Jacobethan Style Fountain WIP

Hey all,

Here is a fountain that i have been working on over the past week.

Its about 90% done modelling wise as i have still got to add some new pieces and refine what i have currently before i start to sculpt it (the triangular pieces on the arches need to be scaled as do the small pillars that connect the arch to the top middle trim).

Im definitely going to add more things like water spouts etc., along with some larger detail work on the Middle-Top part, but i wanted to get the whole basic shape done before i start focusing on small details.

Also im thinking about making a vaulted ceiling for the inside, which i think will look rather awesome.

Everything was modelled in in 2.49b 64bit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/th_Fountain_WIP9.jpg

Any comments and critique would be great :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking!

Thats really nice. Are their any drawbacks to using 2.49b x64 versus the version in 32 bit?

Thanks for the kind words!

IMHO any disadvantages of using 64bit are far outweighed by the benefits of being able to use as many polys as i need without worrying if Blender is going to crash etc.
FFMPEG, OpenAL or Quicktime are not supported but i never use those features anyway really, so for me at least its all gain gain :smiley:

amazing attention to detail!
i hope to see this textured

Really beautiful modeling!! I will love to see this when it is finished!

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

I will post more soon!

it looks like you modeled one part then just repeated it with a rotated mirror or array effect???

Yea, im using the Array, Mirror and Curve modifiers loads in this project as it doesn’t really make sense to model the same piece up to 30 times :stuck_out_tongue:
There are currently 68 unique objects in the scene (including Emptys)

The basic workflow for most parts is that i duplicate an object with Array and then rotate it by changing the Offset in the Array to “Object” which is then linked to an Empty, which in turn is then rotated by 11.25°, 22.5°, 45°, or 90° depending on the number of instances i require.
The Array count is then changed sometimes so it all lines up correctly (though most of the time i work this out before hand)
For the curved bricks im also adding a Curve modifier which is linked to a CurveCircle and then scaled to fit the area i need to fill.( Emptys are not used for these parts)

Hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Hey all,

Just a small update :slight_smile:

I made the vaulted ceiling and added some curved bricks that run across its edges, which will have some detail work sculpted on them later…i was also thinking about making a more decorative centre piece to give it all a little more focus.

Still wip but worth some crit i think :slight_smile:

Thanks for looking!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/th_Fountain_WIP10.jpg

If you used dupliverts or duplifaces to put the objects around, then you could’ve had the objects as instances which take up a bit less memory.

In 2.49 it’s not true instancing but that comes in 2.5. Instancing allowed the creation of 1000’s of leaves in the trees seen in Big Buck Bunny.

like, wow.
that is some great modeling! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments guys :slight_smile:

I looked into using this method though eventually chose the Array method as i found it more flexible in regards to my workflow…what would be really cool is if duplicated objects in an Array were automatically instanced as i cant really see any reason why they shouldn’t be (maybe a dev could shed some light on this for me?)
2.5 is looking awesome though…cant wait until it 2.49b feature complete so i can really start using it full time!

wow, that is really awesome!!! :smiley:

Thanks MeshWeaver :slight_smile:

I will get an update posted as soon as i can :slight_smile:

I really like it! Looks like a gazebo for prisoners in the 1500’s. LOL ( just cause of the bars across the windows)

Hey guys,

@Keith
Thanks man! :slight_smile:

Here is another update :slight_smile:

I have started blocking out the base, refined the arch top pieces, added some diamonds to the crowns and changed the profile of pillar bottoms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/th_Fountain_WIP11.jpg

Im started to get stoked at the prospect of sculpting this now…its going be sweet!

Comments and Crits. would be great!

the modeling is above my critique. i am waiting for texturing to critique

@Hamster Jack,

Thanks for the compliment!

Sculpting is next (after i finalise the modelling that is) but after that its texturing ahoy!

Hey guys,

I have added some spouts above the fountain bowls and added a spire to finish up the top…though you cant see it in the render very well, so for the moment i give you Generic Default ZBrush Material Screenie™!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/th_Fountain_WIP12.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/th_ZB_Spire.jpg

Im considering making the centre section a huge bowl rather than having it flat like it is currently…what do you guys think?

Any comments and crits would be sweet!

Very cool dude.

How did you create that sort of smooth yet beveled look for the top domes?