Page 764 of 844 FirstFirst ... 264664714754762763764765766774814 ... LastLast
Results 15,261 to 15,280 of 16869
    you can't use light per object so far. you have to make render layers for that.
    but you can emit just glossy or diffuse, and the best way is to use checkboxes in the lamp's object properties
    Everything's relative. Even saying "Everything's relative".

Funny..or not I have the problem with light groups in a current project and no time to render several layers with cycles. Seems to be difficult to implement. This light groups and excluding or including objects from specific lights would be a realy realy great thing.. like the shadow catcher. Did not find a good trick to fake or achive this.
    Some "small" improvements that are not realy in focus by developers could bring us much forward. Thats no negative critique. Takes time i know... Anyways.. thanks a lot for everything and to everybody who brings us forward !
    Last edited by Piet; 09-Dec-15 at 15:12.

While I like render passes what Cycles really should have is the ability to link a light and object or better exclude an object from a light source. Then you could render it all at once. Thats what I do in Maya if needed.
    3D Design Generalist - Faculty Industrial + Interior Design
    Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Originally Posted by cekuhnen View Post
    While I like render passes what Cycles really should have is the ability to link a light and object or better exclude an object from a light source. Then you could render it all at once. Thats what I do in Maya if needed.
    Thats what I meant Would be an awesome step forward with cycles renderings and extreme time saving when rendering crazy ideas with cycles...like rims or whatever... in my opinion.

[edit] or maybe some highlights in eyes or something...there are lots of things.. would be realy great
    Last edited by Piet; 09-Dec-15 at 15:27.

Also what would be awesome is if Blender finally would get a move and snap pivot point command in edit / object mode without having to use the 3d courser approach !!! so much better in Alias or Maya.
    3D Design Generalist - Faculty Industrial + Interior Design
    Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Originally Posted by cekuhnen View Post
    Also what would be awesome is if Blender finally would get a move and snap pivot point command in edit / object mode without having to use the 3d courser approach !!! so much better in Alias or Maya.
    I made addon that work the way you want in obj mode. It won't work in edit mode.
    https://github.com/JoseConseco/PivotPro
    After installation, you will have button 'pivotPro' in bottom header of 3d view. When you enable it, you can double click in 3d view, to snap pivot to any edge, vert, face (depending on your snap settings). After that you can use temporary pivot (marked with red dot) for any transformation (work only with R,G,S hotkeys - won't work with gizmo). Not perfect but works.
    btw. when nothing is selected, you can use G key, to move temporary pivot to new place.
    Last edited by JoseConseco; 09-Dec-15 at 18:33.

Light linking, yeah. Wasn't sure whether the pathtracer nature of Cycles allowed it but I recently discovered Arnold allows it so... it's possible !

i asked it many times... "tags" to be set in material settings and found then in nodes, as lightpaths or attribute
    Everything's relative. Even saying "Everything's relative".

well... same old stuff Light linking, shaders Aov, and a better render layer system.

Right now I discovered that render layers blender limitations can be partially worked around using scenes. Still, it is not the most efficient thing to do, as the objects are actually duplicated for the new scene, and the blend file can get heavy pretty fast.
    Blender Cycles: Lighting and Rendering Cookbook - http://www.packtpub.com/blender-cycl...-cookbook/book
    ArtStation - https://www.artstation.com/artist/bernardo

SuperGood

Originally Posted by JoseConseco View Post
    I made addon that work the way you want in obj mode. It won't work in edit mode.
    https://github.com/JoseConseco/PivotPro
    After installation, you will have button 'pivotPro' in bottom header of 3d view. When you enable it, you can double click in 3d view, to snap pivot to any edge, vert, face (depending on your snap settings). After that you can use temporary pivot (marked with red dot) for any transformation (work only with R,G,S hotkeys - won't work with gizmo). Not perfect but works.
    btw. when nothing is selected, you can use G key, to move temporary pivot to new place.
    Thanks. Well done.
    Молодець. Гарно дякую.

Ty Jose, very very useful.

Originally Posted by lsscpp View Post
    you can't use light per object so far. you have to make render layers for that.
    but you can emit just glossy or diffuse, and the best way is to use checkboxes in the lamp's object properties
    Yes I know that, but I thought that maybe with a clever setup, things like that among other were possible.
    But then, what's possible with nodes?

Originally Posted by lsscpp View Post
    i asked it many times... "tags" to be set in material settings and found then in nodes, as lightpaths or attribute
    That would open many many doors for Cycles to get used by studios but I don't believe it's on the roadmap now. Is there any plans on this direction?
    Last edited by VincentG; 10-Dec-15 at 05:49.

Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    like the shadow catcher. Did not find a good trick to fake or achive this.
    Even Arnold can't do it well. It has a shadow catcher shader but it gives the same result as the shadow render passe of Cycles.

There is however a trick to do it very well, but it doubles the render time. You have to render a second beauty with lights casting no shadows and divide the first render by this one to get a clean and colored separate shadow pass.

shadow_pass.png
    Last edited by VincentG; 10-Dec-15 at 05:50.

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    well... same old stuff Light linking, shaders Aov, and a better render layer system.

Right now I discovered that render layers blender limitations can be partially worked around using scenes. Still, it is not the most efficient thing to do, as the objects are actually duplicated for the new scene, and the blend file can get heavy pretty fast.
    I have been using scenes for rendering out multiple layers as well. What I do to reduce overhead is to have one scene with everything modeled up and in the layers I want, then set that as the background scene of all of my render scenes. that way I don't have duplicated geometry.

Originally Posted by SterlingRoth View Post
    I have been using scenes for rendering out multiple layers as well. What I do to reduce overhead is to have one scene with everything modeled up and in the layers I want, then set that as the background scene of all of my render scenes. that way I don't have duplicated geometry.
    what do you mean by setting that scene as the background for all other rendere scenes? Could you explain a bit please? I am really interested in the argument.
    Blender Cycles: Lighting and Rendering Cookbook - http://www.packtpub.com/blender-cycl...-cookbook/book

Here is a custom build with Shadow catcher for those who are not aware, it's from Lukas Stockner.

http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/...=1#post2956522
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    what do you mean by setting that scene as the background for all other rendere scenes? Could you explain a bit please? I am really interested in the argument.
    In scene settings in Scene tab there is an option to activate another scene as a background scene (something like a reference)...
    People on my ignore list: DcVertice, Love 3D

that's really interesting, I will experiment with that! Thank you!

Yeah, what mara said. The only issue I have run into with the background scene is that you can't snap to the background. Kinda annoying when you are trying to place any objects in there. but other than that, it works great

Originally Posted by maraCZ View Post
    In scene settings in Scene tab there is an option to activate another scene as a background scene (something like a reference)...
    This is something I never knew about.....and now I plan on abusing this