Page 852 of 852 FirstFirst ... 352752802842850851852
Results 17,021 to 17,032 of 17032
    The way random walk works, might it be apply-able to clouds as well ?. (ea an update to volume shaders).
    What i see from this shader is that if fades out color, and then i think edges of (dark bleu) thick clouds fading out to white would be quite a similar effect.

Originally Posted by Geographic View Post
    The way random walk works, might it be apply-able to clouds as well ?. (ea an update to volume shaders).
    What i see from this shader is that if fades out color, and then i think edges of (dark bleu) thick clouds fading out to white would be quite a similar effect.
    By default, volume bounces in Light Paths panel are set to zero. You should increase this number to obtain a better effect.

There would probably be a difficulty to use it with material using a texture to control density.
    But KWD is working on defining a tight mesh around a volume.
    https://developer.blender.org/D3038

AO and curvature nodes are something we think should be added to Cycles. Clearly some approximation of that is possible with existing nodes, but it can be much better.

Clouds can indeed already render with this type of scattering, it's just slower (partially because we can do more optimizations, partially because it's just inherently more work). The tight mesh around the volume will only help improve performance though, it will only be an internal thing, it's not going to change anything about texturing.
    Last edited by brecht; 15-Feb-18 at 10:55.

Is Lukas Stockner around?
    I tremendously need his "old" experimental build with IES lights but with the most recent additions (ao bounce, new sss random walk...) Basically latest nightly build but with experimental IES lights patch which worked like a charm.

I'm stucked with an old 2.8 build because of this
    Testing: Vray for Blender // Old projects: #1 - Eames chaise lounge #2 - Chester Interior

Originally Posted by marcoG_ita View Post
    Is Lukas Stockner around?
    I tremendously need his "old" experimental build with IES lights but with the most recent additions (ao bounce, new sss random walk...) Basically latest nightly build but with experimental IES lights patch which worked like a charm.

I'm stucked with an old 2.8 build because of this
    You might use 2.79+ with the ies import addon, if it still works in current Blender
    Everything's relative. Even saying "Everything's relative".

Hi. Do you know if Cycles currently supports CUDA 9.1? I just installed CUDA 9.1 on Kubuntu 18.04 and when I try to render from master I get "CUDA kernel compilation failed, see console for details":
    http://pasteall.org/826158

I have installed gcc 7.3.0 in the system.

Edit:
    You forget about my problem, I do not get a valid result with "nvcc -V" so it's probably a bad configuration of environment setup when I install cuda from .run file. I'm going to install CUDA from repositories.
    Last edited by YAFU; 17-Feb-18 at 11:19.
    Be patient, English is not my language.

Originally Posted by YAFU View Post
    Hi. Do you know if Cycles currently supports CUDA 9.1? I just installed CUDA 9.1 on Kubuntu 18.04 and when I try to render from master I get "CUDA kernel compilation failed, see console for details":
    http://pasteall.org/826158

I have installed gcc 7.3.0 in the system.
    I used CUDA 9 before (on Windows). That message says GCC versions later than 6 are not supported and you're trying to use 7.3.

Originally Posted by Cyaoeu View Post
    I used CUDA 9 before (on Windows). That message says GCC versions later than 6 are not supported and you're trying to use 7.3.
    Oh! my bad english. I confuse what "later" means. Anyway I have installed 4.8 and 6, I still can not compile kernel and I get the same error message.
    http://pasteall.org/826309

Of course I ran "install_deps.sh" script and I am able to compile Blender.

Edit:
    You forget about my problem, I do not get a valid result with "nvcc -V" so it's probably a bad configuration of environment setup when I install cuda from .run file. I'm going to install CUDA from repositories.
    Last edited by YAFU; 17-Feb-18 at 11:19.

Originally Posted by brecht View Post
    AO and curvature nodes are something we think should be added to Cycles. Clearly some approximation of that is possible with existing nodes, but it can be much better.
    Thank you, knowing this puts me to rest

Well, I have been able to correctly configure the CUDA environment installed from .run file on Kubuntu (ubuntu) 18.04. But after that, even when trying to compile CUDA samples, I kept getting gcc error. I have finished researching even in Chinese pages (I am almost at the limit of my mental abilities).

To configure the environment correctly I followed the explained in this link:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/9858...actions/985896

After that you check that you have CUDA environment correctly configured obtaining a correct output of the following command:
    Code:
     nvcc -V
    Well, even so when trying to compile Cycles kernel or CUDA samples you will get the error:
    "#error -- unsupported GNU version! gcc versions later than 6 are not supported!"

So you install gcc6 and create the following symbolic links as indicated on this page for CUDA to use gcc v6:
    https://adoubi.life/posts/2018-1-24/

That's from the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt install gcc-6 g++-6
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-6 /usr/local/cuda/bin/gcc
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/g++-6 /usr/local/cuda/bin/g++
    I'm not sure if Brecht can do from the Blender code to force use versions equal to or less than v6 in gcc.
    Last edited by YAFU; 17-Feb-18 at 19:54.

If you're building from master, you can also try setting WITH_CYCLES_CUBIN_COMPILER=On in cmake, should sidestep nvcc's gcc version obsession completely.

@LazyDodo. OK, thanks. I hope to remember that if I have that problem again in the future.