Does anyone have a working ATI OpenGL driver DLL?

As many of you may know, Blender has been known to have various problems with ATI cards. Someone came up with the solution of copying the ATI OpenGL driver from a working version of the Catalyst drivers into your Blender directory. I have tried this, and it works wonderfully. I am attempting to do that same thing again, but I am encountering a problem.

When I use atioglxx.dll version 6.14.10.4054, I get the common slowdown problem. Everything is really snappy at first, but eventually Blender takes several seconds to respond to keystrokes.

When I use atioglxx 6.14.10.3561, the interface draws extremely slowly. (I can watch the menus being drawn.) Also, it takes extremely long to render when any OSA is turned on.

Now, I am wondering if anyone can offer me a version that works for them? Or tell me how I can get a single file out of the ATI driver installation packages. (I don’t want to change my entire Catalyst version).

I am running off an ATI mobility radeon 9600. This is for work, and I would like to get this working as soon as possible. Any responses are greatly appreciated

Thanks
Nate

Ok, I don’t know if you know what you’re doing so I’ll try to be as simple as possible :wink:
1-download the catalyst version you want (3.9 works for me)
2-extract the contents of the file (you can make as if you wanted to install the driver but just after the extraction of the files by the installation programm cancel and tou will find the files in C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-7-991-040224m-013831c\2KXP_INF\B_14006 )
3-the file you want is here, it is atioglxx.dl_ but it is a compressed .dll file
4-in order to decompress it, copy il somewhere, for exemple in C:
5-open a command line window, type CD C:
6-then type expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
7-finally, move the .dll file in blender main directory
that’s all ! :smiley:
easy ? isn’t it ?

thanks! thats exactly what i needed! Haha, I generally know what im doing, but obviously didnt think of this :expressionless: .

thanks again.

Hi Nate! Did you find a version that works for you? If yes, would you tell me the number or even send the dll to me?

easy ? isn’t it ?

hell, yea!!
I don’t have the slightest idea what you describe here - but due to massive perfomance problems with my radeon card in blender I thought I have nothing to loose and just tried following your step by step instruction. And here we go: blender works perfect now! thanks man! :smiley:

ulli

What are you talking about ?
Catalyst 3.9 or 4.3 ?
the drive number for Catalyst 3.9 is 6.14.10.6396 7-95-031028m-011774c,
The folder you are describing is drive 4.3, (as Catalyst 4.3 drive is 6.14.10.6430 7-991-040224m-013831c)

I can confirm that this sulution works. I downloaded cat3.9 from http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeonwinxppreviousdrivers.html , extracted the dll and moved it into the blender folder. This even works for my Radeon9600 Pro Turbo Mobile-Edition.

Wow, great topic! :smiley:

I did notice that the longer I was using Blender, the slower it would get on my Radeon 8500. I’ll have to try this out tonight.

So is it unanimous that the OpenGL dll from Catalyst 3.9 is the best to use for Blender?

Also, by doing this, if I have Catalyst 4.3 installed, when I play an OpenGL game, I assume that the game will use the OpenGL driver from the 4.3 driver set… correct?

Hi, all!

Luckily I’ve found this thread - I thought I am the only one with this annoying problem. But the solution above works fine with Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and the atioglxx.dll from Catalyst 3.9. (The system itself is still running on 4.3!!) Now blender is seriously FAST again! :slight_smile:

My question, why did you even bother with the 9800 SE? You’d be better off with the 9700 Pro - the SE version of a Radeon card is like a retarded cousin - half the wit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I have a Radeon 9600 XT, which is a great card, and I’m going to try the OpenGL DLL fix as soon as the CATALYST 3.9 drivers are downloaded.

Anyway, for those who are saying the Radeon cards suffer in-game as far as performance and image quality goes - you’re wrong. ATi Radeon cards (especially the new X800) have superior image quality and performance over their nVidia FX equivalents.

Anyway, nVidia supports OpenGL better, and ATi supports Direct3D better - so it’s a bit of a trade off I guess. Although, I’ve never had any problems running games that used OpenGL, so I can’t complain.

