Super Mario Brothers Wallpapers - iMac

I did these almost six months ago when I was first learning the compositor (you can tell can’t you? I went a little overboard on the “lens distortion”…). Anyway, thought I’d share.

The cubes of the mario are barely noticeable, it looks like it only has lines. Other tnan that, I really like the wallpapers a lot, specially the koopa one, nice job!

That’s funny, Mario was the first one I did, and Koopa was the last. Hmm… guess I got better at it as I went. Thanks!

maybe if you set up better lights or change the materials for the render you can get a better result, wanna see it!

those are realy nice man.

i love this style! it almost looks like they’re screenshots from a motion graphics piece. maybe you should consider developing something along those lines :wink:

It’s like pixel art in Blender :open_mouth:

Hey thanks guys, I’m glad you like them! @ Brachi - unfortunately I did all of these at home except for Mario, I made that one at my old job - which, I imagine, was deleted when I left. Here’s another file I made up real quick for you to play with though. It doesn’t have any nodes set up, but the model and materials are there. (After downloading change the file extension to .zip and uncompress it, sorry can’t get it to upload to the forum otherwise.)

Attachments

8bit Mario.blend (144 KB)

wow, I just opened it and rendered it as it was, and looks pretty awesome, you should definitely post the pic. It looks easy to do if you have the pixel reference, and also very fun. It would be super cool to play with physics and do some animations where the cubes are moving and deforming the mario, I don’t know.

Did you work in a CG studio?

thanks for sharing the file

If you make a sweet render with that file you should post it up on here, go wild in the compositor and show us how it’s done buddy!

That’s funny, I had the same thought about a physics animation for this so I did end up doing a quick one not long after I made the wallpaper. I couldn’t get the .blend to upload though (even zipped), way too big, so instead I’ve just uploaded the video to Vimeo for you.

You are right though, all you need is a pixel reference and its pretty easy to do.

No, I’ve never worked in a studio, but thanks for the compliment!

https://vimeo.com/16949120