Page 842 of 843 FirstFirst ... 342742792832840841842843 LastLast
Results 16,821 to 16,840 of 16844
    Originally Posted by skw View Post
    It will do wonders however for complex scenes with deformation motion blur - we've seen up to 10x speedups while saving memory.
    Oh, only with that I would be happy!

I suspect your version of Embree is built without ray masks enabled. For best results, you need to use my patched version of Embree: https://github.com/skwerner/embree/t...les_compatible
    Yes, I downloaded from there, but 2.17 file from the "release" link. I think I should have cloned from the repository, right?. I'm going to try cloning now
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Originally Posted by Geographic View Post
    Watched to youtube from Stefan,
    I think if we had a few better procedural textures methods (its quite limited at the moment)
    We might be able to work more often without a need for textures, and getting better results, at a lower memory footprint.

I dont like to use a 4k image just a because the camera is a few seconds close to an object, (or maybe its never close, but it just happened to be 4k in a material that i once used in another project)..
    A few more noise alike patterns, marble, star pattern, scratches, grunge, dirt, cracks.
    And patterns to more easily create concrete/asphalt bumps, or to create tree / wood surfaces.
    Personally i like to play a lot width cycles, but its not so productive to create procedural cracks/concrete etc.
    Sure there are some setups that work and give some version of some effect, but its pretty if you want to recreate some real photo based material. So despite i like to create such materials its a fun proces, i also think that it takes currently to much time from productions, despite cycles is fun to work width.
    Procedurals are pretty garbage in production. Depending on their usage they can increase render times anywhere from 2x to 100x or more. I doubt there's a single production today that doesn't bake their procedurals to textures for final renders.
    Long time 3D artist and member of the official Cycles Artists Module
    https://www.youtube.com/user/m9105826 - Training, other stuff. Like and subscribe for more!
    Follow me on Twitter: @mattheimlich or on my blog

i'm Stefan Werner, and I presented my current work for Tangent Animation at this year's Blender Conference. See a recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Ia4h8q3xs
    I remember watching your talk via live stream, just rewatched part of it again. Nicely presented, very interesting, exciting work for Blender. I'm looking forward to those features. Cryptomatte seems like magic.

Thank you very much for your work!
    Competition is great and fun for things like sports and games. For more serious matters cooperation might be a better approach.

It is time - ecogood.org

@skw, I get the artifact also if I clone from your git repository.
    Something I mention and maybe it's because I do not know how to set things up correctly. If I install embree with "cmake .." (/usr/local), blender is compiled successfully but then the binary can not be executed because it does not find "libembree.so.2". If I then install embree with PATH=/usr (/usr/include and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu), Blender can be executed.
    The same in the opposite direction. When embree is installed with PATH=/usr (/usr/include and /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu), compiling Blender at the end gives an error about there are no rules to build "/usr/lib/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libembree.so.2.17.0".

But as I said everything can be my mistakes, I'll wait for someone with more knowledge than mine to do tests in Linux (jens )
    Last edited by YAFU; 29-Nov-17 at 12:48.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Hi, can someone tell we at what wavelength in nm by default cycles measured IOR for materials?

With OpenShadingLanguage you have no limits when it comes to procedural texturing.
    Hm while that might be true (i dont know), I dont think most artist will dive deep into OSL, its like strange computer code.
    However reading about your texture caching, GPU's dont read from disk either, you use a CPU for that too.
    Perhaps procedural textures, could be created by the CPU just like your caching and then when the colors are known feed in place as texture, to be rendered by GPU. Then OSL might work, or at least additional procedural textures might be made. (without requiring additional GPU code).

well just an idea

PS i like to use procedural in production work as well, something that scales without worries is neat.
    Last edited by Razorblade; 29-Nov-17 at 19:15.

Originally Posted by wyslij View Post
    Hi, can someone tell we at what wavelength in nm by default cycles measured IOR for materials?
    I believe the IOR calculation is wavelength agnostic. If you want different wavelengths to have different IORs, then you have to build that into your shader nodes.

Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
    Hm while that might be true (i dont know), I dont think most artist will dive deep into OSL, its like strange computer code.
    If there aren't people to write OSL nodes, who should be writing procedural nodes in C then?
    However reading about your texture caching, GPU's dont read from disk either, you use a CPU for that too.
    Perhaps procedural textures, could be created by the CPU just like your caching and then when the colors are known feed in place as texture, to be rendered by GPU.
    Except that there is no texture caching for the GPU, so no, that is not going to work.

Originally Posted by SterlingRoth View Post
    I believe the IOR calculation is wavelength agnostic. If you want different wavelengths to have different IORs, then you have to build that into your shader nodes.
    Thank you for your answer. In my limited understanding, i suppose default wavelength should be implemented in cycles (even if it can be optional in BRDF).
    For example take a look at maxwell documentation:
    http://support.nextlimit.com/display...ion+-+ND+and+K

And try to put different wavelength to calculate IOR and Extinction coefficient (n and k) in sites like this one
    https://refractiveindex.info
    and you will get different results for different wave length.
    So it look like we should know what wavelength use cycles, if any, to in internal calculation!
    And what wavelength should user choose to get n and k for its material.
    Cheers!

^ wyslij
    read Thread: Cycles: Materials, RGB Curves and PBR-rendering [UPDATED]
    also know to differentiate between spectral VS non-spectral & so many more other details
    Last edited by burnin; 30-Nov-17 at 05:37.

I don't think cycles uses wave lengths at all. I believe cycles uses just RGB. It's not that physically correct, but it's quicker and the difference is usually unnoticeable.

^burnin, ^cdog thank you for your answer guys.

Originally Posted by skw
    Except that there is no texture caching for the GPU, so no, that is not going to work.
    Reading the comment and seen your youtube, and reading Razorblade, Razorblade might be onto something.
    Its the CPU who uploads the work to the GPU, its CPU code that can read disk ea provide geometry and textures to the GPU.
    So (OSL) pattern might as well be handled like a texture, pre calculated by CPU, then forwarded to the GPU as a calculated texture.
    Probably OSL has functions that might not be translated, it wouldnt be aware of other geometries and their positions.
    But when OSL only outputs a rgb color map, then perhaps there is hope ?.

But then that would be a project to convert OSL into cycles, not about adding more procedural variants.
    Last edited by Fweeb; 30-Nov-17 at 08:29.

Originally Posted by Geographic View Post
    Reading the comment and seen your youtube, and reading Razorblade, Razorblade might be onto something.
    Its the CPU who uploads the work to the GPU, its CPU code that can read disk ea provide geometry and textures to the GPU.
    All of the CPU work has to happen before the GPU can start its work. The GPU can't just arbitrarily call back to the CPU and ask for data.
    So (OSL) pattern might as well be handled like a texture, pre calculated by CPU, then forwarded to the GPU as a calculated texture.
    We call that baking.
    But when OSL only outputs a rgb color map, then perhaps there is hope ?.
    Yes, it's texture baking.

Originally Posted by wyslij View Post
    I remember there being some interesting stuff on "holographic materials" and "faked dispersion" in Cycles, which may be in relation to what you're thinking of with this. Problem is that I can't recall where exactly. AFAIK, it's buried in one of the mega-threads for materials/textures. Not fully correct, as either was achieved with this hacky RGB separation instead of some spectral process. (You'd need some other render engine besides Cycles to have light separate as it would with a prism.) In terms of the artistic sense, the methods pass the "good enough" criteria so it's not all bad.

Any idea if AI Denoiser from Nvidia will be compatible with cycles ?

It's already on Vray, Redshift, Clarisse etc and works on normal cards, not just quadro.
    So I hope that will be on Cycles too !

Hmmm... ... checked license on Optix?

Also from what i've read AI denoiser needs ~800MB VRAM alone.

PS. Wouldn't it suit better in the denoising build thread?

on similar (shader) note, i'm missing rough refraction in Glass shader, Volume refraction, roughness...
    ie. Have surface glossy & refraction rough, possibly variable - Anyone knows anything about?
    Last edited by burnin; 07-Dec-17 at 08:52.

Originally Posted by burnin View Post
    Hmmm... ... checked license on Optix?

Also from what i've read AI denoiser needs ~800MB VRAM alone.

PS. Wouldn't it suit better in the denoising build thread?

on similar (shader) note, i'm missing rough refraction in Glass shader, Volume refraction, roughness...
    ie. Have surface glossy & refraction rough, possibly variable - Anyone knows anything about?
    I have run into the same issue, usually I just set up a frensnel mix of a refraction node and a glossy node, then you can set the roughness separately for the two shaders.

yup, i do it the same but after a while i got tired of looking at it's fakeness... & is (IMHO) destroying the "looks good, feels good, renders fast" impression Cycles is gaining

Originally Posted by pitiwazou View Post
    Any idea if AI Denoiser from Nvidia will be compatible with cycles ?
    The OptiX license is not compatible with Blender's GPL license, but it should be possible to create a separate program that denoises using passes coming out of Cycles (and other renderers).