Although the new nVidia FX 6800U has 32 pixel pipelines, it only features a 400 mhz core, wheras the ATi Radeon X800 XT only has 16 pixel pipelines, but features a 700 mhz core. Again, it’s a bit of a trade off. But, from what I’ve seen, the X800 out-performs the 6800U. So an ATi fanatic I shall stay.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m just defending ATi here, folks. ATi does suffer in some DRIVER issues though, that’s one thing I hope they work out in the future - and that’s one thing I’ll give nVidia, rock solid drivers.

Well, I’m done, sorry for the long pseudo-rant. :wink:

Well, after just doing the OpenGL DLL fix, I have to say, I am overly impressed.

It works like a charm!

Thanks so much for the tip, now I can finally give Wings3D the boot. :smiley:

Hmmm… I just tryed this solution. And with that .dll I cannot open blender.

I get the message “blender.exe has experienced a problem and needs to close”

If I take that .dll out, it works again.

Any suggestions?

PS Blender 2.33a on Win XP Pro

Just wanted to thank Neo for the solution to one of my biggest annoyances with blender. Your directions were easy to follow and did the trick. No more close/load/load every 5-10 minutes or so.

Thanks!

I can confirm this is working with the 3.9 drivers.

If I run benchmark after putting atioglx.dll in the blender dir I get consistent framerates between 900-1000 fps.

It does NOT work with either 3.10, 4.1, 4.3 or 4.5, which leads me to think this is a regression in the GL drivers between 3.9 and 3.10 (or the Blender developers only got lucky up to that point :wink: )

With these drivers the benchmark framrate keeps dropping from around 450 fps right after I start blender, and then continues to drop down to 70 fps (at which point I didn’t bother to run any more benchmarks).

Weirdo bug, but at least it’s working for me now. Go with the GL drivers from the 3.9 driver set and you should be OK.

Update: Forgot to say, but my hardware is a Saphire 9600 Pro, and I’m running Blender 2.33a on WinXP.

Hey guys,

I tried the fix, downloaded catalyst 3.9 and copied (the expanded) atioglxx.dll to my blender dir (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender). The dll version is 6.14.10.4010, im not sure if its the right one because a few of you guys are saying different things.

Im using a Radeon VE 7000 on a Pentium IV with 512 MB RAM (Win XP Pro). All past versions of blender have worked fine for me, but this has me stumped. All the actual editing is fast enough, but the gui takes AGES to draw!

Am I doing something wrong or is it just time for me to get a new video card?

Thanks
James

In case anyone digs up this post again - let it be known far and wide that there is a workaround for this problem in the current CVS version of blender, and the testing builds on blender.org, and it will be in blender 2.34, due to be released early August.

perhaps it is time to try a build on blender.org

and a new video card [an nvidia] couldn’t hurt much

phlip wrote:

In case anyone digs up this post again - let it be known far and wide that there is a workaround for this problem in the current CVS version of blender, and the testing builds on blender.org

I tried several of the most recent test builds (including ‘bf-blender / windows ATI slow ui fix’) and they make no difference.
The quick fix of putting the dll of catylst 3.9 into the blender directory did enhance it a bit but not the drawing speed of the interface. I found that turning down the hardware acceleration feature on the grahics card (Radeon IGP 345M) did increase the drawing speed but still far from perfect.

will this workaround that you say will be in Blender 2.34 solve the problem for every type of ati card or will it only be solved for certain cards and if so which ones?

mostly only the gradual slowdown to blender having several second delays

so, if your graphics card … is dated and ati … there is not much we can, or probably will do

the big rumour atm is that the cat 4.8 drivers will have a lot of openGL improvements to enable ati to compete with nvidia with the release of Doom3
fingers crossed :slight_smile: they will be release in beginning of August.
I’m not getting the slowdown but am having the background image slow problem and fullscreen I lose the cursor between clicks, and getting artifacts where cursor was, otherwise the omega 4.7 is working sweet

have you seen this?
http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=6f214515d9e1be99e95dae415717e86c&threadid=51186&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
UPDATE:
OK, the latency for the AGP bus for ATI cards is indeed 255! even when you select 32 in your BIOS.
if you search your registry for DisableProgPCILatency and change the value from 0 to 1 this will be changed on the next restart to 32!!!

just manually going through registry (find next) for that entry and changing to 1 in about 10 places as per post on second page gave me a 300 blender benchmark jump. :slight_smile: