blender 2.5 & GE?

first of all i am really dying out of impatience so can some one tell me exact date when blender 2.5 is going to be released (officially)? :rolleyes: :smiley:

i also wanted to ask what are the improvements and additions in bge in blender 2.5?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

thanks…

The official blender press release from Siggraph about the release of blender 2.5

The first of the official 2.5 versions will be released in October, during the 8th annual
Blender Conference in Amsterdam. The Blender team plans to give regular updates, with
the 2.5 project to be completed with the Durian film premiere in 2nd quarter 2010.

Also: http://www.blendernation.com/blender-developers-meeting-notes-7/

Richard

From what I’ve gathered, the 2.5 GE:
-will remove depreciation warnings
-will return vector objects for things like object.position, object.getLinearVelocity() and return matrix objects for object.orientation
-will allow you to subclass scenes and objects
-will allow you to dynamically load and free data

I wouldn’t expect much new stuff for the GE from 2.5, it looks like 2.5 will align to Durain’s need, so animating, rigging, composition and rendering will get new features.

Hopefully, the release after 2.5 gives us goodies :slight_smile:

weren’t there some people making new logic set ups for 2.5?

i downloaded the 2.5 GE build from graphicall.org

and lemme say there is actually alot of performance improvement.

in 2.49
GLSL
25000 faces
normal maps
2 lamps
2 spotlights (1 with shadow,1 without)
ran at 20 FPS

the same blend file ran on the 2.5 GE seemed to run at around 30 fps (just an approximation, but it definately improved quite significantly)

hi mohd.itqan,

I just downloaded the lastest 2.5 build and it’s still pretty buggy but there are a couple of improvements that I noticed for the game engine.

Improved sound support. I played mp3 and ogg sound files without any problem and they sound great.

Improved frame rate. I have a blend file on my website called tunnel run. Tunnel is textured and it has a driveable car that uses the vehicle wrapper. On 2.49b, I get 129 frames per second. With 2.5, I get 314 frames per second.

Clark

about that is the sound actuator new?

will allow you to dynamically load and free data

HOLY CREEPES !!!

that’s a pretty darn good improvement already

THANKS AHEAD GODLIKE DEVELOPERS !

Some of the big things are:
Dynamic loading and freeing
IK in the ge
New sound system

I still haven’t figured out where the fps boost comes from though. :smiley:

I think it has to do with the way 2.5 handles events. The stand-alone player has always been known to run faster than the embedded one, so maybe with 2.5 event management, the ge has more room to move and may be coming closer to the stand-alone player’s performance? However, I don’t think that even this explanation can account for some of the dramatic increases I’ve been seeing. Maybe I just missed some optimization commits or something. :spin:

From what I hear:

In Blender 2.5:

• Sound will finally be fully supported. Intel-Macs will finally get to hear sound!

• Real time IK support. Extremely useful. (for those who don’t know what IK is, it allows you to basically tell a chain of bones (like an arm) to move to reach for a position in real time. This would allow your character to actually touch objects in you game.)

• Dynamic loading and freeing. Not 100% sure on the support here, but I think entire scenes can be loaded as well as individual mesh data.

• Further improved python API. This should help those who don’t want to deal with Matrices and such.

• Unexplainable frame rate increase. I’ve asked around, and no one can explain it, but the BGE got faster somehow…

Thats all I can think of, but I’m hoping for more improvements. 2.5 will not be out any time soon. It’s still under development, and it will probably be a long time before we get an official release.

Passes out

Passes out

Passes out

Its all sounding very good, I have been unaware of most of these things, Ive heard a few rumors for stuff (like the new sound systems) but didnt know it had been implemented in present builds.

I don’t know where all this discussion about frame rate improvements comes from because I’m not getting it, I’m going slower than before.

I don’t have GPU, maybe that helps someone figure out the phantom fps increase?

That would be great.

Where did you hear that?

. dies

october is already over still no news of b2.5 im really loosing patience.anyone knows any approx date?

It was delayed til November, hopefully this or next week.:stuck_out_tongue:

Cool, thnx zarnik

You guys have me so excited!!! I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

Good! The longer its delayed the better the 2.5 release will be. If there are errors and things that needs to be fixed then I don’t mind waiting until December or early 2010.

Is there any chance that some of these features could find there way into a 2.49c release?
If so that would be THE Blender to use for making games.

And in view of the game competition, it would be greatly appreciated.