Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks again Migius!

For anyone's reference according to a dev at the IRC #Blendercoders Blender runs on single precision

Thanks again Migus!

For anyone who is interested after speaking with a Dev at BlenderCoders I learned that Blender works on Single Precision.

Bleiner

Originally Posted by dfro View Post
    migius,

I would like to humbly offer a few ideas on getting paid.

If you want to make money doing this, I think you should put an automated donate button on your site that makes it very easy for people to contribute. You might want to check out how the guys at Ardour (digital audio recording/editing software) are trying to get paid. They ask professionals that are using Ardour to contribute a monthly donation to keep development continuing. They also have a pledge area for functions that people want. As the pledge amount increases, the developers get more excited about adding the function. There is also a graph that shows whether the main developer is making a decent living this month. It really gets the point across to the professionals using the software.

I am sure there are some other standard ways that people are getting their FOSS projects funded. Google Summer of Code?

I think the "e-mail for the scripts" idea is a bottle neck. The world will love you for openly sharing these tools. You will be the Linus Torvalds of Blender CAD functionality. I think what you are doing is so important to Blender that you should be included on their team (that means you should get some money from the Blender Foundation).

Start a forum where we can all rant about the CAD functions we want added or improved. For example, trying to use Blender's snap tool to accurately position an object drives me crazy. On the forum have a section about what human factors, ergonomics, functionality, etc should be copied from other programs - like Rhino and Modo.

Make the website look more interesting. Give us screen shots and videos. Draw us into the excitement of what you are doing next. Have a CADtools gallery.

Tell others what you are doing. Have you told Allan Brito at www.blender3darchitect.com about your project? I am sure he would love to do a write-up on your progress.

Put some advertising on your site. Create some members only tutorials on how to use the CADtools like at Blender Cookie.

It seems to me that getting paid as a developer in FOSS projects means doing a lot more that writing great code - you have to build a community of people that are excited about what you are doing. I know I am excited about what you are doing.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hi Dave,
    thank you very much for your feedback and ideas.

I am familiar with these ideas already, though I see no chance to realize them now.
    All my time goes into programing and bug fixing to make the script ready for beta release. I make a great progress but it consumes an incredible much time.
    This is also the ground the manual and feature videos are not ready yet and the project homepage is so minimalistic.
    Blog-scenario is not realistic: although I am working on my English, it is still not efficient enough for regular reports about my activities and project's progress - it would take to much time.

In opposite to my previous projects I decided to start an alternative developing model for CADtools, with the hope to get more feedback and financial support from users.
    It bases on non-anonymous relations, means i have individual contact to each user.
    Registration obstacle is the method to get in contact to people really interested in.
    I am all for open source software but found no better method to motivate people to get in contact with me than keeping sources closed and offering binaries only for registered users.
    And it works - the feedback is better than for DXF-scripts. The financial part doesn't work, but i hope it will change with publication of beta version.

I don't think current Blender community is able to finance CAD extension for Blender (see our efforts for Nurbana integration: link1, link2), because there are too few users really interested in CAD and even they are not in the position to pay much for it (students, hobbyists). The point is to get more professional CAD users on board.

I have contacted Bart at BlenderNations and Allan at Blender3dArchitect already, but asked them not to publicize about CADtools until i have a stable beta. The problem is: beta should have a working UNDO functionality, but Blender's UNDO function "doesn't like" some python scripts, mine inclusive. I am trying to figure it out since a long time and I really don't know how long it will take to fix it.

migius
    Last edited by migius; 04-Sep-10 at 12:33. Reason: added Nurbana links

Migius,

I figured that most of what I said was obvious to you. I hope you can figure out a way to get paid in some way for the important work you are doing.

Your English is very understandable, in my opinion. I propose that a section be created in the Blender Artists Forums for people to discuss CAD features being added to Blender and your CADtools scripts. That way you can work on writing code, and others can handle administering a forum on the topic.

I think when people start using your precision modeling tools they will not be able to do without them.

Dave

Originally Posted by dfro View Post
    Migius,
    I figured that most of what I said was obvious to you. I hope you can figure out a way to get paid in some way for the important work you are doing.

Your English is very understandable, in my opinion. I propose that a section be created in the Blender Artists Forums for people to discuss CAD features being added to Blender and your CADtools scripts. That way you can work on writing code, and others can handle administering a forum on the topic.
    hi,
    because of my limited capacities, if i want to bring CADtools into stable stage i must reduce side activities and full concentrate on coding. There are two extensions waiting to be done next: architectural object-oriented tools (ARCHtools) and concept creation tools (ARCHconcept).
    The ARCHconcept module is the most exciting part of the project for me, because i will have a chance to create a really innovative application: environment for conceptual work for architects and designers.
    Blender is the perfect vehicle for it.
    And the perfect platform to go open source with the final product.
    I have a quite sharp vision about what i want to reach and this is my motivation for keeping the project alive.

