Red Rings of Death!

I had often heard of the Xbox 360’s infamous red rings of death, but just prayed that they would never happen to me. Today I turned on my Xbox and was greeted with flashing red. Now I’m trying desperately to fix it, anyone else had experience with them?

I don’t have an x-box & never got into the PS or x-box. So I guess in a way, your red rings of death is another incentive for me not to invest I mean buy fancy gadgets!

That settles it then, run an Xbox 360 long enough and it’s guaranteed it will red-ring.

If the PS3 becomes cheaper with its exclusives and everything Microsoft may have to pull out of the console business altogether due to nearly everyone abandoning the 360 due to the errors and the nickle-and-diming Microsoft does through peripherals and Xbox live. Due to this people in the gaming community are abandoning the 360 at a rapid rate.

Who knows, the Xbox 720 may be when Microsoft gets a second chance, or it flops to the point Microsoft will literally be pleading with and begging people to buy it (perhap’s even throwing in Steve Ballmer’s childhood stuffed animals for free):stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I have to admit that although it IS definitely Microsoft’s fault that the 360 overheats, I did have it in a closed cabinet when it happened :o. Microsoft would have been better off not rushing through design to release before the PS3 and Wii and putting more itme into quality design. When I pulled open the console, I was greeted with bargain heat sinks and a s*** thermal paste job (both on top of about $150 chips).

As time goes on, I become more and more disappointed w/ Microsoft. Can they not get anything right?

They will fix it for you for free just give em a call.

My warranty ran out and no insurance so repair is $100 plus $50 shipping. Apparently.

That’s not great, but compared to out-of-warranty laptop repair costs it isn’t bad. Go get it done, and then get insurance on it.

Well, sad enough to say, You shouldn’t keep an xbox360 in a confined space like a closed cabinet, Unless you just slide it in for storage! xbox360 are good consoles, but they do not work well under heat. My xbox had the red rings once before, It was because the My xbox was not getting sufficient air. All I did when it happened was turn it off, let it cool ( DO NOT STICK IN THE FRIDGE OR OUTSIDE IN THE COLD! even though its summer :spin:. Cold temperatures can even ruin an xbox. But best to do is keep it out in a well ventilated area, if not at least keep a fan blowing on it on ‘low’ :wink:

– just a thought, Dylan.

Sorry for the double post, but You can probably go to ebay and look up a new xbox360, a friend of mine just got one two days ago from there 50$, and i dont know the shipping but it couldn’t have been more than 12$, But dont quote me on it! :wink:

This “nearly everyone” claim: any actual statistics to back that up?

Yes, M$ is a shitty company, but make no mistake -> they have firmly positioned themselves in the game industry, and they’ll be around for a very, very long time.

It’s the Windows situation all over again: It’s flawed, but almost everyone is used to it, and it’s the primary platform for the vast majority of developers (because it represents the core market).

And about the hardware failures: it’s obviously a case of planned obsolescence, just not documented as such (well, it’s probably well documented in some strategic document, but it’s not the kind of thing that would ever be made public). From a business perspective it makes perfect sense: even if you have only 10 games, at $60 a pop, that’s $600, and from that perspective $200 to replace the bricked console doesn’t seem like such a big deal.

Are you going to let those $600 worth of games just collect dust?

Also, regarding the next generation of hardware: don’t hold your breath. The systems that are out today are plenty powerful, and simply adding on more horsepower won’t change the end result by some significant margin - it would be a slight improvement at best, and that’s not going to produce the kind of returns that these companies would require to ship out a brand new generation.

There are, at the very least, 5 years left in the current line of systems.

Things are slowing down folks.

Also, regarding the next generation of hardware: don’t hold your breath. The systems that are out today are plenty powerful, and simply adding on more horsepower won’t change the end result by some significant margin - it would be a slight improvement at best, and that’s not going to produce the kind of returns that these companies would require to ship out a brand new generation.

There are, at the very least, 5 years left in the current line of systems.

Things are slowing down folks.

Things aren’t slowing down. And when processors get faster, graphics get better.

yes, things are far from slowing down. Microsoft’s coming out with a new thing called “Project Natal” Think of the Wii, but no controller at all. no “pre-set waggles”. Project Natal, is a code name for “controller-free gaming and entertainment experience”. Oddly enough, even though its an upgrade, it will still run off of the xbox 360 platform. Not a separate system, BUT It will be an upgraded version of the 360 platform. Hopefully they will fix the ever so infamous “rings of death”. Then again, I could be wrong.

Information on Natal follow link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Natal

I’ve noticed the Xbox 360 takes about 150 watts of power. That’s a lot more than any other game platform. I guess that heat has to go somewhere.

Well instead of bashing microsoft and xbox, I will actually help you. I have experience with the RRoD twice. The first time I sent it to a company, but they clearly didn’t fix it well enough, so the second time I avoided them. If you send it to Microsoft even with an expired warranty they will fix it for a decreased price as long as it wasn’t tampered with(i.e. you opened it yourself, or sent it somewhere else beforehand.).

not sure what country you are in, but in my country a warranty is worthless, since you can get them fix it for you for free anyway. The law here states the product must last for an expected state of time. You might have something similar.

You can only but try to get it fixed for free. It is afterall the games that they make their money on, the consoles are just the hook to tie you to the games.

I got the red ring of death and the warranty expired… I sent it off for repair and they said that some of the parts inside had melted and there was no way they could fix it… Does anyone know where I can get JUST THE CONSOLE no controllers wires etc., well maybe a power cable because they have changed recently…

Same in Australia, a product has to be free from manufacturer faults for the lifetime of the product.

The new 360 seems to have much better ventilation, and the latest chipsets seemed much less prone to the error. So it’s possible that it won’t fail any more than the PS3 or Wii, now. Ok i have 2 new games left4 dead 2 and borderlands for xbox360 i was playing them with no problem all of a sudden they dont work left4dead2 doesnot load up and borderlands freezes up i was told that they both have whats called the ring of death on the actual games.