Page 11 of 136 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    I have 290.10 in ubuntu 64bits so it is or a bug in the Toolkit4.1 or some function deprecated or who knows.

Link to the good CUDA Toolkit 4.0
    >>> Neytiri WIP <<<
    When explanations are complex you know there is no Truth on it.
    Tangled Fan Art

Yeah, and there's no guarantee 4.1 would offer Cycles any real benefit at this point in it's development . . . I wont waste any more time with 4.1 til Brecht does something with it.

I dont know if this new to anyone but Cycles (CPU) seems to love bandwith like crazy.

Originally Posted by anaho View Post
    I dont know if this new to anyone but Cycles (CPU) seems to love bandwith like crazy.
    Whether you are using a CPU or a GPU, Cycles is very processor intensive. Which is why having a dedicated GPU can help so much. Modern GPUs are much better at performing the types of calculations used by Cycles than 'general-purpose' CPUs.

Unless you fill the limited Vram

AMD Phenom X4 925
    GeForce GTX 460
    Running Gentoo Linux
    GPU: 1:11.63
    CPU: 6:13.44
    OpenCL: 3:08.44
    I'll mention, my poor HP laptop with a quad core A8-3500m took like 11+ minutes.
    Last edited by abbey_normal; 02-Feb-12 at 22:32. Reason: Added OpenCL

Originally Posted by anaho View Post
    Unless you fill the limited Vram
    True, but proper scene design can mitigate a lot of that.

Is it not better to post also the memory capacity ,type and memory bus for example 1280MB GDDR5 192bit. Or should I look at the cuda core for better performance.
    Last edited by antonvdh; 03-Feb-12 at 07:28.

Originally Posted by antonvdh View Post
    Is it not better to post also the memory capacity ,type and memory bus for example 1280MB GDDR5 192bit. Or should I look at the cuda core for better performance.
    agree. also whether one is running 32-bit or 64-bit IMHO.

I'll try the scene today on my fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 64-bit, ver. 11.10.

Oh wow!! BIG difference between Win 7 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu with XFCE ...
    same system as before

Pentium D dual 3.4Ghz, 3G DDR2 RAM, PCIe ATI x600 256M
    time: 00:26:29.96
    under win 7 32-bit that was 01:00:24.?? ... less that HALF the time!!!!

has we seen any tesla results yet?

imagine nvidia sponsoring blender fund. to have mango rendered on one of this machines, nvidia maximus.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/11/nvid...e-workstation/

Originally Posted by aermartin View Post
    has we seen any tesla results yet?

imagine nvidia sponsoring blender fund. to have mango rendered on one of this machines, nvidia maximus.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/11/nvid...e-workstation/

Yeah, only problem is you'd have to sell one kidney to get one of those... Oh, wait, that's not enough. You have to sell both kidneys...

You know, the maximus video got me thinking: wouldn't it be swell to have CUDA support for bullet physics and fluid simulator in Blender? I'd really love to use my GPUs to accelerate those simulations.

UPDATE: Hmmm, I just checked that Bullet physics in fact DOES support CUDA since 2.73 (present version is 2.79). I wonder what would take to get that into Blender.

UPDATE2: Heck, 2.77 even has OpenCL support. Having an updated Bullet physics in Blender is starting to become a must.
    Last edited by JuanJosé Torres; 06-Feb-12 at 19:30.

@juanjosetorres true true, I think officially bullet 3.x will start using OpenCL they might have it in there but ... on their site. anyways agree, OpenCL particles and fluid (if possible, maybe to advance calculations for GPUPU).

yeah not worth it for us, I think 3 geforce in SLI is cheaper and maybe better. but would be cool fi nvidia sponsored blender fundation mango project with a maximus ^^. Would be good promo to show cycles running for them using CUDA:

Originally Posted by aermartin View Post
    yeah not worth it for us, I think 3 geforce in SLI is cheaper and maybe better. but would be cool fi nvidia sponsored blender fundation mango project with a maximus ^^. Would be good promo to show cycles running for them using CUDA:
    Yes, that would certainly help to promote Blender as a professional tool. It would also be interesting if it leads to Nvidia adding official support for Blender in their drivers.

