avi raw = askew? (example file added)

This happened to me so bloody often. You do a nice vid render in blender, and when playing it back in blender all seems ok.

But then you play it back in any other app and get this:

http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/misc/wrong.jpg

Seems to happen only when setting the image size to something other than 100% in blender though.

The problem is probably with the video player.

Does this started happening recently, or?

Martin

Nope and it isn’t just in “a” video player… once this occurs it then appears so in all apps. Video editors as well as all players… though when I play it back in blender it’s fine.

I re rendered it in blender with the avi on a plane render at 100% 370 x 200 pixels… and it still happend… then rendered it again on a plane but this time at 100% 740 X 400 pixels… and now it’s fine. (there was a comp reboot between the 1st & 2nd render not between 2nd & 3rd).

I’ve been getting this problem off and on for quite a while now.

I don’t get it.

do you render with fields, by chance?

nope :wink: avi raw… plain & simple.

Assuming you’re under Windows, did you try running it in a non-DirectDraw player? Like VirtualDub for example.

Martin

yesyesyes… in everything… also video editors that are definitely not direct draw. There’s just a bug in the avi file (can’t be anything else) created by blender.

I’ll try to recreate it in a small avi raw and I’ll post a link

With certain video codecs, the resolution must be perfectly divisible by 8 (or 16 - not sure) but I wouldn’t have thought that applied to raw.

Try 370x192.

A bug is a bug and needs squashing, but meanwhile, try Quicktime with the lossless Animation CODEC :wink:

I’m doing 370 x 200 as a web publishing format because I’m doing my actual rendering at 740 x 400 which is 1:85 to 1 (that’s widescreen format), a little wider than 16 to 9 and a standard for movie theatres. I could of course add black bars to my render for web publishing to get the ratios up to a level where they can be divided by 8, but I’d do that in my video editor and not blender.

I haven’t registered quicktime yet and really… it shouldn’t happen in RAW AVI… I also haven’t been able to recreate the error yet. It’ll happen again I’m sure, just not sure when and posting a 144 mB avi would be a bit much I’m afraid.

Here is a file with the above mentioned problem… only 250kb ish

http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/misc/littleeye46.avi

divx codec… plays fine in windows media player and divx player but in virtualdub or my video editor (vegas video) it’s askew as the above.

O and when I test the vid in virtualdub it says “0 frames masked(0 frames bad, 0 frames good but undecodable).”

Cool a wide screen affect :smiley: (j/k)