Thread: Baby monkey

Baby monkey

I've been working on a baby monkey during the past week for a contest . My main idea was to make it look a little bit disturbing ( like crazy/ stupid or something) but still cute.

My first ( poor) sketch was this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monkey.PNG 
Views:	2773 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	161863
    Since I don't have much time to finish it, after getting the general idea, and looking for a lot of image reference for hands and feet i had to move on to the next part: modelling.

So that's when I opened Blender, and did this:

Name:	mono360.PNG 
Views:	190 
Size:	465.5 KB 
ID:	161864
    A closer look to hands and feet:

Name:	monkeyhandfeet.PNG 
Views:	179 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	161865

Almost there... particles still need some work.

Name:	monkey.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	162168

Why no comments? This is really cool! You definitely got your "cute" effect My only crit is the feet/hands, they're too human!

Looks good. Yeah, the feet and hands are a bit too human. :P And what's this? No tail? O.o
    My website: http://eligovero.webs.com
    I was originally known as Sonic14

Thanks for commenting! You are right, hands are too human, even though I used a monkey's hand reference. I considered doing a tail, but didn't know if it would fit well. I have to finish this one before saturday, so if I have some time left, maybe I'll add him one.

Do you work for pixar? Looks so cool!
    Yes... I'm a girl.... Blender user since Blender 1.60
    "WE WILL RISE FROM THE DEAD, FIGHT ALL THAT APPOSE US, AND CLAIM OUR THRONE ONCE AGAIN!!!!" -Blender 2.49 Lord Leader

I also think that hands and feet are not quite right, they look kind of flat. Perhaps more cartoon like instead of real like would be better. They're also small for my taste, but the small feet add a lot to the 'cuteness'.

I like the general effect, definitely it's something wrong with him (in a positive way, of course).

You have done a good job capturing the child like nature of the character, but certain elements that gives the monkey personality are not strong or are not refined enough.

For example: ears,face,hands and feet are all not monkey like enough. so the illusion is broken. The ears,face,hands,feet and bending limbs are key to capturing the nature of a monkey, even if it's a stylized design those elements are needed to create the strong essence of the character.

@McThingy Thanks! Maybe some day... in a hundred years or so.

@DMarz Thanks for your critiques I'm gonna do something with the hands before I finish it, it seems to be the most evident flaw.

@DarkLimit Thanks a lot for your honest critique, I'll try to go into further detail on those parts.

Some slight improvement in the hands and ears, feet are not gonna be shown in the finel render, so I think I won't touch them. Added a wooden pacifier :P and I'm working on a little blanket. After that, I'll probably sculpt the face a little to get some more details ( through a normal map) and I'll have to redo most of the particles, so I still have a lot of things to do!.

Name:	mono3.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	162285