I'm also concerned with general OpenCL support in Cycles. I hope it matures fast. Has anyone gotten it to work in Cycles with multi-gpu? I've been able to use it in a single GPU, but not on two.

Hello, today I have done my first trial with Cycles in multi GPU mode (build r43935 on Graphicall), and it doesn't behave as I expected :
    The preferences allow the use of one of the available GPUs, or all the GPUs, but it is not possible to use Two of Three available GPUs for example. I have one GTX 260 for display, and Two GTX 580 3GB for rendering, and I can't use the Two GTX 580. Except if I select all GPUs, but the rendering time is equal or worse than with only one GTX 580, and I think that the availlable memory amount will be the amount of the weakest card, so I would like to use the two big cards and exclude the GTX 260 (like I do with Octane). I tested with Cuda. OpenCL gives only a black screen.
    My config : Win7x64Pro. IntelQuadXtreme9650.3GHz. 8GB RAM. One GTX 260 for display. Two GTX 580-3GB for rendering, in a Cubix-Xpander Pro2.

Is there a build allowing more flexible combinations of GPUs ? Do you know if this is being studied ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Philippe.
    ► My website in English : www.3d-synthesis.com/index_english.html

► Mon site web en Français : www.3d-synthesis.com

In short: no multiple GPU support yet. Read the wiki notes on known issues/roadmap about this.
    I don't know about the builds.
    Originally Posted by ROUBAL View Post
    Hello, today I have done my first trial with Cycles in multi GPU mode (build r43935 on Graphicall), and it doesn't behave as I expected :
    The preferences allow the use of one of the available GPUs, or all the GPUs, but it is not possible to use Two of Three available GPUs for example. I have one GTX 260 for display, and Two GTX 580 3GB for rendering, and I can't use the Two GTX 580. Except if I select all GPUs, but the rendering time is equal or worse than with only one GTX 580, and I think that the availlable memory amount will be the amount of the weakest card, so I would like to use the two big cards and exclude the GTX 260 (like I do with Octane). I tested with Cuda. OpenCL gives only a black screen.
    My config : Win7x64Pro. IntelQuadXtreme9650.3GHz. 8GB RAM. One GTX 260 for display. Two GTX 580-3GB for rendering, in a Cubix-Xpander Pro2.

Is there a build allowing more flexible combinations of GPUs ? Do you know if this is being studied ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Philippe.
    "You can't handle the tris!"
    My blog: Everything 3D
    My Blender e-book: Creating Diamonds in Blender

Originally Posted by Andreu View Post
    In short: no multiple GPU support yet. Read the wiki notes on known issues/roadmap about this.
    I don't know about the builds.
    In short: you are completely wrong. Main development branch already supports multiple GPUs. It doesn't scale very well, but it can use more than one GPU to render a single frame. Rendering with multiple GPUs works perfectly under CUDA, but OpenCL will crash. You can try it in the latest build from blender buildbot.

As for the flexibility in selectable GPUs, last time I used Blender in a 3 GPU setup, I could select any of the possible combinations from the dropdown menu. Right now I'm using a 2 x GTX580 setup, so I can't confirm the present behaviour of blender with 3 GPUs.

Cool, thanks for pointing out the multiple GPU enabled builds. It's true, I had no idea they were around. Not that I can take advantage of them anyway...

Originally Posted by JuanJosé Torres View Post
    In short: you are completely wrong. Main development branch already supports multiple GPUs. It doesn't scale very well, but it can use more than one GPU to render a single frame. Rendering with multiple GPUs works perfectly under CUDA, but OpenCL will crash. You can try it in the latest build from blender buildbot.

As for the flexibility in selectable GPUs, last time I used Blender in a 3 GPU setup, I could select any of the possible combinations from the dropdown menu. Right now I'm using a 2 x GTX580 setup, so I can't confirm the present behaviour of blender with 3 GPUs.
    Last edited by Andreu; 07-Feb-12 at 20:18.
    "You can't handle the tris!"
    My blog: Everything 3D
    My Blender e-book: Creating Diamonds in Blender

Thanks. Well, I will have to wait for more advanced builts, I think.
    ► My website in English : www.3d-synthesis.com/index_english.html

► Mon site web en Français : www.3d-synthesis.com

Page 11 of 136 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast