Error when trying to install blender

Hello,

When I try to install Blender 2.56a, after I did the first steps in the installation wizard, a strange error appears just before the installation begins:

Error opening file for writing:

c:\program files\Blender Foundation\Blender\avcodec-52.dll

Click abort to stop the installation,
Retry to try again, or
Ignore to skip this file.

Has anyone an idea please?

Thanks!

Have you tried just using the zip file download instead of the installer ?
Have you tried running the installer as an administrator ?

Hey,

Thanks for the response.

I’m running it as an administrator.
Apparantly, I can make it work with the zip file, but doesn’t it have major downsides when I’m not doing a real installation?

but doesn’t it have major downsides when I’m not doing a real installation?

Not really. The only things you’ll miss are automatically associating blend files to blender and a desktop shortcut, both of which can easily be done manually. As it says on the blender 2.5x download site

ANOTHER NOTE: The preferred way for installing Blender is the .zip. When installing as administrator still creates problems for non-administrator users.

I just discovered something. I now installed it in the “users\pieter</i>” directory like it is set to by default and it installs without any problem. For some reason it is not possible to install it under the “c:\program files</i>” directory. Why is this? I don’t want to install it under my user account, I have already enough folders there…

Probably something to do with administrator rights. There are a number of problems like this with the installer. When you said you installed as an administrator did you mean installed when logged in as the administrator or actually running the exe as an administrator, two different things. I believe you need to select as administrator in the exe properties or right click and ‘run as administrator’ I’m not on windows so this is just recollection. As I said, the official recommended install method is by using the zip.

Ok, thanks, then I’ll do that.

I love the whole open-source movement and programs like Firefox, Ubuntu and Wikipedia. I think it’s fantastic that these can exist alongside the commercial products, or even overcome them. So, I think it’s a pitty that installing Blender is a bit of a pain, no? I had problems before with making Blender 2.49b recognize the Python programming language I had just installed too.

Or maybe we are too spoiled. :slight_smile:

Installing Blender or any other program for that matter is not a pain if you know how to use a computer. It really bugs me that with computers having been in schools for 20 years that so many people don’t have a clue. If your OS is Vista or Windows 7 you really shouldn’t install to the “Program Files” folders. Yes this seems odd but if you don’t know if the program was designed too work with UAC then its better to just not take the chance.