i.materialise bookend challenge [Entries closed]

Hello everyone,

i.materialise is back to present you a new challenge on Blenderartists. The product we chose this time is a bookend set.
Basically, you have a chance to design a figure which will be the essential part of your bookend set.

It can be pretty much any 3Ddesign, so let your imagination go wild!
The 3 winners, who will be selected by our jury, will receive a unique bookend set. You are able to submit your design until Monday February 22nd, 9AM (GMT+1)

We will 3Dprint the model, so there are a few basic rules:

• The model needs to fit in a bounding box of 8cm by 8cm, with a height of 12cm (use Blender units as reference)
  • Mind too small details, as 3Dprinters are not able to print those. As a rule of thumb, any detail bigger than 1mm can be 3Dprinted.
  • The model needs to consist out of one piece (we will add a ground plate to connect it with the bookend)
  • Don’t worry about file preparation for 3Dprinting, we will do that for you.

You want to join?

• Register on Blenderartists.org
  • Submit 3 screenshots (top, side and plain views) of your design by using ‘reply option’

By joining

• You state that you are the sole author of the 3Dmodel
  • You give i.materialise the right to use pictures of your design for marketing purposes.

Good luck guys! We hope to see many entries.
If you have any questions, feel free to post them.

Attached picture © copyright Blender Foundation | www.yofrankie.org

Attachments

hi mate … i’m interested :smiley: can we use a sculpting software only for sculpting purpose and the rest with blender ? ( no high details at all just to define the mesh ) …and also using a normal map to render it ? :smiley:

By saying:

The model needs to consist out of one piece (we will add a ground plate to connect it with the bookend)

Do you mean it has to be one totally connected mesh or can it have floating geometry as long as the geometry is intersecting other parts?

@agrmrs
sure :slight_smile:

@Yodaman921
Your mash can have floating geometry as long as there are intersecting parts.

hey i got a question:
can you upload more than 1 design? and, Can collors be printed? or is it going to be just 1 collor.

cool contest btw:p

ok cool!! so each blender unit is 1 CM?? Oh, and when we submit it, should we provide a .blend??

I’m in on this one. Already have a perfect idea on it too…

@roelant2
Multiple entries are welcome. We can 3D print in color, but our guys will check what particular technology fits best for a particular model.

@mokazon
Since Blender has only Blender units, I would recommend to use them as a reference. Make sure the quality of the model is on the level. Our team will check the model, and scale it if necessary. There is no need to attach .blend file, once we have the winners we will contact them via e-mail for the files.

@fastman50
good luck :wink:

Speaking of quality:
is there a guideline for the amount of faces/vertices/texturing details for the models?
Or can we go “all out” and cram 4000x4000 HD .bmp textures and a trillion faces in there?

I know, it won’t come out in print to that high resolution, but I tend to go overboard with details sometimes and before I notice my computer chokes on the details.

@hoxolotl
Unfortunately, we do not have any specific guideline at the moment.

There is no limit on the amount of faces/vertices/texturing details. I talked with our engineers about your question, and it is always better to have good quality model with sufficient faces, but do not get carried away :). Blender allows exporting files in *stl format (this is the format we are normally working with) and if the file is about 100 MB in size it will be alright, 500 MB file might be too detailed.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

thanx mate …i’ll try to participate :slight_smile:

sweet! sounds awesome! already got a model for it. is it alright to use something we’ve already made? i ask since sometimes people say you have to make something new for submission…

and in case it makes you happy, i just joined Blenderartists site just for this contest… =)

I’m gonna try my hand at this, sounds fun!

I’m sure you can use a model you already made, yes.

@aka_DrJ
@JESUSFRK14
you need to be an author of the model.

Good luck guys.

I guess I’ll join this one and see what happens :stuck_out_tongue: should be interesting

Ok i think i’m in on this one just haven’t decided yet what to model :slight_smile:

Where should I put pictures of models that took part in the competition? Can I give two models-ye choose, which is better

That sounds cool! Is this 3d printing going to be seld one day? can we use NGplant to create our 3D models?

Sounds like a fun challenge, might give it a go.

Can I use copyrighted stuff (eg. popular cartoon characters) if the modeling/designing/texturing etc. is still all mine?