How import 3DS file with Python

Hi:

I am trying to load some 3DS files with Python, but I don’t have any
idea. I try with the Load method of Blender class, but it´s not possible,
becuase only can load .blend files.

Does anybody know how can load 3DS files with Python?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

the 3ds importer is just another python script.

load it as a module using “import”…

it’s probably a good idea to read through the 3ds script and work out which function is the main one so you can call it without needing the ui!

I have found the script “3ds_import.py”, but I don’t know how can i use. I have done import 3ds_import.py, but I have an error.

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

if i recall you use

import 3ds_import

ie no .py on the end…
then you can access functions within using a “.” and function name…

3ds_import.main
which will open a filebrowser to select the file to import

or

3ds_import.load_3ds(filename, context, IMPORT_CONSTRAIN_BOUNDS=10.0, IMAGE_SEARCH=True, APPLY_MATRIX=False)
which will need you to pass a filename to open and the context…

PS the filename will be a complete path to the file or a relative path from the working directory…

This is my code, but I have a invalid syntax error in the 2nd line, on the import.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

are you writing for 2.5 or 2.49?

in 2.5 you can:

bpy.ops.import_scene.autodesk_3ds()

http://www.blender.org/documentation/250PythonDoc/bpy.ops.import_scene.html#bpy.ops.import_scene.autodesk_3ds

I’ll have a look at 2.49 where you’d have to import the py script

I am in 2.49…
Thanks!!

the “import” command doesn’t like the 3 at the start of the script name… also it seems to want it in the root of the scripts folder,(i had it in a symbollic-linked sub folder)

I suggest you copy it to the right place and rename it (eg “autodesk_import”) and then in your script you should be able to use

import autodesk_import as ai

filename = '/mypathto/myfile.3ds"
ai.load_3ds(filename, PREF_UI= True)

Where I have to put the 3ds? In the same folder that i have the .blend file? Or all the path to the file (C:\…)

Thanks for your help!!

Edit: I have solve the problem!!

And what was the solution? can you show the code?

try this…

import bpy
bpy.ops.import_scene.autodesk_3ds(filepath = 'path/to/your/file.3DS', axis_forward='-Y', axis_up='Z', constrain_size=10, use_image_search=True, use_apply_transform=True)

You can change “axis_forward” and “axis_up” values if the models appear rotated.