Page 843 of 843 FirstFirst ... 343743793833841842843
Results 16,841 to 16,843 of 16843
    Originally Posted by m9105826 View Post
    Procedurals are pretty garbage in production. Depending on their usage they can increase render times anywhere from 2x to 100x or more. I doubt there's a single production today that doesn't bake their procedurals to textures for final renders.
    Care to elaborate on that math, because it doesn't add up here. Although I tend to mix bitmaps with procedurals or mix bitmaps with procedurals rather than rely completely on them, I can't bake them out because the often the purpose is to add randomness. Resulting bakes would have to be so big I'd run out of memory (gpu) - and I'd happily trade in a little time for getting it done at all. And I really mean "a little", not "2x to 100x or more". Also, ideas that start out complex may end up very simple in the end. And even if you do bake them out, decent generators are key to create the bake efficiently in the first place - not everyone uses external programs. Trying to mimic things like scratches using tons of generators will slow things down for sure - a single generator designed for the job would be a lot faster. Do you want to see bricks gone? Because it can probably be setup using nodes. Personally I'd like to see other voronoi metrics and distance controls, as well as 4D inputs and UV repetitions (4D inputs can be used to create 3D repetitions if time is then excluded). Another thing would be auxiliary coordinate mappings available anywhere (sphere, tube, disk, cone, box etc) not locked to image texture node.

Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
    Care to elaborate on that math, because it doesn't add up here. Although I tend to mix bitmaps with procedurals or mix bitmaps with procedurals rather than rely completely on them, I can't bake them out because the often the purpose is to add randomness. Resulting bakes would have to be so big I'd run out of memory (gpu) - and I'd happily trade in a little time for getting it done at all. And I really mean "a little", not "2x to 100x or more". Also, ideas that start out complex may end up very simple in the end. And even if you do bake them out, decent generators are key to create the bake efficiently in the first place - not everyone uses external programs. Trying to mimic things like scratches using tons of generators will slow things down for sure - a single generator designed for the job would be a lot faster. Do you want to see bricks gone? Because it can probably be setup using nodes. Personally I'd like to see other voronoi metrics and distance controls, as well as 4D inputs and UV repetitions (4D inputs can be used to create 3D repetitions if time is then excluded). Another thing would be auxiliary coordinate mappings available anywhere (sphere, tube, disk, cone, box etc) not locked to image texture node.
    I use procedurals in production all the time and donīt notice significant slow downs either. In fact I donīt know when I used a bitmap the last time. Even if there is some slow down when rendering, artist time is more valuable than cpu time, so it doesn't really matter imo.

Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
    The OptiX license is not compatible with Blender's GPL license, but it should be possible to create a separate program that denoises using passes coming out of Cycles (and other renderers).
    When OptiX 5 eventually gets released. At the moment, all we have is an announcement. If and how it will work with Cycles is something we can answer then.