geodesic script v2.0 alpha release

First the bad news. This is very alpha, and will crash occasionally.
I feel like I’m losing focus on this and need some feedback to determine if I’m heading in the right direction.

So, I don’t want bug reports, cos I know about most of them.

What I want is comments on:

1. The GUI.

Is it a step forward? Annoying? Obvious? Does it resize properly?
Are there too many buttons and sliders? (probably yes)

1. The basic idea.

The script takes the original idea of applying different finishes to a basic geodesic shape and extends it to using other shapes (torus,sphere)

ftp://members.aol.com/demalion2/geodesic-2-alpha.zip

ftp://members.aol.com/demalion2/geodesic-2-alpha.gz

Maybe I should split it into single scripts rather than one monolithic lump?

Comments welcome.

Andy

I think this script is stunning. A great time saver. Its gone in my user preferences for sure.

1. GUI. I thik the tabs are a great idea. It all makes sense to me. I Just wasnt totally aware at first, that it’s not necessary to find a “MAKE IT SO” button. The fact that you have got the buttons to resize so well is amazing. NO there arent too many sliders or buttons.

2. I think the basic Idea is brilliant. I love the torus feature. Great for sculpting tyres, washers etc. All of it actually. Shapes I couldn’t dream of creating by hand.

Looking forward to its completiion.

Cheers

Sorry for my dumbness, but what does the script do?

Sounds cool from the posts here already though 8)

a bit of google gave me this:
http://members.aol.com/medusa1989/geodesic.jpg

:o :o :o :o

WHOA!! NICE!

serendipity, haven’t heard from you in a while.

I just found your geodesic-2-alpha, and will give it a close look. Do you or anyone have a reference to published material which defines geodesic terms?

Very nice,

I loved the original Geodesic dome script, an update is very wellcome :slight_smile:

Your GUI implementation is nice and logically structured but it is really a pain for console messages :slight_smile: I get hundreds of lines of special characters on console and my machine beeps wildly, maybe it’s because it is just an Alpha?

The ‘dynamic redraw’ is way cool but you should either adda ‘redraw’ button or force a redraw when you chamnge panel. Rightr now if you change panel the geodesic drawn stays… i.e. if you have a dome and you switch to torus you still see a dome untill you change something.

Personally I prefear monolithic scripts, easier to handle and distribute, but you might wish to separate the GUI and distribute it as a library for others to use :slight_smile:

In this latter case I strongly encourage you in using more comments :wink:

Stefano

Half a year old thread…

I don’t think Serendipity is listening…

Too bad… looks lovely

Greetings guys.

Please note slight change of name.

Sorry about the lack of replies, life has been intruding somewhat, with computer meltdown, a funeral, illness and accident all occupying my attention recently.

Profuse apologies to Stefano for not replying to your post. I haven’t actually been monitoring Elysiun for a while, but still. Your comments, as always, are very wise.

It will take a while for me to get back into the swing of development, but Geodesic will rise again.

Andy

Hey!

WB, don’t worry, my post is only 4 days old :slight_smile:

Stefano

Aaaaaand apologies to Okchoir for not answering his question.

The only actual book I have about Geodesics is "Geodesic Math And How To Use It " by Hugh Kenner (isbn 0-520-23931-8 ), a recent reprint of a classic text on the subject.

Early (unreleased) versions of my geodesic program were based on Richard Bono’s Dome program, which in turn used the techniques and formulae in this book.

After the initial flurry of enthusiasm for geodesic domes in the 50’s and 60’s, most of the books and printed matter on the subject went out of print.

A web search using as many different terms connected to geodesic should turn up some sites (and a lot of chaff).

The bookmarks I made during my research are trapped in a disused pc at the moment… sorry.

Andy

Hey, serendipiti, welcome back. And thanks for the book reference. I, too, have been using Bono’s Dome program for years.

Your geodesic-2-alpha script is great. Please, start development again. I’ll be one of your alpha/beta testers, and more feedback about the current version is coming soon.

I just become of aware of your Geodesic v2 scripted blend because of the goo.py in another thread, I searched your profile to learn you authored the geo 1.4 version which is great. Version 2 looks incredible.

the GUI is an Excellent design, Intuitive and it behaves well on a scaled down 1024 x 768 laptop. I like all the choices of geometry and look forward to your updates.

Blend3d

Most likely would be better in two parts

Do you make an honnor of pulling old thread with pointless comment?
[!] :-?
please bring back old thread only if you have something realy new to say on the subject.
I think it was mentionned in the rules somewhere.

I got a script error when trying to access the “hub” function but then… it’s empty and that could cause the error.

yeah, that bit isn’t finished in the alpha. The beta will be crawling into the sunlight in about a month (if real life doesn’t get in the way).

Sorry it’s taking so long guys.

andy