Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridge

Crouch,
    np, it's good to go when your ready.
    tracker pages are already made,
    wiki page needs to be done,
    so there's a few things needed.

Hello, this is very nice indeed,
    only thing I don't like in the first picture that in some cases it should rather do triangles and let the user decide if he wants to do the quadranculation himself.
    otherwise, looks really good, is it derived from the 2.49 bridge code?

What would be the reason for triangular preference? Triangles can't be coplanar and can "break" in many cases, making editing a pain. In many situations, quads are preferred because they can be coplanar, edited, subdivided and sub patched easier. Just wondering out of interest.

Version 1.2.0

Time for a new version that includes some of the functionality suggested in this thread.
    Changes in version 1.2.0:

• You can manually control the twist
    • Bridging is done in segments
    • Improved user interface
    • Added faces respect the smooth or flat shading of the mesh
    • New input method (using faces, see image below), in addition to existing methods

You can download Bridge 1.2.0 here.

I'm still having trouble of finding a way to respect the tangents of the mesh. If anybody has any ideas on how to do this I'd be happy to hear them.

@pildanovak: It isn't derived from the 2.49 code, it's written from scratch. I think in 2.49 the tool was coded in C, and I don't know that language unfortunately (nor do I know my way around Blender's source code).
    Last edited by Crouch; 01-Oct-10 at 09:49.

BRAVO CROUCH!!!

You bring new life to Blender!

Hi Crouch.

I have just tested bridge tool 1.2.0 with mesh circles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with mesh circles.
    Last edited by demohero; 01-Oct-10 at 10:15.

Looks great!

Is it for 2.54? I tried it and it does the bridge, but the UI doesn't appear after the bridge was done. In my test I selected 4 faces on each tube and it came out twisted and when I looked for the twist option, the UI in the tweak panel looks weird, like some cells are drawn but no real options there.

As for the Reverse option, I would suggest allowing negative numbers instead, to reduce options and seems a bit more straight forward just using one slider to make it twist one way or the other.

Thanks, it's shaping up really well !

Eclectiel

I tried it with latest win32 build (32231). When I bridge mesh circles, it tabs into object mode instead of bridging.

Last edited by demohero; 01-Oct-10 at 11:42.

This update is really great.
    It works perfectly for most of cases. (Bridge, Caps ...)
    Options are very usefull.

A little limit :
    The script need a face inside the mesh.

When multiple loops are not close to each other, not centered in the same plane; Twist is problematic.

Crouch, one word:
    Excellent!

Could you make a last step in the bridge-command: an automatic reverse calculation for the normals. Everytime i must click ctrl-n after bridging....

crouch. loving this ! and great to read this py code too !
    perhaps do in order, after your operation.
    - select all
    - remove doubles
    - a recalc normals

edit : uhm yeah, sortof what tungee said.

as for the respecting of the surfaces it's bridging from, dunno if you can guess what people want there
    it is easy enough to add edgeloop manually after the operation

love this.
    Last edited by zeffii; 01-Oct-10 at 11:48.

Thx !
    I tested between two subdivided cubes :

two rings doesnt bridge the inner shape
    bridge 3 faces to 2 faces works, but some vertices are doubles
    bridge 4 faces to 16, square, works, but some vertices are double.

Nice tool.

Some quick replies (I'm testing and fixing the remarks, as we speak).

demohero, zeauro: Bug confirmed, script fails if the mesh has no faces. Stupid mistake by me, will be fixed in the next release.

Eclectiel: Sorry, forgot to mention that the script needs a recent version of Blender. Blender 2.54 will not work. Anything later than build 32147 (which I'm using for development) should do it.
    The reverse option is not the same as a negative twist, but I can see how it could be useful to integrate them into a single parameter. I'll investigate this.

tungee: Good idea. While testing I somehow didn't have any faces that ended up with the wrong normals, but I've just done some extra tests and encountered the problem. Will be fixed in the next release.

zeffi, delic: double vertices bug confirmed. Not completely sure yet what is going wrong, but I've got some ideas.

delic: I've confirmed the double vertices bug, but I'm not certain what you mean with "two rings doesnt bridge the inner shape". Could you perhaps provide an image?

Thanks to all who already posted. You can expect a bugfix release within the next few hours. Any further feedback (or bug reports) is of course welcome.

Mean this :

Double post ..
    Last edited by delic; 01-Oct-10 at 12:26.

Time for the bugfix version. Bugs fixed:

• Crash if there are no faces in mesh
    • Incorrect face normals
    • Double vertices
    • Lack of faces when using minimum width for segments (found this bug myself)

I've also integrated the 'Reverse' option into the 'Twist' slider (use a negative twist-value for reverse). I'm curious if people find this more convenient. I'm not really certain about this change as it can be a bit deceiving at times, so opinions are welcome.

Download link: < Bridge 1.3.1 >
    The script needs a recent Blender build (32147 or later, Blender 2.54 won't work).
    Also make sure you've removed older versions of the script.

@zeauro: controlling the twist, when lofting is indeed problematic. This is because different parts might need different twists. The only solution is to delete the incorrect segments and bridge them again individually. This gives you full control of the twist.
    Best would of course be if the script would always find the correct twist, but this is sheer impossible. I might spend some more time trying to improve the intelligence of the script finding the correct twist, but it will never be 100% foolproof.

@delic: the problem is that the script considers that input to be 4 different loops (see image) and tries to loft them. I'll add it to my to-do list, as it is a bit of a mix between a bug and a new feature and takes some time to fix.

Also with no adjacent edges it doesnt loop, expected behaviour I guess.
    When one shared vertex selected like this, nothing happens when ctrl-f.

Donating Member
    Crouch,

you can glance at the code from the old bridge/loft - it should give you an idea of how cambo did the lofting which seemed to work pretty well.

Would this bridge work on one mesh? For example:

You have a hole in your mesh. You select an edge, then select the opposite edge. Run Bridge. It should fill the hole. I think this would be better than selecting four vertices and clicking F.

Is that possible with this?
    Check out my TUTORIALS on YouTube, and subscribe for more to come

@kris: you can already use F after select 2 edges. This script is usefull when you have to create several faces at once.

The important thing is to be able to model quickly.
    It is not a big problem to use the script twice for complicated case.
    There would be a problem if we have to run it 10 times to achieve what we want to do.

Declic screen capture are interesting. Maybe for Bmesh, it could be possible to have a multiple bridge feature.
    Like for knife, we would be able to use a pointer to select one selected faces region to connect to an other.
    But to really be faster, the feature should select and point region in same time.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast