Blender 2.60 Add-ons Collections Installer

Included add-ons details available below:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AjzX9UaOgIX_dE95MXV5Y05TVTFhcjZLTl9adE1OR2c&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Thank you.

Visit Download page here

any one tried this installer?.
its working or not?

i don’t wish to persuade you not to continue your development of this tool, but i do think it’s a little overkill having something like this installed to add/remove programs. People are justified in being potentially sceptical.

You will gain a greater audience by considering a platform independent approach. I don’t use windows at present so testing the installer isn’t going to be a great experience.

Consider writing an addon that creates a panel in the addons window (tho that might require some C to make a panel there in the first place), and enumerates a list with checkboxes from a predefined list of addons. One knows the svn locations of those addons and what folders need to be downloaded if there are dependancies etc. So downloading at runtime (if there is an internet connection) would be a solution to addons that get updated with regularity.

I see you’re gathering more add-ons to include in your installer. I think this is a good idea. At the moment, I already have the add-ons that this installer installs. I think if you can grow that list of add-ons a little more, especially with newer add-ons, you’ll get some more attention with this installer. I think it’ll be more beneficial when you have a lot of different add-ons to choose from. :cool:

Thanks for your valuable comment. i Update the Installer with more add-ons soon.

new_blender,
I’ll be discussing this with other script devs.
We are working on a cross platform system for updating scripts.
You can already use a svn client to update scripts to recent svn.

This Tutorial shows you how.

Anyway, I’m undecided if this is the correct method.

I have distributed scripts for years, but always did it cross platform & under the blender wiki & blender projects, not a personal site.
But I can see the need for such a Installer in some cases.
Being that you are relitivly new to this forum, I think it would have been nice if you spoke to the Addons team to get feedback & advice before unleashing this on the community.

Anyway, I’m undecided if this is the correct method. still :wink:

you can drop in to IRC Freenode #blenderpython & we can talk to get devs opinions.
That would be good.
Thanks.

@ Meta-Androcto,

i aware of Add-ons Manager, but for my convenient i created installer.in this community forum i read many thread, some user don’t know how to install scripts. just helped those who don’t know to install the scripts, and who are new to blender.

i using windows in long time, so i don’t know to create installer for Linux o mac os X.

if community support means i continue the installer…

Thanks.

hi,
some add-ons are updated by their authors, so its time to update installer.

What’s new:

[Updated: 15/05/2011]

• Inset Extrude (updated)
  • Theme Manager (updated)
  • Screencast key status tool (Added)
    Thanks

New Build [Updated 26/05/2011]

What’s New:

• Inset Extrude (Updated)
  • Inset Polygon (Updated)
  • Theme Manager (Updated)

I almost agreed with your post, until I read this:

Being that you are relitivly new to this forum, I think it would have been nice if you spoke to the Addons team to get feedback & advice before unleashing this on the community.

That disturbed the very core of my FOSS-infused DNA. This is open-source software–there are preferable methods, but there IS no “correct” method! Correct is rather relative in an open community. The best method is according to the user, and I don’t see the harm to the community of having this available. It’s not aiming to replace a SVN client or anything, so it doesn’t run counter to the efforts the Addons team is engaging in. Not everyone is accustomed to using a SVN client like TortoiseSVN. And actually, one advantage that an installer .exe has over SVN is in initial set-ups, esp. for new users. When you’re installing Blender for the first time or onto a new computer, you can just download this useful installer, have it install the latest Add-Ons for you, and if later down the road you wanted to employ a SVN client for keeping those installed Add-Ons updated, you can. I can see what you’re recommending, but I don’t see why you had to be so condescending on this idea with that line.

And though it’s not much a pain for those who use a SVN client, having a simple installer quite handy for portability reasons. Think about if you could include such an installer on a CD-ROM with a book you wrote, having the completely new Blender users install the add-ons for the meanwhile, and then perhaps later instructing them in the book how to take advantage of a SVN client. Again, I see you acknowledged that there could be uses for this installer, but given the nature of your rather watchdog comment, I don’t think you’ve thought of this. The worse this idea can do is not get used much! It wouldn’t interfere with your team’s efforts, or throw the community into chaos or cause new Blender users confusion–I think anybody with eyes can read the purpose of this simple little installer made by a fellow user. If anything, it’d be a little relief to a new user.

I understand that we have groups of people who come together for the benefit of developing ideas for Blender on behalf of the entire community, but still, if people are going to go making exclusive clubs or play watchdog for developing add-ons on an free and open-source software, that’s pretty much defeating the whole purpose of free and open-source software!

New Build [Updated 04/06/2011]

What’s New
Installer:

• Component Page Categorized for easily install add-on
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-MHT6wvYaL0k/TeoNYx9MRhI/AAAAAAAAAIA/Xb60mkr9CMA/component.jpg

Addons

• Beam Builder (added)
  • Column (added)
  • Inset Extrude (no change)
  • Inset Polygon (no change)
  • Motion Trail (no change)
  • Screencast Key Status Tool (no change)
  • Theme Manager (no change)

new_blender,

A simple email from you saying “Hi I’m thinking about doing a windows installer for Blender Scripts on Windows. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions on the best way to go about this?” would have been good & you would have received advice on how to do this in the most successful way.

you can drop in to IRC Freenode #blenderpython & we can talk to get devs opinions.
That would be good.
Thanks.

You know, maybe I could have actually help you & still would.
Also we could have discuss the pro’s & con’s of the installer method, it’s not the first time this has been done.
maybe it will be the first time it’s done right.

Thanks.

Upcoming release i add your script.

ok next time i add my collection of add-ons in .zip file

Sure i add more scripts in coming versions, i create PDF if users thinks my installer is useful.

Dear Friends,

Those who are trying this installer please give your feedback, how its installed correctly or not, and tell your suggestion to improve the installer. 

Thanks

New Build [Updated 07/06/2011]

What’s New

Addons

• Gyes (Random material Generator) (Added)
  • Laplace Lightning Generator (Added)
  • Oscurart Tools (Added)

Installer available for windows user, other OS user can now download the .zip file, install add-ons manually.

Thanks

Oh nice ! Now the one thing that remain is for you to add many more scripts. Also I was thinking that instead of a pdf that will be more work, just make the installer so the user each time it checks to install an add one, a very brief description tells him what the addon is about.

Great work!

well done , keep adding scripts.

Thanks Kilon.

Some of the add-ons not compatible with blender 2.57b, so not able to add more scripts.

So i decided to add some future in the installer. wait for next release.

Thanks

New Build [Updated 03/07/2011]

What’s New

Installer Updated to Blender 2.58.

For details about included addons check first post.

Thanks.

Hi.
Nice idea, but i have a question:

Does the installer check if theres a newer version of an addon installed?
or just simply overwrites everything at the addon folder?