understood the math behind it I would try to incorporate the partial differential equations solver into the image->normal map texture node I’ve been working on. But, alas, I don’t so I just use a sobel kernel ripped from the gimp normal map plugin.

Also pretty sure Kai uses the fftw lib in his ocean texture patch.

it would be even better if there was any SVN for vistas 32 bits

cause i’m not really into building blender version

but i like theses bas reliefs
it would be a plus for any old classical architecture bas reilied

from the roman empire to the Greek temple and up to the dark ages churchs or the renaissance era!

that would be nice to have this feature in blender 2.5

Thanks
happy blendering

can anyone help here ?

i never built blender before and i’m not a programmer
so i guess that to explain how to built and get whatever is required is a lot of work for the first time and too long explian this here

but can someone do an SVN with the patch for vista windows 32 bits 2.49a

that would be fantastic to try this new feaature

thanks
Happy blendering

I’m not. While it’s an interesting development and a good job, it seems to serve minimal purpose. I’m sure it will be nice for a few animations. Since there is displacment mapping, I don’t see much use. We just need to get good render time sub-pixel, micro polygon, adaptive displacements and we’re set.

I’ll certainly get use from the new node – I’ve been using Blender for both CNC and 3D printing, and I’m already thinking of projects that this will make much easier. Now to see how big the image needs to be to bring it back in as a good height map :slight_smile:

It also convinced me to compile Blender from source for the first time (under Ubuntu, sorry RickyBlender).

Very nice. I’ve been trying this through all kinds off techniques, like bumpmapped photoshoptweaked depth-map renderings, or scale all object along view z-axis. but never with such a good result.

For possible additional features, take a look at this one http://vcg.isti.cnr.it/activities/miscellanea/basrelief/tutorialbasrel.html it’s open source, but for SGI (irix). they let you define close and far away planes to define the detail and perspective. It’s a totally different approach, but it might suit your needs.

another question for you: for CNC cutting do you use an STL file? or are you able to create IGES or STEP files in your workflow. (we print lots of models always stl from blender)

Great work!

hope to see this one released as a package…

I’ll upload a build to graphicall, ubuntu 8.10.

bartrobinson: The node does something very different to just displace map a texture. It converts a discontinual z-buffer to something continuous, believe me it’s something you hit at the moment you try to do such thing…

Ysengrin - nice to hear. I use resolutions from 4000 to 8000 pixels. However, I recommend to test the node with much smaller resolutions and small iteration numbers(put a scale node before the bas-relief node), and also switch the nodes completely off when changing values, since a single recompute can take up to 15 minutes.

Hey I succeeded in applying the patch and compiling blender. I reproduced your node setup. however when pressing use nodes, I get:

lots of these
Mapalloc returns nill, fallback to regular malloc: len=0 in compbuf Fac rect, total 47112000
Mapalloc returns nill, fallback to regular malloc: len=0 in compbuf Fac rect, total 47112000

and then:
Calloc returns nill: len=120 in compbuf, total 56956936
Segmentation fault

I ran an strace too and here is the blendfile

all I need to do to reproduce the bug is press “use nodes” or press “render” with “do composite” enabled off course

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

-K

Wow - this node is amazing.
I very much agree that this should be a must have patch.

Claas

pildanovak: Your build works on my 64bit system. I noticed it’s a 32 bit 2.48 build, but getlibs and some manual linking and downloading of libopenexr and libopenal I succeeded in both running your blenderbuild and creating output.

to create the final mesh I use the displace modifier, is that the right way?

thanks

-K

I just saw that the SVN is for Linux only

i hope you can make one for Vista 32 Bitts too!

Thanks you very much for this built

for classical architeture this is a great tool !

i;m certain a lot of other people will find it very usefull and esier to use this tool

now can you tell us if this sort of an equivalent to the script that makes a displacement map from a picture

becaue that one can produce nice displacement map but the size are huge
i mean for one small picture you can get a mesh the size of 1 000 000 vertices
and begin to makes blender sklugish a little

i will test that today thanks a lot Man

ricky - good quality conversion from images could be achieved, but I don’t plan to do it yet. This is purely for transforming z-buffer to a usable relief. see the docs and pictures on how to plug in the node, I guess I will also upload my testing scene. Maybe the script could be changed to generate displacement map instead of a mesh? since then you could use a subdivided plane which would get highres only for rendering…

Are you going to upoad a built for Vista 32 bits ?

i would definitively like to give a try and see results for some basrelief for the parthenon
i got some pics of some of the basreliefs and would like to test this!

but by looking at the Wood basrelief this looks great !

but i did not see anything said about what type of pictures you need to use this new nodes
i mean is it a pic taken at angle to the bas relief or in front of it so you can see the 3D patterns with light shadows et…

if you happen to have some good technicals papers too i like to read more about this algorythm to convert pic to relief - very interesting subject

but has you wrote in wikipage with some addition this could praticaly replace Crazybump
and blender would be more independant and more powerfull!

Thanks

VERY useful patch. Thank you for your work. Here’s hoping for an OSX build :slight_smile:

Where can I get the patch? The link does not work.

HI, I cleaned up my site, so I am sorry I forgot to remake this link, now the patch is on same link as originally

weird double post,sry