armature IK Solver dilemma. look at my file.

http://www.blindslim.com/blended/020204.blend

PLEASE look at this thing and tell me:

I’m going through the armature tutorial. 5th, maybe 500th time. I’m at the part where you add the IK Solver.

I select the HAND bone.
ADD an IK solver.
Type “Armature”
The arm swings around.
I type “IK.Arm.R” into the next field.

The arm is supposed to swing back into place. I’ve done it before. There’s an arm right next to this one that’s doing it. But, since I messed up the elbow on this arm, I decided to do it all over, what the heck, I need the practice anyhow, right?

Please explain to me why this IK solver is not working.

Notes: I DID have a previous armature with all these names, but they’ve been deleted, and, would that have any affect over this?

come on y’all. help a brotha out!

you expect us to give you a response in 2 hours?

you are supposed to select IK.Arm.R and add an ik constraint
type the armature’s name
type Hand.R

also, is your hand bone completely seperate from the arm?

nope, that is part of your problem

ok, your arm chain should go like this:
upper arm -> lower arm-> ik
then, starting at the same place as the ik bone should be your hand

well. um. I was hopin…

you are supposed to select IK.Arm.R and add an ik constraint
type the armature’s name
type Hand.R

I tried that, with no success.

also, is your hand bone completely seperate from the arm?

nope, that is part of your problem

ACK! There’s no mention of this in the tutorial… in fact, the tutorial, it says, “Make a chain of 3 bones - the upper arm, the second one in the lower arm, and third one should fit the palm. This is called the chain of bones”.

ok, your arm chain should go like this:
upper arm -> lower arm-> ik
then, starting at the same place as the ik bone should be your hand

So, you’re saying the 3 bones should be the arm and the IK, and the HAND is separate.

You’re POSITIVE? Because the other arm in my file is NOT set up like that.

Thanks for your help.

I’m beggin. Please.

i don’t see the problem - i selected Hand.R, added an ik-constraint, and typed in this: Armature.001 >> IK.Arm.R. actually i first typed …>>IK.Arm:R. it didn’t work, of course. see the difference? check and recheck what you type, blender doesn’t promise mistakes like that !! :wink:

I think it’s something buggy with the file. I’ve tried everything. I’m starting over. Again - what the hey - I could use the practice.

sigh.

thanks for the help.

I you’re in a hurry to get answers it can be an good idea to ask in #blenderchat on irc.freenode.net [!]

I think it’s something buggy with the file. I’ve tried everything. I’m starting over.

this is strange because i got your file working within a second, and exactly the way it’s supposed to be. i uploaded the file, grab it here.