Open collada on Ubuntu...

Has anyone out there got open collada revision 721 to build on Ubuntu 9.10 64bit?

Myself and a programmer from a tech firm I’m contracting with spent a couple of hours trying to get it to work this afternoon… It looks like it’s a bit broken…

Are people having success on other linux platforms?

Looking on graphicall there don’t seem to be builds with collada support for linux… which makes me think…

I ask here because the libraries are bundled for mac and windows,but it just seems extremely painful to get this to work on linux.

Opencollada as of now, is not supported on any flavour of Ubuntu 9.10 AFAIK (Trying to compille this will fail on these machines). We’re still running ubuntu 9.04 on the machines that need opencollada support in linux.

There’s even a report on the site, but the bug report mentions that the issue is still open:

“Comment 1 by rob…@opencollada.org, Jan 11, 2010 Thanks for reporting this issue. We will fix this, as soon as we have updated to
Ubuntu 9.10. On 9.04 it still builds fine.”

Ahhh, thanks… I guess it’ll be a while then as once fixed it’ll have to be rolled into blender…

Built it on Gentoo. Lot of warnings get thrown about comparing signed and unsigned values.

Seems to link up fine though. Haven’t really tested it extensively.

That “bug” for ubuntu is nothing but a missing include needed on newer versions of gcc.

I added a note under “Apply the patch” in the wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kazanbas/Building_Collada_Branch

Built mine using shared libs. Part that sucks is scons only builds the source - no install. You have to copy libs and include files to the system manually. :stuck_out_tongue:

#include <cstdio> have to be patched to opencollada/dae2ogre/include/DAE2OgreSerializer.h too. Otherwise OpenCollada is not compiled. I’ll fix BlenderWiki instruction.

just built successfully following the wiki on ubuntu 9.10 64bit.

okay, unfortunately im finding the collada exporter seems to be chopping of geometry - only about quarter of the faces are being converted. Tested in blender 2.49b and it does seems a specific problem with 2.5x? anyone else suffering, or suggest a work around?

did you patch lib ftoa when you built collada? there were some linux 64bit issues that made it trample stuff… there was a patch on the bf-commiters mailing list last month…

ive not, sounds like the possible cause - will try and search back through the archives (unless you can point me in the right direction).

Thanks,

http://opencollada.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=579893721504952107&name=opencollada_ftoa_fixed.diff

Thanks Fish, all I needed todo in the end was update SVN from rv 721 to the latest. Appears to be working now.

Had a chance to properly try the collada exporter - rig and animations all seem good, however its shame each animation “action” isn’t defined as a “animation_clip” inside the collada file.

File a feature request in the bug tracker and see what happens.