Separate faces of mesh

Is there some tool in Blender to separate each face in mesh? For example, let’s say I have a cube with 8 verts, 6 faces. Now I do some black magic and result is the same cube, but with 24 verts and 6 faces (no vertices are shared between faces).

edit: I use Blender 2.49

took me a while to understand what you meant, but I got there :slight_smile:

so from what I understand, you want each of the 6 faces to not be connected to anything else. to do that, select the face, and press “Y”, which will split it off of the main piece - a very useful tool that I use often.

I think the tool is actually called “Split”

anyway, hope that helps! :smiley:

Hey, face split works nice, but it doesn’t work for whole mesh. I have to select like 50% of faces, hit split, then do with remaining half :confused: if I select all faces and do split, nothing happens

oh…well, I don’t know if you can actually do that :frowning: sorry…

edit - wait, if you selected 50% of faces, and hit Split, then it’s already split. if you try and split the other half it won’t do a thing 'cause there’s nothing to split it from…

You can do this with the extrusion tool.

1. Select everything
  2. Press ‘e’ (or ‘alt + e’ in blender 2.5)
  3. Select ‘individual faces’
  4. Right click with your mouse to cancel the extrusion
  5. Press ‘Ctrl + i’ to invert the selection
  6. delete the selection

You should now be left with a model identical to the original, with the difference that all faces are separated

1 Like

um…how would you do that in 2.5 though? I just tried, and they removed the Extrude Options menu in 2.5… :frowning:

…unless every tool now has a specific keyboard shortcut?

EDIT - never mind, I found the menu : Alt E :smiley: finally, after months of using 2.5, I finally find the good ol’ Extrude menu!

In step 6 of Morio, delete faces, otherwise you are left with other geometry introduced by the extrusion.