VisFX Blender Project 6: Cycles Compositing WIP

Hey everyone!

This is the official work in progress thread for my latest VisFX Blender project. I’m starting a WIP thread because this project will, most likely, take longer than a week. Feel free to leave feedback and criticism as I update!

Here’s the robot I modeled that I’m using:

And here’s an initial composite test using Cycles (I realize the shadow is off, but it’s a proof of concept that it’s feasible! :D):

I already, essentially, have a composite working, but this project is bigger than one shot…which is why it’s going to take longer than the week.

As always, when the project is done, I’ll be making a full breakdown…so no questions on how I’m accomplishing things in the meantime :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be posting more this weekend. In the meantime, feel free to let me know what your thoughts are!

Very nice! Can’t wait to see it when it’s finished :wink:

Good luck

Hey everyone! Just a quick update.

Thanks, Bash_I! I appreciate it!

Here’s a first quick animation preview of one of the shots!

Let me know what you think thus far!

Wow, neat video, I like how you used a monitor as the robot’s head, you going to animate a face on it?
Neat robot!

Another WIP still from a shot from this project! :smiley:

Isn’t he adorable?

Again, any comments, criticisms, etc are always appreciated!

Just out of curiosity what version of Blender are you using?

Since I was trying to use cycles to composite footage together to only find there were no render layers, therefore being unable to split up the alpha channels of objects.

Explain your magic. :v

@DefaultSound: Hey, I’m using a recent build from Graphicall…I believe, however, that it’s older than Blender 2.61

I’ll be going over different compositing techniques and workarounds with Cycles in the breakdown after I finish the project. However, you can get transparency with your renders by clicking the “transparent” checkbox under “film” under the render settings :D.

This looks really good. I can’t wait to see the breakdown !

Thanks Magician, I’ve actually found a way now to separate layers using scenes. I’m not sure if thats the way you came around doing it but it works :smiley:

http://i.imgur.com/1f218l.png

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

@DefaultSound: Cool stuff! That’s not how I’m approaching it, but I suppose that’s one way to do it!

Anyway, here’s another image:

I plan on finishing this thing this weekend, but it depends on a few things that I can’t disclose. I’m about halfway done as is! :smiley:

Those shadows look great.