Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge

Bridge

The Bridge script has been integrated into the LoopTools add-on. You can read more about it in this post.

- original post follows below -

Introduction

Back in Blender 2.4x when you were in edit-mode and pressed F, you got the option "Skin Faces/Edge-Loops". Recently when I was working in 2.5 I needed this functionality as well, but unfortunately it isn't available yet in 2.5. Hence I decided to write my own implementation.

It works fine for my own needs, but if I'm not certain if it is useful for other people as well. Some examples:

Download and instructions
    I've implemented it as a python add-on that works with Blender 2.54.
    You can download the script from my website: <bridge version 1.0.0>

If you don't know how to install and enable add-ons, you can have a look at this video at BlenderCookie (installation at 3:24).

The add-on extends the functionality of the existing Make Edge/Face function. It leaves the old functionality untouched, but if you press the F-key and the old function can't handle it, the bridge function is executed. So the simple instructions are:
    - Install add-on
    - Enable add-on (it's called "Mesh: Bridge")
    - Make selection in editmode
    - Press F-key (or another key if you manually changed the keymap)

In the tool-panel two options show up after the tool has run.
    The first is "Reverse". This is an option you can enable if you get weird results.
    The second is "Mode". This determines the algorithm used for bridging. Most of the time "Shortest edge" should give the best results.

Request for help
    What I need feedback on is if it works as you would expect (no weird results, crashes, etc.) and if you miss anything. Especially feedback from experienced modellers is highly appreciated.
    If you get any weird results I'd be very happy if you could provide a .blend-file with the mesh that gives problems, or a picture (even though an images doesn't give all information).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Crouch; 25-Mar-11 at 16:46. Reason: Integration into LoopTools

This looks good, I'll test it over the next days and let you know of any issues etcetera.

Wow, I must say that this works remarkably well. None of my attempts to break the code have worked so far, it even knows to preserve quads

Really loving this script, thank you!

I think this has a good chance of getting into the official trunk later on. I can just dream about how this is going to work together with B-mesh

EDIT: Ok after some more intense testing I still haven't found a way to break the code, however, if I would re-load the startup scene or open up a scene I have problems getting it to work again.

Actually after the second time I switched scenes I haven't been able to get it to work at all.
    Last edited by NinthJake; 15-Sep-10 at 15:14.

Try disabling the add on and enabling it again and see what you get.
    Richard Culver

Very very nice Crouch!

Thanks, Crouch! Works great so far!

Ohhh thanks, I've been waiting for this. It seems really stable so far

Originally Posted by NinthJake View Post
    EDIT: Ok after some more intense testing I still haven't found a way to break the code, however, if I would re-load the startup scene or open up a scene I have problems getting it to work again.

Actually after the second time I switched scenes I haven't been able to get it to work at all.
    I don't know if this is your problem, but every time you File>New you need to re enable the add-on. It confused me a little bit at first

Here's an example of the script not working as I'd like it to. I'd like it to bridge a gap not fill in the end faces.
    http://www.screencast.com/users/blen...e-1ec3dfd42810
    The skin-faces option in 2.49 does work correctly in this case
    Last edited by Richard Marklew; 15-Sep-10 at 17:20.

Thanks for sharing Crouch.

Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
    I don't know if this is your problem, but every time you File>New you need to re enable the add-on. It confused me a little bit at first
    This is a known feature or issue? Because I was aware of this - see above. But if it is a "feature" what a pain.
    Richard Culver

Thanks for your sharing, it is really beneficial for me.

I was talking to NinthJake, but I think it's meant to be that way.

If you're just messing around with settings, everything will return to normal when starting a new file.

But if you want to keep the settings, then you just hit save as default.

That doesn't work apparently as I tried it on the Space bar menu. You still have to re-enable even if the settings are saved when you load up a scene such as a rig scene. Not sure why.
    Richard Culver

I think all of the settings are saved to the default blend. so if you're loading a new one, then the settings wouldn't be applied as they are pulled out of the new blend instead of the default.

I'm guessing, this is so you can have settings particular to the project you are currently working on. ie. one project/blend has certain settings, open up a different one that needs different settings and you wont have to mess around in the settings since they come with the blend, then switch back to the first without any settings hassle either.

It's definitely different than most apps, but seems like a faster workflow. It'll just take some getting used to.

But it would be nice to have a way to apply default blend settings to the current blend. So if you open up someone else's blend who has weird preferences, you can quickly set it to whatever you're used to.

I was so excited when I saw this, but I cant get it enabled in the preferences>addons tab. The script is there but the check box doesnt work for me, anyone else had this?
    “I would venture to warn against too great intimacy with artists as it is very seductive and a little dangerous.” - Queen Victoria

Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
    I think all of the settings are saved to the default blend. so if you're loading a new one, then the settings wouldn't be applied as they are pulled out of the new blend instead of the default.

I'm guessing, this is so you can have settings particular to the project you are currently working on. ie. one project/blend has certain settings, open up a different one that needs different settings and you wont have to mess around in the settings since they come with the blend, then switch back to the first without any settings hassle either.

It's definitely different than most apps, but seems like a faster workflow. It'll just take some getting used to.

But it would be nice to have a way to apply default blend settings to the current blend. So if you open up someone else's blend who has weird preferences, you can quickly set it to whatever you're used to.
    To be clear this is what I did:

Opened a default scene. Added an add on - in this case the Space Bar menu.

Saved this as a default. When I opened up a production file, the add on was there when you click to see what is enabled and it was also enabled. However hitting space bar does not invoke the add on, rather, it gives you the search menu.

The fix was to disable and enable.

From my experience certain things you enable in the default settings remain when you open a blend file. As far as I know, it is pretty much everything except screen spaces and basically all of the other things that get saved with a file, such as grid resolution and so on.

What is confusing is saving a default set up also saves the entire file. But if you load a new file only the preferences remain.This seems to be the case also in 2.5 In particular the add ons.

However there seems to be a bug or issue or something with add - ons. That is what I was asking about. Assuming you knew. Because the way you worded it.

Does any one know?

In any case, that may also be the fix for Ninth Jake - to get back to the point.
    Richard Culver

does this work for a sequence of edges so you can "loft" between a bunch of cross sections like the old one?

(I know, I'll download and try it myself, but can't 'til tonight (it's breakfast here!)
    Mike Williamson
    www.cowtoolsmedia.co.uk

Michael W > No, it doesn't.

Thanks for your script, Crouch.

It does not work as expected like Richard Culver said.
    Subivide a cube.
    Rip one half.
    Scale one edge loop.
    F.

Result :

Zimage.biz

There is no change if I turn choice to basic.

I just tried to reproduce it. And I have to use loop cut rather than subdivide.
    Quad to tris and tris to quad solve most part of the problem.

So I prefer to use you script rather than surface sketch. Thanks, again.

Thanks for your work, Crouch!
    Clever idea to leave the default 'F' shortcut adding features to existing one.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast