Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [wip] A small steam engine

hope to see your tut on this one
    it's precision mechanism and require lot's of attention to details and not laways easy to understand the logic behind it

hope you can clarify this

good luck

very nice rigging work

happy 2.5

Hello again,

It's high time to show some progress with the engine. I've added some details. A single buffer with coupler, huge headlights and a small generator to power them:

Oh, and one more detail, the tender:

The whole model looks now like that:

Still more to come.

By the way, I have a little rigging problem which stops me from writing the valve gear tutorial. There is a screw with a box on it (see the figure below).

About twenty turns of the screw should make the box travel its whole length. The Transformation constraint does not deal with it (it works with rotations from range -180 to 180 degrees). Maybe you know some trick to cope with it?

I will appreciate any help and, as always, I'm looking forward to your questions and comments.

Cheers.
    "God is an engineer: he made damn good job but left no manual."

MIDI-driven animations | MIDI Driver Script | A small steam engine, WIP | Retro smartphone

My website/portfolio

Wow! Aweseome, I just started a train and it is posted here in works in progress. Hope it comes out half as good as that.

First off, great job so far!!! The rigging portion is going great. Keep up this level of detail, and one should be able to control how fast it goes down the track by how big of a fire they build in the boiler...hahaha

As to the hand crank/worm gear/block and rigging it up, I'd use a driver for this. See attached .blend file for 2.54.

Keep it up!
    Randy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    There's no such thing as gun control, but there is people control......
    My Vimeo Channel with Blender Tutorials

revolt_randy: Wow, that's exactly what I needed! Thank you very much for a hint and for the blend file. Here's a little result output for you:

Cheers.
    "God is an engineer: he made damn good job but left no manual."

MIDI-driven animations | MIDI Driver Script | A small steam engine, WIP | Retro smartphone

My website/portfolio

Your animation skills are outstanding! Your attention to detail is phenominal, really well done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12