The Asteracers Project

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][/_S_T_E_R/_C_E_R_S]__

[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]B/_C_K_S_T_O_R_Y_
For over a hundred years, space travel has become increasingly quicker and safer.
The United Worlds Government had previously outlawed a sport known as “asteracing”, in which players race their craft through asteroid fields (thus the name), star systems, dense jungle, and other increasingly hostile environments, due to the incredible dangers the sport entails. Nevertheless, a select and brave few (not necessarily all humans) equipped with incredibly powerful and blazing-fast spacecraft continue to illegally play the sport.

The Asteracers manage to operate under cover for around a decade. Unfortunately for you, the player, their time has nearly run out. A few small Asteracers ships on patrol damage a lone UWG fighter, which has shot one of them down, injuring the pilot. Unfortunately, this provides the UWG with the “legal” backing they need to launch a full-scale assault. A UWG missile strike takes the Asteracers off guard, nearly completely demolishing their base and scattering the remnants of the once-proud rebellion across the galaxy. Can the Asteracers regain their former glory, and rise to challenge the UWG’s tyranny once again?

T_E/_M_
polyman- Team leader.
dedean16- Official Python Scripter
christiani_if- General advice, modeler
dhaher- Modeler as well.
GAGgc- [Probable] Web page designer
Minifig-General provider of sound advice- texturer as well.
ShingWanTin- Prop and landscape modeler. Currently working on his own project, known as Project Krypton.

Our new blog can be found at http://asteracers.wordpress.com/ !
If you want any more information or think you can help, please post.
Check the end of the thread, since the game’s come a long way.

Attachments

What is the style of gameplay?
(deathmatch, exploration, or campaign?)

Here’s a jet something I made a week or two ago. It’s not textured, but it is unwrapped (not the best but it’s the best I could do). If you use it let me know. Also feel free to add what ever you like to it, just give me full credit for the base model.
Good Luck! If you need any more help with weapons or maybe other cars just holla! (hehe)

Attachments

JetSled2.blend (197 KB)

I made a pretty cool space ship model. Here it is:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=160236
You could use them if you want.

Thanks for responding!

Minifig- The style of gameplay will be a cross between many high-speed races and exploring and fighting in different parts of a huge!!! galaxy, all while trying to avoid United Worlds space patrols.

LGB- Thanks! This sled could be used for maintenance of tracks or bases. It could also be used for a ground-based United Worlds patrol cruiser. I’ll see what I can do.

Zootanore- That is EXACTLY what I wanted! Can you blend a few more of that style of spacecraft (all slightly different, though)?

How could I handle in-game explosions?

Video textures maybe?

Could you post some screenshots please, i like to see it before i help. :slight_smile:

CoonerBoy-I haven’t got most of the graphics done yet (that’s why I need help) but i’ve got a few shots.

(Thanks to Zootanore for the ship!)

(Last one’s a render. Don’t wanna lie.)

Attachments

1.The black background is getting kinda boring. Anyone got a space texture we could use??

2.I would like models of: (done in a futuristic style and reasonably low-poly) spaceships and a start/finish line.

I modelled a quick checkpoint/finish/start point for you. I don’t’ really know if it’s what your looking for. Its sorta like those floaty-space things that you see in the old Jetsons shows.

As for the space ship models, the one I gave shouldn’t be too hard to modify yourself :wink:

Attachments

checkpoint.blend (152 KB)

Here is a star field texture:
http://www.cdupload.com/thumbs/small/59978_ujnes/Star%20Field.png

Next week and the week after that I won’t be at home so I can’t blend. I don’t know if that will kill this thread- I just hope not.

edit- Thanks for the tex Minifig!

@ Zootanore – You can make the flag softbody and pin it to the pole like this:

Attachments

checkpointFlag.blend (41.5 KB)

Zootanore- Sorry, there’s no wind in space except for solar wind, and this isn’t really meant to be a cartoony Jetsons like game. Kinda has more like a techno theme to it. Thanks for your time, though.

UPDATE- There are now stars!!! (They’re just a plane parented to the camera. How else could I do them?)

Attachments

Maybe an icosphere vertex parented to the ship?

There are now stars!!! (They’re just a plane parented to the camera. How else could I do them?)

I think it would look better if the stars don’t move with the camera or the ship. Can’t you just make a icosphere that isn’t moving? You’d only have to make it very big.
If you need some help with the python scripting, I can help if you wan’t. Are there scripts you’ve already done?

Yes, use an icoshpere vertex parented to the ship. Select the isosphere, shift select the ship, go into edit mode, slelect a vertex on the ship and press control + p. Nice first game!

Yay!! The “big icosphere” idea worked. Thanks, guys! (The texture only is visible in-game. Is there any way to do in-game screenshots?)

Attachments