I appreciate the idea with CAD section on BA forum, but doubt if there is enough interest to this topic currently to create an extra section for it - see the few guests on CADtools thread here.

There are a few voluble initiatives dedicated to "CAD with Blender" spread over the net:
    http://blender-archi.tuxfamily.org/F...r_Architecture
    http://yorik.uncreated.net/
    http://www.blender3darchitect.com/

I think when people start using your precision modeling tools they will not be able to do without them.
    Probably yes. I know this feeling, because i am coming from CAD world, hehe.
    Five years ago i wondered why such tools are not implemented in Blender already. Since then some things changed but not satisfactory enough to me.
    With CADtools project i want to demonstrate that it is doable and how it could be done.
    If i do it right people will start to see Blender as interesting alternative to common CAD applications.

I am going to report about CADtools project on Blender Conference this year. A small presentation or workshop is possible if anyone interested in.

see you
    migius

CADtools 0.51 alpha - 2010.09.07 released.
    new features:
    - new draw tool CURVE for drawing Bezier-Curves
    - tools for Bezier-Curves-editing are more complete and stable now
    - it is possible now to cut/trim geometry to selected Bezier-curve
    - also crossing two Bezier-Curves works (although not for all cases yet)
    - ARCHtools-STAIR-module updated, added visual feedback (ghost object)
    - you have direct access to DXF-export and DXF-import scripts (it needs corrections in dxf code for seamless work yet)
    - you can select/deselect individual elements with LMB-click
    - SELECT: added OBJECT-mode, so now you can select Objects
    - SELECT: LMB-drag in left-up direction calls context-menu
    - SELECT: aligned-mode allows you to one click select areas of coplanar/collinear elements
    - added autorepeat-mode to MOVE tool

migius,

I think you are in a "build it and they will come" situation. Once you begin showing video clips of how much easier it is to model with some precision modeling tools, I think there will be great excitement.

I am sure you know about this, but here are a pair of CAD add-ons for Lightwave and Modo. Maybe, you can get some ideas.

LWCAD 3.5 for Lightwave:

http://www.wtools3d.com/product.php

CADbuddy for Modo:

http://thethirdguild.com/CADbuddy_3d.php

I think Allan Brito is not going to want to update his book, "Blender 3D Architecture, Buildings, and Scenery" for 2.5 until he can add you CADTools to his workflow.

Dave

Dave, thanks for comments.

LWCAD, CADbuddy, SketchUp - they are a great inspiration, though i try to forget all this when i am developing.
    Then the chance increases to produce something innovative.

My 2 cents: compatibility with 2.5 is a must to see this add-on achieve the popularity it deserves.
    I for one stumbled on this thread a few times already but was always put off by this 'issue'.
    I'm working on an hobbyist architectural model and in the same time learning the new 2.5 interface and workflow, and would never use the old 2.49 even if it is the current stable release intended for production.

Originally Posted by Carrozza View Post
    My 2 cents: compatibility with 2.5 is a must to see this add-on achieve the popularity it deserves.
    Thats right.
    Though popularity it is not the point here.
    Usability is more important than popularity for production tools and CADtools pretends to be one. I want to reach this through improving Stability and Completeness, that is not doable with 2.5x series yet.

It is simply too early to switch the platform.
    2.49 gives me more comfort by developing/debugging, cause i am not irritated by steady changing API. Working with new API needs extra time and effort that better i should invest in developing and stabilizing CADtools.
    Transit to mature 2.6 version ought to be much easier.

A big thank to all supporting me with feedback and donations.

migius

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and I intend to follow this particular thread with great interest. Just to give you some background on myself:

I am a junior electrical engineer in the consulting business, primarily using AutocCAD and Microstation (mosly 2D, but I can also use AutoCAD 3D). I work on various projects in the residential, commercial/institutional, and industrial/process/mining sectors.

Up until recently, I've never even heard of Blender; I only stumbled onto it while searching for open-source, cross-platform, 3D CAD software. Though I now know that Blender is not intended for any kind of work requiring CAD, I've come to understand that there are efforts (such as this one) underway to make Blender more CAD-capable. BlenderCAD is another Blender-based project that I know of, but nothing seems to be happening on that front. I also came across rab3D which is using Blender for CNC machining work, and the gentleman in charge (Robert Burke) seems to be making good progress.

Anyway, I hope CADtools works out well for its developer(s) as well as for its potential professional users. Maybe one day, once it fully matures, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Kris

Hi
    I just started to learn cadtools. The main aim - CAMERA-MATCH. But i can't understand how it works
    I watch lesson for 0.48 "cadtools_features_CAM_MATCH", but il's so differ with my cadtools-0.55.
    And program reports me about Blender 2.49b-CAD-edition. Do i need this version?
    The smat example for 0.55 will be great...

Originally Posted by brothermechanic View Post
    Hi
    I just started to learn cadtools. The main aim - CAMERA-MATCH. But i can't understand how it works
    I watch lesson for 0.48 "cadtools_features_CAM_MATCH", but il's so differ with my cadtools-0.55.
    And program reports me about Blender 2.49b-CAD-edition. Do i need this version?
    The smat example for 0.55 will be great...
    Yes, CAMERA-MATCH tool has significantly changed since version 0.48.
    No, to get core functionality of CAMERA-MATCH tool you don't need Blender 2.49b-CAD-edition.
    Sorry, the video-tutorial is not updated yet.
    Last edited by migius; 02-Dec-10 at 16:38.

development of BIM system and IFC-importer started!

Since December i am working on BIM (Building Information Modeling) implementation for Blender and on IFC-importer. It looks very promising - the very first prototype of IFC-importer is ready now!
    I have started an extra thread for this: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=209875

A few features in CADtools need Blender 2.49-CAD-edition.
    You will find it on GraphicAll.org: version for Win32 and for Linux32
    Last edited by migius; 25-May-11 at 07:48.

binaries update on graphicall.org:
    lately uploaded builds for win and linux were incomplete,
    i have corrected this today (2011.05.27)

I've read most of this thread and looked at the website... This seems like an excellent effort but ultimately wasted by a misguided attempt at financial reward. With your current approach, you're never going to get a critical mass of professional users. What motivation would they have to use a closed-source plugin in the open source Blender? Most of them, none. But, if it were open source and they could adapt the code to their needs, then the package would have a fighting chance. And if they can look at the code and see that it is good, you could make money with support and custom work. Plus of course there would be other synergies of the open source model coming into play. You could get patches from other coders, have more eyes on your code, have users go in completely unexpected directions, maybe even some form of relations with the Blender Foundation. Read that famous essay 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' by Eric Raymond. Good luck!

Originally Posted by konfusekitty View Post
    I've read most of this thread and looked at the website... This seems like an excellent effort but ultimately wasted by a misguided attempt at financial reward. With your current approach, you're never going to get a critical mass of professional users. What motivation would they have to use a closed-source plugin in the open source Blender? Most of them, none. But, if it were open source and they could adapt the code to their needs, then the package would have a fighting chance. And if they can look at the code and see that it is good, you could make money with support and custom work. Plus of course there would be other synergies of the open source model coming into play. You could get patches from other coders, have more eyes on your code, have users go in completely unexpected directions, maybe even some form of relations with the Blender Foundation. Read that famous essay 'The Cathedral and the Bazaar' by Eric Raymond. Good luck!
    hi konfusekitty,
    thanks for your tips, but they do not help much.
    The last 3.5 years i have dedicated exclusively to CAD enhancements for Blender. The part of this work is already released as open source: DXF-importer, DXF-exporter, and recently the IFC-importer. The rest will follow.
    My effort for this project is huge. I think it would be fair if users participate at developing costs.
    I have no idea how to manage financial participation within open source paradigm:
    - well working open source program generates no donations. At least this is my experience with DXF-importer script.
    - collaborative development probably doesn't work well if only project owner gets compensation (the only exception i know is Blender project, hehe)

My plan at present:
    1. prepare promotion materials to make CADtools known outside Blender community to find more people to support this project
    2. complete documentation as bonus for donating users.
    3. set up transparent fundraising system.
    4. open source at the end of fundraising phase.
    5. continue development: define a new goal and go to step 1.

What do you think about it?

migius

what about blender 2.5? we have engaged about this in the past, but are you working at all with 2.5?

My plan at present:
    1. prepare promotion materials to make CADtools known outside Blender community to find more people to support this project
    2. complete documentation as bonus for donating users.
    3. set up transparent fundraising system.
    4. open source at the end of fundraising phase.
    5. continue development: define a new goal and go to step 1.

What do you think about it?

migius
    I personaly don't have any need for the CAD tools so these are just general comments.
    You are in a very difficult situaltion. You've gone very far down the blender 2.49 route but I can't see many people wanting to support this project in the future unless its ported over to 2.5.
    I don't know how many people have downloaded or tried using it but the limited screenshots on the site look like a pretty horrendous layout, the normal blender UI was bad enough. You really need to show what features you have, this is where the documentation and demonstration screencasts are key. Unless you attract users who know how to use the software you won't get support.
    You're in a catch-22 situaltion, you need to port over to 2.5 before you get support but you need support to port over to 2.5.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast