DAZ 3D STUDIO FREE and Blender

http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio3?_m=d

I have just download the software and I would like to read your opinions on the subject.

1. Is it any good ?
  2. Have you made things with it ?
  3. Can you provide link to your work with DAZ ?
  4. Does it play well with blender ?
  5. If it does not , what are the problems ?
  6. How does it compare with DAZ 3d Studio Advance ?
  7. Any other comment ?

Damn! Sorry for double post!

1: it depends, this program is only for posing characters, with props, and rendering (uses 3Delight, but kinda hard to setup properly). No modelling, no animation.
2: I played around, and found it amazingly boring, the free stuff it comes with is ugly, and there is no way to import things into it without paying.
3: besides playing with it, I didn’t do anything worth posting, it’s kind of weird to post someone else models if you ask me …
4: well, you can export the models to obj or dae, but armatures simply won’t.
5: no armatures.
6: no idea
7: is pretty usefull for sketching characters on difficult poses, I used it mostly for that, but even that way, I found the characters utterly stiff.

DAZ Studio is pretty much as its name implies, a virtual 3D photography studio. It can’t make anything but can import models either in various Poser™ formats or wavefront object format. So you can bring static props made in Blender into Studio. Studio can also do animation but the tools sets are a bit weak at the moment.

Yeah I’ve used it. I even bought the $25 bone creator for the program and fiddled with it. Not to pleased on it’s functionality. My friend used it all the time and so I was planning on making a blender script to transfer armatures over to but never got around to it.

Someone has already made a script to try to convert Blender rigging to Studio. They posted at the Blender forum at Renderosity; here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2773993

The rigging works well in Studio but not Poser, and since Poser is the original program the rigging style came from the script doesn’t seem all that useful to me.

bumping this thread as i noticed
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=182532

It’s been a while i didn’t tried DAZ Studio (last i tried it was the free version 3) , as i don’t have any kind of use of it, but whoever like this kind of program may be interested, as it’s the pro version there.
Bryce7 and Hexagon may interest me though but i never tried them, are they any good ?.

DAZ is announcing the immediate limited-time availability of a FREE 3D Software Suite
including the full retail versions of DAZ Studio 4 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro and Hexagon 2.5

The availability of these extremely popular tools for free will allow an even larger number of customers to enjoy the benefits of creating their own 3D art and animations without a significant financial investment. Current customers can feel confident in sharing this opportunity with family and friends.

DAZ 3D is offering the following 3D products for free:

DAZ Studio 4 Pro (Including Genesis, winner of 3D World’s 2011 Software Innovation of the Year Award) : Retail $429.95

Bryce 7 Pro 3D Landscape and Animation Software: Retail $249.95

Hexagon 2.5 3D Modeling Software: Retail $149.95

3D Photoshop Bridge: Retail $199.00 (Included with DAZ Studio 4 Pro)

Bryce used to have been one of the top landscape generation program in the late '90s for the Mac and then PC. It’s still pretty good but to anyone else (even in the professional industry) would consider it a toy (because of the UI and controls).

Hexagon 2.5 seems like a good modeler. The setup/layout is almost like the old Ray Dream 3D program (one of the ancestors of Carrara, I believe). Version 2.0 was included free on a disc in past issues of 3D World magazine but it was unstable.

Blender modeling has improved because of the vast improvement due to the Open Source movie projects. For the toolsets, I like Blender and Wings3D a bit better.

Thanks.

I gave a try to Hexagon and immediately disliked the navigation that is based on icons for rotating or moving the camera, maybe there are alternative method but i didn’t insisted much considering the 2nd point.

Performance… I gave a try to a sphere, used what looked like the equivalent to subsurf/multires to see how Hexagon would react at high poly, and once the face count was about to reach roughly 100.000 a pop up message warned me that such polycount could freeze Hexagon.
Confirming, it just crashed the program for me.

Considering Blender on my rather weak system has been climbing in sculpt mode up to 10.000.000 faces without crashing (though totally unworkably slow as my system is not great with opengl) , it’s definitively not up to Blender in term of raw power.
After that maybe the modelling toolset have more function, i didn’t explored it much, but as i like going to sculpt (that need high polycount) and sometime play around animating and texturing, Hexagon is not for me.

So is it worth trying out?

I’m using it, its nice for poses and animation but the purpose of be free is to sell you the huge content they offer (lots of dolls, yeah mamas!) many people buy them!..I build my own dolls!

If anyone is at all interested in DAZ Studio this is the time to get as it is the Pro version with all the extra tools for rigging your own content. As others have pointed out the vast majority of users simply buy their content. Having the Pro version could open an opportunity to make some money making content.

I don’t get it. What’s the purpose of buying pre-made content. I mean is there really someone who’s going to create a movie out of it. I never saw ‘‘what ever’’ done with Victoria 4 (example) other then inside Daz’s website. It seem to me that Daz’s products are only good for hobbyist. Although when you look at what Bryce 7 is capable landscape side, well tell me if I’m wrong but it seems to be easier to create a ‘‘forest landscape with a lake and all’’ in bryce than in Blender. Anyway, to be honest I did purchase them since they’re free but I don’t know if I’ll install them.

TheElwolf