Fake SSS

Hey, Today I decided I would try to fake SSS in the BGE. Here is what I came up with:

It uses 5 lighting passes: 3 for the soft skin, 2 for the backlit red color. 6 Textures: 2 diffuse textures: Subdermal layer, and Diffuse, 2 normal map textures: detail, blurred x10, 1 color bleed map(not the right name for it…), and a spec map.

I am working on simplifying it, and reducing the amount of textures it needs. Any critics are welcome.

The head and textures I used are from: http://www.ir-ltd.net/infinite-3d-head-scan-released/comment-page-1#comment-129

Here are some cool pics:

wow, If all the textures a game looked that good, then you would need a 1.5gb+ videocard!

Actually all the textures used were 512x512 or 1024x1024.

A side note, I dont have a proper spec map on the model thats why he looks a little to shiny.

Ex.

Whoa. That’s even better than most game engines nowadays can handle (but of course, this is a single scene). It actually looks pretty close to reality to me. His hair, although short, should still have a little darkness, and his ears are a bit cartoon-ish. Also, the area where his nose and cheeks are is a bit too smooth - if those problems were fixed, I don’t know if I would be able to tell the difference!

This looks cool. Good Job.:smiley:

Thanks for the comments. I am almost ready to release, I made 3 versions of the shader, Complex, Mid, and Simple.

The complex version uses 3 lighting shaders all with a blurred normal map for diffused lighting.
The mid version uses 2 lighting shaders without the diffused lighting
The simple version only uses 1 shader.
They all use the same backlight setup.

The Complex version needs 6 textures: Diffuse, Epidermal, Detail Normal, Blurred normal, Spec, SSS map.
The Mid version needs 4 textures: Diffuse, Detail normal, Spec, SSS map.
The simple version also needs the same 4 textures.

I also cleaned up and optimized the nodes, now there are half of what they used to be.

Here are some screens:

Attachments

Mr Excalaberr. I know this was an old post but will this still work in the latest blender now? Was there any improvement and a simple method for sss skin since I’m not good with node although I know the use of node( in BGE only).

Sss in materials panel works in upbge.

but I can’t seem to make it work in bge mode like change sss scale or sss weight. It’s ok for cycle or blender render only.

Have you heard of Upbge? It has a built in SSS panel. You should try it out. https://download.upbge.org/

I’m use UPBGE 0.9.3 now and I need SSS adjustment to work in bge not render.

0.0.9.3?

Because they are still in 0.1x

works well for me :smiley: